1. Joined
    24 May '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 07:20
    A reminder that this is on BBC4 at 21:00 GMT tomorrow.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017srys
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 09:462 edits
    Originally posted by Zygalski
    A reminder that this is on BBC4 at 21:00 GMT tomorrow.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017srys
    more sensationalistic journalism, just because Bobby could not be bought doesn't
    make him a mad man, i resent all such assertions, nothing personal to you Zyglaski,
    but ive seen enough documentaries on Fischer that are nothing more than
    unsubstantiated insinuations and distortions of fact.
  3. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 12:46
    Nice! Hadn't heard about that! Hope it is available in the US at some point!
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 15:35
    Just my opinion, but his focus about money makes me think that he could be bought. There were things he did because the money was good, and things he passed up because the money was not to his liking.

I don't necessarily fault him for that (we all have to eat), but I won't romanticize him either.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 15:44
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Just my opinion, but his focus about money makes me think that he could be bought. There were things he did because the money was good, and things he passed up because the money was not to his liking.

I don't necessarily fault him for that (we all have to eat), but I won't romanticize him either.
    booo, he practically gave away all his dosh from the 72 final to some crazy evangelical
    church while his mom was living in some measly flat in London, no way anyone can
    accuse Fischer of base materialism, he turned down millions in endorsements and
    when it was insinuated that he played Spassky purely for money, he was prepared to
    play him just for the chess! he just didn't like people making money from his name,
    people like Fox, who were not entitled to.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 15:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    booo, he practically gave away all his dosh from the 72 final to some crazy evangelical
    church while his mom was living in some measly flat in London...
    Does this at least get him an honorable mention in the category of "Madman"? It's not in the same class as his pulling out his fillings so no one could read his mind, but...
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 16:021 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Does this at least get him an honorable mention in the category of "Madman"? It's not in the same class as his pulling out his fillings so no one could read his mind, but...
    no its simply an indication of his lack of materialism. Pulling out his filings, must have
    been painful, to say the least, how does one go about pulling out ones fillings, eating
    toffee bars? I think Seriwan (spelling?) summed it up when he stated that one should
    forget everything that has been written about Fischer in the press.
  8. SubscriberD4V
    Hard Spanker
    Verona, Italy
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 16:47
  9. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 18:17
    Whilst it would be nice to believe that everything written about him in the media is false.. and there's a ton of it.. I fear it isn't. I don't see anything from him or for that matter anyone denying he has said the things attributed to him.
  10. on your backrank!
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 20:20
    Excellent - should be an interesting watch!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 21:23
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Whilst it would be nice to believe that everything written about him in the media is false.. and there's a ton of it.. I fear it isn't. I don't see anything from him or for that matter anyone denying he has said the things attributed to him.
    one cannot stop to kick every dog that barks.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 21:381 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 21:42

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 21:45
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    no but the RSPC for putty cats might, sigh a Scotsmans opinion is the kilt of the internet ๐Ÿ˜‰
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '11 22:24

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree