1. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    09 Mar '11 19:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Nimzo my friend, have you been with me so long that you are yet unaware of the
    games that I posted originally, the games of Master Colle himself which were
    masterpieces of the tactical art. Indeed the game in which Colle himself sacrificed two
    knights and the exchange? How more brilliant can you get my friend? If i find a
    queen sacrifice w ...[text shortened]... 29. Rh5 {with a couple of extra pawns which are enough for a win.} 1-0[/pgn]
    so much attacking power should be forbidden! some people play chess to relax, not to get heart attacks because of a storm on the board...
  2. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    09 Mar '11 21:02
    Holy crap Batman.. I'm out of the country for one day and look what happens to my thread. It's back to a two way tie now. PR to emerge again. Double or quits.

Mike
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '11 21:321 edit
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    so much attacking power should be forbidden! some people play chess to relax, not to get heart attacks because of a storm on the board...
    It was relentless i know, amazing how a huge estuary starts with a trickle from a little rock high in the mountains 🙂
  4. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    09 Mar '11 21:52
    It was relentless i know, amazing how a huge estuary starts with a trickle from a little rock high in the mountains 🙂
    i wonder for quite some time, in which situations 'lifting the rook' will just backfire. i try to avoid h3/a3 for some time now, hoping to make a meaningful rooklift...

you say '... in this line ...' in your comments. do you have another colle-example pro/contra rooklifting?
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    09 Mar '11 22:01
    Nimzo my friend, have you been with me so long that you are yet unaware of the
    games that I posted originally, the games of Master Colle himself which were
    masterpieces of the tactical art. Indeed the game in which Colle himself sacrificed two
    knights and the exchange? How more brilliant can you get my friend? If i find a
    queen sacrifice w ...[text shortened]... 29. Rh5 {with a couple of extra pawns which are enough for a win.} 1-0[/pgn]
    nice game!
  6. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    09 Mar '11 22:11
    ah and a side question: why not 26. ..Bxf7?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '11 22:224 edits
    i wonder for quite some time, in which situations 'lifting the rook' will just backfire. i try to avoid h3/a3 for some time now, hoping to make a meaningful rooklift...

you say '... in this line ...' in your comments. do you have another colle-example pro/contra rooklifting?
    hi, yes indeed, I have sixteen games in database with this line, white scores
    tremendously. If you look at the position, it appears that the absence, of the knight on
    f6 contributes to the weakness of the h-file, especially the h7 point. There may be
    other factors as well, lack of central pawns etc.

8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Mar '11 23:35
    Here is an interesting game in which black tries to thwart the rook lift but white
    succeeds anyway

Manning v Gediminas, 2004
  9. e4
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 00:30
    Hi Robbo

(Gosh this Colle crap is finding it's way onto every thread) 😉

Black screwed this up defending.
    Very instructive what happens if the Rook is taken.
    White needs to toss in the Knight as well.

Black has just played 21....Rf7? inviting ideas of a sac on g6 and
    suddenly leaving a Queen with her knickers down on e8 (unprotected).

The coming combination is based on the unprotected Queen
    on e8 with mate as the backdrop.

(Robbie you should be explaining this).

Skipped though the rest of game.
    Nothing to do with opening and I'm sure Black slipped in a few more
    not quite best moves to lose this.
    Perhaps White let him back in but it 'feels' jerky.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 06:381 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Robbo

(Gosh this Colle crap is finding it's way onto every thread) 😉

Black screwed this up defending.
    Very instructive what happens if the Rook is taken.
    White needs to toss in the Knight as well.

[fen]r1b1q1k1/pp2br1p/4pppR/8/3P1B2/3Q1N2/PP3PPP/R5K1 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Black has just played 21....Rf7? inviting ideas of a sac on g6 and
    sudd
    not quite best moves to lose this.
    Perhaps White let him back in but it 'feels' jerky.
    hi Gp, it was late, my mind was fried! Plus its not me that was intent on introducing the Colle, it was Nimzo, he just had to do it! Plus i thought tharkesh question was an excellent, indeed what is the criteria for a successful rook lift! and why does Chernev speak so badly against little moves like h3 or ...h6 when you see them being played all the time by masters! they even give them fancy names like prophylactic moves! These things are consuming my thoughts at the moment! Never the less, nice post, at the time i really wondered about the rook sac, but i could not find either the will power or the brain power to try to work it out, so i just posted the game and let a boffin like you do it instead.
  11. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 12:40
    Here is an interesting game in which black tries to thwart the rook lift but white
    succeeds anyway

Manning v Gediminas, 2004
    Nice draw.
  12. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 12:481 edit
    ah and a side question: why not 26. ..Bxf7?
    It appears that 26.Bxf7 was is the move actually played.
  13. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 13:04
    Originally posted by moon1969
    It appears that 26.Bxf7 was is the move actually played.
    hehe, yes it was was. but 26. .. Bxf7 was not played. Maybe I wrote it wrong, BxBf7 is maybe correct, not so sure qith notation yet.

Or to rephrase: why didnt black take the bishop with its bishop on move 26.?
  14. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 15:28
    pawn riot new number 1, well done.
  15. gumtree
    Moves
    10 Mar '11 17:18
    Originally posted by roma45
    pawn riot new number 1, well done.
    Yes, good to see a bit of competition at the top instead of just one perpetually at the top of the tree. And to PAWN RIOT: Well done sir! Don't let the buggers grind you down just because you can play better than they can.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree