1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 12:17
    Harry Benson, the Life photographer, who got up and close to Bobby Fischer during the 1972 World Championship match had this to say of him in a recent BBC documentary -

"Everyone knew he was a piece of s**t, he was terrible!"
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 12:31
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Harry Benson, the Life photographer, who got up and close to Bobby Fischer during the 1972 World Championship match had this to say of him in a recent BBC documentary -

"Everyone knew he was a piece of s**t, he was terrible!"
    I saw that documentary, it was about life magazine, however if you watched the
    Fischer documentary, he had very different things to say about Fischer, emphasising his
    love of animals, of the countryside making Harry Benson a two faced hypocrite and a
    shameful figure for all Glaswegians as a consequence!
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 12:35
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    He did the same thing at Sousse earlier on in 1967. He stated that he was given an unfair disadvantage (he may have had a point) that he would be missing rest days due to his recognition of the sabbath.

As for yanking the chains of organizers. He is absolutely guilty. Yet again - he may have had a point.

ADD: Also Robbie...he was distinguishably an ...[text shortened]... equal terms. Though most often they can be interchanged - in this case they should not be.

Q
    no i do not accept that he was anti-Semitic, for as far as i am aware he stated nothing
    about the Arabs and unless of course Jews now have a monopoly on Semitism he
    remains anti-jewish, not anti-Semitical. Had a point???, they changed the terms of the
    contractual agreement! Fischer never pulled anything, he was within his rights to ask
    that the organisers honour their agreement!
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 12:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I saw that documentary, it was about life magazine, however if you watched the
    Fischer documentary, he had very different things to say about Fischer, emphasising his
    love of animals, of the countryside making Harry Benson a two faced hypocrite and a
    shameful figure for all Glaswegians as a consequence!
    You can love the countryside and animals and still be a 'piece of ****'. That doesn't make him a hypocrite.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 12:46
    You can love the countryside and animals and still be a 'piece of ****'. That doesn't make him a hypocrite.
    It makes Harry Benson a hypocrite for the vision of Fischer which he portrayed in the
    Fischer documentary is completely different from the one he portrays in the Life
    magazine, heck, he even emphasises how Fischer was one of his most interesting
    subjects and what a great guy he was! He should be smacked around the face with a
    mediaeval gauntlet for his two faced approach!
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 12:48
    no i do not accept that he was anti-Semitic, for as far as i am aware he stated nothing
    about the Arabs and unless of course Jews now have a monopoly on Semitism he
    remains anti-jewish, not anti-Semitical. Had a point???, they changed the terms of the
    contractual agreement! Fischer never pulled anything, he was within his rights to ask
    that the organisers honour their agreement!
    So what criteria would someone have to fill to be rightfully labelled an anti-semite in 'Rob World'?
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 12:55
    It makes Harry Benson a hypocrite for the vision of Fischer which he portrayed in the
    Fischer documentary is completely different from the one he portrays in the Life
    magazine, heck, he even emphasises how Fischer was one of his most interesting
    subjects and what a great guy he was! He should be smacked around the face with a
    mediaeval gauntlet for his two faced approach!
    I've not seen the other documentary so i can't comment on that. But i can't see how what you've stated makes Benson a hypocrite.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 12:56
    So what criteria would someone have to fill to be rightfully labelled an anti-semite in 'Rob World'?
    well it should be rather easy. You have for some reason known only to you a
    disposition which fosters a loathing of the Semitic people, that being BOTH the
    Jews and the Arabs, unless of course you are willing to argue that Jews have a
    monopoly on Semitism. Are you my friend, are you really?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 12:59
    I've not seen the other documentary so i can't comment on that. But i can't see how what you've stated makes Benson a hypocrite.
    watch the Fischer documentary, Harry Benson is a butt kisser extraordinaire in it,
    shamefully so. This also comes across in the book, Bobby Fischer goes to war, Fischer
    tolerated Benson because he was a go-for, a simple yes man!
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 13:121 edit
    well it should be rather easy. You have for some reason known only to you a
    disposition which fosters a loathing of the Semitic people, that being BOTH the
    Jews and the Arabs, unless of course you are willing to argue that Jews have a
    monopoly on Semitism. Are you my friend, are you really?
    I see what you're saying, but you know as well as i do that anti-semitism today has evolved to strictly mean Jewish people. As the oracle (wikipedia says) -

While the term's etymology might suggest that antisemitism is directed against all Semitic peoples, the term was coined in the late 19th century in Germany as a more scientific-sounding term for Judenhass ("Jew-hatred" ), and that has been its normal use since then.

He was an anti-semite by the standard usage of the word for the last 150 years.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 13:363 edits
    I see what you're saying, but you know as well as i do that anti-semitism today has evolved to strictly mean Jewish people. As the oracle (wikipedia says) -

While the term's etymology might suggest that antisemitism is directed against all Semitic peoples, the term was coined in the late 19th century in Germany as a more scientific-sounding ter .

He was an anti-semite by the standard usage of the word for the last 150 years.
    I see what you're saying, but you know as well as i do that anti-semitism today has
    evolved to strictly mean Jewish people

why should it be the case when you and I both know that its inaccurate, by definition?
    shall we bow to popular opinion, never may that be the case, we have our own minds
    and heck we may even be prepared to use them. Fischer was anti Jewish, not an
    anti Semite regardless of its perceived definition in the canon of popular culture! Tell it
    my friend and free your mind! yes sir, freedom at last!
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 13:471 edit
    I see what you're saying, but you know as well as i do that anti-semitism today has
    evolved to strictly mean Jewish people

why should it be the case when you and I both know that its inaccurate, by definition?
    shall we bow to popular opinion, never may that be the case, we have our own minds
    and heck we may even be prepared to use them. Fi ...[text shortened]... the canon of popular culture! Tell it
    my friend and free your mind! yes sir, freedom at last!
    There are lots words in the English where their meaning has changed over time. What are you going to do, start trolling through the dictionary and embark on a nationwide mission to get them changed back to what they were? He was an anti-semite by the standard usage of the word here and now today. Accept it and move on.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 14:082 edits
    There are lots words in the English where their meaning has changed over time. What are you going to do, start trolling through the dictionary and embark on a nationwide mission to get them changed back to what they were? He was an anti-semite by the standard usage of the word here and now today. Accept it and move on.
    Yes here is an instance where a term has been hijacked and held to ransom by its
    entry into popular culture. We cannot undo it, but must at an individual level be bound
    by our own understanding and true to ourselves, this is all we can hope to achieve,
    therefore i cannot accept it and will continue to use the incontrovertible and self
    evident and sound definition that the ethnicity of the Semites encompasses
    both Arabs and Jews.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 14:24
    Yes here is an instance where a term has been hijacked and held to ransom by its
    entry into popular culture. We cannot undo it, but must at an individual level be bound
    by our own understanding and true to ourselves, this is all we can hope to achieve,
    therefore i cannot accept it and will continue to use the incontrovertible and self
    evident and sound definition that the ethnicity of the Semites encompasses
    both Arabs and Jews.
    Here's eight more words for you that have had their meaning changed. In the interest of intellectual integrity and your continued pursuit not to bow to popular culture i expect you to use these words in their original meaning from now. Otherwise you'll be a labelled a hypocrite like Mr Benson.

Artificial - 'full of artistic or technical skill'.

Nice - 'not to know'. Originally a 'nice person' was someone who was ignorant.

Awful - 'full of awe' i.e. something wonderful, delightful, amazing.

Brave - 'a coward'.

Manufacture - From the Latin meaning ‘to make by hand’.

Counterfeit - This once meant a perfect copy.

Prove - To test ie. 'Proving ground'

Tell - Its original meaning was ‘to count’. Which is how we came by the term ‘bank teller’.

🙂🙂
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 14:353 edits
    Here's eight more words for you that have had their meaning changed. In the interest of intellectual integrity and your continued pursuit not to bow to popular culture i expect you to use these words in their original meaning from now. Otherwise you'll be a labelled a hypocrite like Mr Benson.

Artificial - 'full of artistic or technical skill'.

Ni al meaning was ‘to count’. Which is how we came by the term ‘bank teller’.

🙂🙂
    not so fast there my friend, the definition of anti Semite does not depend upon its
    etymology, but the significance of its application to a particular ethnicity! therefore
    these other evidences that you cite cannot be produced as evidence in favour of the
    accusation of hypocrisy which hangs over my head like a piano dangling upon a
    string!

therefore your honour, i motion that these other terms based purely on their
    respective historical etymology be ruled as inadmissible in court!

objection sustained!

your witness Mr. PK 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree