Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    03 Apr '07 22:09
    User 193881

Is there no end to it?
  2. 03 Apr '07 22:10
    How do they figure out if they are cheating?
  3. 03 Apr '07 22:11
    Originally posted by RabbitCold
    Tea leaves.
  4. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    03 Apr '07 22:18
    Originally posted by RabbitCold
    Anyone rated above 2000 for 50 or more games is obviously a cheat.
  5. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    03 Apr '07 22:34
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Anyone rated above 2000 for 50 or more games is obviously a cheat.
    nah, they just don't play the grob.
  6. 03 Apr '07 22:49
    as we all know, jimster is a program user, and he was banned.
    but does it make sense to you when a program loses? I mean think about it, only World Chess Champs can stand a chance against the program.
    here are a few examples of people sandbagging a program:
    Game 2250837
    Game 2288180

I hope you people can get the message
  7. Standard member Hindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    03 Apr '07 22:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    User 193881

Is there no end to it?
    That'll be another ex-metallica member....

Having said that, I wouldn't know if they were legit or not. I played GOGITOTX in the 2006 tourney and found him to be chatty and and nice - I had no reason to suspect him. However, I would be slaughtered by anyone above 1800 anyway so what do I know....
  8. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    03 Apr '07 22:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    but does it make sense to you when a program loses? I mean think about it, only World Chess Champs can stand a chance against the program.
    Game 2250837
    Game 2288180

You're talking out of your hearse. Engines aren't invincible.
    Game 1514982

D

[EDIT] Do you know what sandbagging means?
  9. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    03 Apr '07 23:33
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I am confused. Why wasn't this game a draw? Granted, a King standing alone against two bishops and a king seems hopeless, but I don't see how you could mate with two bishops and a king. Stalemate, yes, but how would you ever force the opposing king into the corner? Could someone explain it to me? Thanks.
  10. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    03 Apr '07 23:59
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    I am confused. Why wasn't this game a draw? Granted, a King standing alone against two bishops and a king seems hopeless, but I don't see how you could mate with two bishops and a king. Stalemate, yes, but how would you ever force the opposing king into the corner? Could someone explain it to me? Thanks.
    Google is your friend
  11. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    04 Apr '07 08:39
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    I posted a load of these some time back.

Here is how to force a win with 2Bs

Thread 57676
  12. 04 Apr '07 09:02
    Game 2288180
    Impressive game, I doubt that any Super Gm can win that endgame OTB,black played it almost perfectly, I checked it with a tablebase only 5 slight inaccuracies that prolonged the win, but none gave it away.
  13. 04 Apr '07 09:19
    Game 2288180
    No French Defense?
  14. 04 Apr '07 13:41
    Game 2250837
    Game 2288180

This is a foolish statement.

Rather than address it myself, I will quote this article.
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3749

One thing to keep in mind about computers is that they are great at short-term tactics, but terrible at long-range planning. The difference between computers and humans is even more pronounced in correspondence chess than in OTB chess -- but in favor of the human player. It's even possible for average players to outthink a computer at correspondence time controls. Correspondence Master Jon Edwards (one of the strongest postal players ever produced by the United States) once told me that he actually hopes that his opponents are using computers, as he feels that he can outplay any computer at correspondence time controls, due to the computer's lack of positional understanding..
  15. 04 Apr '07 14:24
    Originally posted by zebano
    Rather than address it myself, I will quote this article.
    Imagine Rybka taking 3 days per move to think. What rating would this equate to? Now, do you think anything playing at that rating could possibly do so while also being “terrible at long-range planning”? Of course not. I disagree with what Steve Lopez wrote; he often talks crap while trying to promote Chessbase products.

Very few people could beat a top computer at CC while not having engine assistance themselves.