1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:30
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    When someone directly says something, they are not "implying" it. So is Nordly's statement factually correct or not?
    If you read the thread, I said she was implying something.

She then responded and asked what she was implying and included the text that I quoted.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:321 edit
    Originally posted by Red Night
    I already said that I probably would.

1. I don't care that much about "friendly" games.

2. I already had beaten the player once.

3. The player had done well to get 32 moves into the game a pawn up. If they offered a draw at that point, I'd probably take it.
    BS.

1) If the game was so "friendly", it should have been unrated;

2) So what? You don't try as hard in the second game, if you win the first one?;

3) Do you really sit there and think "Boy, my opponent is doing well; if he offers a draw I'll take it?".

EDIT: BTW, the player rated 900 points higher is up the pawn.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:32
    If you read the thread, I said she was implying something.

She then responded and asked what she was implying and included the text that I quoted.
    For the third time:

Is her statement factually correct or not?
  4. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:352 edits
    BS.

1) If the game was so "friendly", it should have been unrated;

2) So what? You don't try as hard in the second game, if you win the first one?;

3) Do you really sit there and think "Boy, my opponent is doing well; if he offers a draw I'll take it?".
    1. I have played friendlies that are un-rated and rated.

2. What do I really have to gain? In this case 8 rating points?

3. Yes, I have had those thoughts. Particularly where I had nothing substantial to gain from a win.
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:361 edit
    For the third time:

Is her statement factually correct or not?
    I do not feel that I have done sufficient research to give an expert opinion on common practice in this matter.

HOWEVER, I will say that I don't think it violates the TOS.

Do you?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:39
    1. I have played friendlies that are un-rated and rated.

2. What do I really have to gain? In this case 8 rating points?

3. Yes, I have had those thoughts. Particularly where I had nothing to gain from a win.
    2) Then why bother to play in the first place?

3) Then why bother to play in the first place?

A player rated 900 points higher is up a pawn in an interesting position. According to you he's thinking "Oh, I don't care about this game; I'll take a draw". Nonsense.
  7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:44
    2) Then why bother to play in the first place?

A player rated 900 points higher is up a pawn in an interesting position. According to you he's thinking "Oh, I don't care about this game; I'll take a draw". Nonsense.
    2 = Most of the time I play friendly games because someone I know from the site PM's me and asks. I'm usually not that excited to play those games, but I try to accomodate my friends and clan mates.

"Nonsense" = Not really. You haven't played a game on this site in quite some time, so perhaps you have forgotten how easy it is to end up with more games than you want. Why concentrate on winning a complicated game against a friend, when that time could be spent on more important Tournament, League, or Clan games?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:45
    I do not feel that I have done sufficient research to give an expert opinion on common practice in this matter.

HOWEVER, I will say that I don't think it violates the TOS.

Do you?
    Who's talking about the TOS? Galaxy Shield asked a question; of all the posters in this thread only you feel that the result of this game ending in a draw at the point it did makes sense. This is an open forum where people can express their opinion regarding chess related matters. They are and you have a problem with it. Too bad.
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:45
    Who's talking about the TOS? Galaxy Shield asked a question; of all the posters in this thread only you feel that the result of this game ending in a draw at the point it did makes sense. This is an open forum where people can express their opinion regarding chess related matters. They are and you have a problem with it. Too bad.
    So, you agree that this is not a violation of the TOS?
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:47
    So, you agree that this is not a violation of the TOS?
    That depends on why the draw was agreed to.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:481 edit
    2 = Most of the time I play friendly games because someone I know from the site PM's me and asks. I'm usually not that excited to play those games, but I try to accomodate my friends and clan mates.

"Nonsense" = Not really. You haven't played a game on this site in quite some time, so perhaps you have forgotten how easy it is to end up with more ...[text shortened]... friend, when that time could be spent on more important Tournament, League, or Clan games?
    The game started on January 10, 2007. http://www.timeforchess.com/gameanalysis/pgncutandpaste.php?gameid=3003283

What was the rush to all of a sudden agree to a draw?

SeaDevil isn't in a clan and plays pretty much only in games with long time controls.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:49
    Thanks for clearing that up Lolle.
    How does that 'clear it up'?

P-
  13. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:56
    I tell you what: enjoy your witch hunt.
  14. The sky
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 18:02
    I think the statement is correct in that it was clearly what Nordlys was implying.

I think the additional implication was that there was something nefarious going on.
    That's your interpretation. It wasn't me who was "explaining" the draw by saying that the players are related to each other. I was asking how that was an explanation because I could not (and still cannot) see how it would explain things. I tend to assume that people have a good reason for what they are doing (call me naive if you want), and I can't see how being in family would be a good reason for that draw. You seemed to find it obvious, but still haven't explained it. Or maybe both Lolette and you are being sarcastic and actually making an accusation?
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 18:12
    I tell you what: enjoy your witch hunt.
    You are the only one here making insinuations and reading tones on valid questions about a game that ended in a draw.

I'm still wondering how this situation was 'solved' in your mind when you found out the 2 people are related.

Well? What is it about 2 people being related that explains a draw against a higher rated player when the lower rated player is a pawn down?

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree