1. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 00:02
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    yes this is quite brilliantly insightful, however, what of his time away from competitive
    chess, had he reached the zenith of the chess mountain had thus could gain no higher
    status than that of world champion, the money therefore became of little importance.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 00:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 00:252 edits
    I dont think his paranoia was essentially unwarranted all the time, he felt betrayed
    many times, not least in his infamous match with Revshevsky and Frank Bradys
    portrayal of him in his first book and by the American government. The Russians also
    conspired against him, both lawfully and unlawfully.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 00:451 edit

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 00:59
    well i dunno, either you were in or you were out. Fischer had to fight for his belongings
    which were eventually auctioned off. Changes were made to the text of his book
    (erroneous ones at that without his permission). He had affection for a young lady half
    his age which was not reciprocated which floored him, His church embezzled him out of
    thousands, there was law suits over copyrights etc etc Such events cannot be
    conducive to building trust.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 01:49

7. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    30 Nov '11 21:05
    After having watched the opening credits I think I can safely say that only a madman would wear a shirt with a collar like that.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 18:101 edit
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    After having watched the opening credits I think I can safely say that only a madman would wear a shirt with a collar like that.
    Bobby was a disco King, like me! 😛

Anyhow the presentation was quite well done, my only grievance was with Asa
    Hoffman who stated that Fischer walked out of tournaments on trivialities, which is
    simply not true.
  9. Joined
    23 Nov '10
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 20:12
    Originally posted by TimmyBx
    Nice! Hadn't heard about that! Hope it is available in the US at some point!
    You can get this program through the BBC iPlayer via the BBC website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017srys/Storyville_20112012_Bobby_Fischer_Genius_and_Madman/)

Not sure about country filters etc, but there is always a way around that stuff.

Out of interest, it was a brilliant program - no sensationalistic journalism, just the views and opinions of those who knew Fischer.
  10. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 09:06
    It is indeed only available in the UK. So, bad luck for me...
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '10
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 09:10
    A great insight into the rise and fall of a troubled genius. A must watch.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 22:55

13. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 02:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Bobby was a disco King, like me! 😛

Anyhow the presentation was quite well done, my only grievance was with Asa
    Hoffman who stated that Fischer walked out of tournaments on trivialities, which is
    simply not true.
    Hi - can you add anything to this. I was under this impression that he did mess organisers about and pulled out of tournaments. I may be wrong.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 03:184 edits
    Originally posted by greenerpawn
    Hi - can you add anything to this. I was under this impression that he did mess organisers about and pulled out of tournaments. I may be wrong.
    on The Dick Cavett Show in the summer of 1971, Fischer states that he looked up his
    tournament record and to his knowledge he only dropped out of two tournaments,
    having played sixty.

The one that i know of was his match with Revshevsky in which the organisers
    changed the contractual details because one of their wives wanted to visit the opera
    trying to make Fischer play on another day upon which he held a Sabbath. Fischer
    rightfully refused and walked out forfeiting the match. It is in my opinion, one of the
    reasons why he became anti-jewish, for the organisers, or rather those who were
    putting up the money were Jewish and tried to force Fischer to play against not only
    the contractual remit, but against his religious convictions.
  15. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 09:412 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    on The Dick Cavett Show in the summer of 1971, Fischer states that he looked up his
    tournament record and to his knowledge he only dropped out of two tournaments,
    having played sixty.

The one that i know of was his match with Revshevsky in which the organisers
    changed the contractual details because one of their wives wanted to visit the o ...[text shortened]... Fischer to play against not only
    the contractual remit, but against his religious convictions.
    He did the same thing at Sousse earlier on in 1967. He stated that he was given an unfair disadvantage (he may have had a point) that he would be missing rest days due to his recognition of the sabbath.

As for yanking the chains of organizers. He is absolutely guilty. Yet again - he may have had a point.

ADD: Also Robbie...he was distinguishably anti-semetic, not just anti-judaism. They are not completely equal terms. Though most often they can be interchanged - in this case they should not be.

Q

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree