Can i use books to aid play ?

Can i use books to aid play ?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
10 May 08

Originally posted by tamuzi
Wormwood: 1) where did I insult anyone?

...because they were lower ranked and therefore inferior to you.
I never said (or even thought) anything like that. you're making things up, because pretending I said what you claim suits your hurt pride.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
10 May 08

...Patience being one of the biggest skills I need to learn.
indeed.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
10 May 08
2 edits

Originally posted by eldragonfly
Irrelevant. You are wise to bow out Korch. You are just attempting to smear the lines between cc and OTB to justify using databases and books to help your play, when there is no real skill involved.
Your claim that using of books and databases dont need any skills for achieving good results are obviously absurd for any more or less qualified and experienced CC player

P.S. And I dont see the point to argue with persons who makes categoric claims about things they obviously dont understand.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
10 May 08

Dragonfire: Perhaps this explains why they are weaker. I hope they don't carry this analogy into their every action, perhaps saying a lawyer cannot consult his law books, a judge cannot consult tombs of previous decisions in chambers before sentencing, an Accountant must not consult tax tables and a Doctor must certainly not look up the symptons of his patien ...[text shortened]... t of learning to do, and I know this. Patience being one of the biggest skills I need to learn.
Definition of game

"a contest with rules to determine a winner"

Here on RHP the rules permit the use of books and databases. Q.E.D.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
10 May 08

Originally posted by Korch
Your claim that using of books and databases dont need any skills for achieving good results are obviously absurd for any more or less qualified and experienced CC player

P.S. And I dont see the point to argue with persons who makes categoric claims about things they obviously dont understand.
Korch, i hate to tell you, but your comments don't make any sense. i'm pretty sure most of here know that a player rated 2100+ is much better than someone rated 500 or more points below.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
10 May 08

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
[b]Definition of game

"a contest with rules to determine a winner"

Here on RHP the rules permit the use of books and databases. Q.E.D.[/b]
That's a narrow definition, and is misleading. For most of us here, playing chess includes having a certain amount of skill, making mistakes and learning from them is part of the game.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
10 May 08

But this still leads to my second point - i am still waiting for reliable proof that all online turn based chess sites were created with the idea of using databases and chess books in mind, and openly encourage and promote this idea.
No one here has addressed this point, obviously all this talk about databases and chess books and impoving skills is bogus and unqualified.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
10 May 08

No one here has addressed this point, obviously all this talk about databases and chess books and impoving skills is bogus and unqualified.
Try reading up on the rules.

http://www.iccf.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=52

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
10 May 08
3 edits

Can you name at least one CC chess site where using of books and databases is forbidden? Can you name at least one CC federation which have forbidden using of books and databases?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
10 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Korch
Can you name at least one CC chess site where using of books and databases is forbidden? Can you name at least one CC federation which have forbidden using of books and databases?
www.eldragonflychess.com

Moves
10 May 08
1 edit

Irrelevant. You can't back up your idiotic viewpoint because even a child can figure out that relying upon databases and books is not the real thing.
Iv offered you the chance to talk to a CC master (its still open), I notice how you have twice refused (well not so much as refused more carefully ignored because it would be as a flamethrower is to a dried leaf to your crazy ideas). I even went out of my way and explained to him your views and then got his consent that he was willing to discuss them with you. You dont know whats real, thats as simple as it is.

t

Moves
10 May 08

Originally posted by wormwood
I never said (or even thought) anything like that. you're making things up, because pretending I said what you claim suits your hurt pride.
What the hell? I've already quoted you to say that, and I can again

"I won't bother to read the previous pages, as it'll be the same exact 'discussion' it always is. but I am going to say what I've said in every other thread like this before:

all you low rated people who think books and especially dbs are 'cheating', start using them. it won't give any rating points, as openings are not the reason you lose your games"

You make your argument "valid" by denigrating the ethos of everyone arguing against them by stating that they are "low rated people" and therefore what they say is pointless. You set a "High rated vs low rated standard and imply that lowraters don't have anything to say, hence why you didn't "bother to read the other pages". Get off your high horse and come play with us in the mud, its better here.

How can you say my pride is hurt, I admit I'm not good, I admit I work to get better. I just want to play people not books my whole game not just after move 12, or when I force them out of the book they're copying.

Again, I urge eldragonfly to get off my side...

Dragonfire, yes if you read what I say I accept and encourage book use. But I'm questioning on limits along the same lines as Verenka. I'm not fighting anyone but Wormwood, and thats just because he is being a prick. Stop trying to act like you have to prove me 'wrong' on points we agree on and lets discuss the one point I'm trying to bring a question to.

I would swear half this thread is "flame those who think differently" and the other half is "attack lower ranked players".

Good lord, chess is an old and cemented game, but even it has had modifications, are we not allowed to talk?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
10 May 08
1 edit

What the hell? I've already quoted you to say that, and I can again

"I won't bother to read the previous pages, as it'll be the same exact 'discussion' it always is. but I am going to say what I've said in every other thread like this before:

all you low rated people who think books and especially dbs are 'cheating', start using them. it won't give any e, but even it has had modifications, are we not allowed to talk?
I think part of the problem is someone claiming FACT, data and book is cheating when it is NOT cheating by the rules of this site, and most every if not all CC organizations.

As for picking on low rated players, there really isn't a need for that. I actually respect the player that can play low rated chess, come back for more and enjoy it... and not be tempted into the real cheating of using an engine to decide the moves.

It's a very frustrating subject when someone gets their mind set that data and book are cheating, I'm certainly not trying to flame anyone... but I got to wonder if someone is just taking the piss to amp up RHP users by claiming Data IS cheating.

P-

S

Moves
10 May 08

Originally posted by Phlabibit
... I'm certainly not trying to flame anyone... but I got to wonder if someone is just taking the piss to amp up RHP users by claiming Data IS cheating.

P-
Shhhh!
Bedlam just put the troll to sleep.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
10 May 08

No one here has addressed this point, obviously all this talk ...
The RHP TOS http://www.redhotpawn.com/myhome/termsofservice.php has been quoted several times in this thread. It clearly states that books, databases, and other pre-existing research materials are permitted. Hence, the burden of proof falls on you to assert that it is not part of the intent of RHP to facilitate this style of chess play. You have offered no argument showing this part of the TOS to be inapplicable. As the negative proposition has not been established through argument, the positive wins by default.

The point has been addressed repeatedly and decisively, but you have proven yourself impervious to evidence.

No more food for the troll.