1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 May '08 13:13
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    Listen to me, Montag. Once to each fireman, at least once in his career, he just itches to know what these books are all about. He just aches to know. Isn't that so?
    recced! 😵
  2. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 May '08 13:32
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Bravo. Here SwissGambit highlights a key point of ethics succinctly and with impeccable logic. That his argument goes against nothing on the other side, for no one has advanced an ethical argument against database use, is irrelevant. It still helps to understand why databases should be permitted, as they indeed are.
    And it should be remembered that interesting advances in previously dead-end lines published in openings books often refer to recent correspondance or email games.
    So to those interested in specific opening theory & indeed chess in general, the benefit of CC & book seems to be cyclical.
  3. Joined
    27 Apr '08
    Moves
    13 May '08 16:24
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Everything I said to him applies equally to you or indeed any other player who has never bothered to read a book and argues against their use.

Of course your rating hasn't stabilised yet so I don't know if its 1400 or 1800 or more but I guarantee that if its the top end of this range or better and you claim not to have used books that you are lying. O ...[text shortened]... books and if you were to claim you did not use books or DBs here I would be highly supicious.
    You believe I have never bothered to read a book... and that I argue against them... why? And just because I make mistakes and lack 30 years of experience does not mean that I am a pathetic player and therefore you can tar me with a rubbish player brush. Seriously, I have no idea why you decide to accuse me of not reading anything, and also many people have achieved 1800 without reading a book at all. Lighten up.
  4. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    13 May '08 18:02
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Even if the argument is, "Who cares if everyone allows book/DB use in CC chess - it's still unethical", that is easily dismissed. CC games can go on for years. Do we really expect CC players to ignore all the opening improvements found in their favorite opening lines? After all, they'd better avoid studying them, because they've got games going on with t ...[text shortened]... way to do it is to allow all players to look at all books and DBs at any point in the game.
    Wrong. It is a form of cheating to use chess books and databases in real time to help one decide their next move. In an OTB game this would be considered cheating, and rightfully so, your example is forced and artificial.
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    13 May '08 18:48
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    Wrong. It is a form of cheating to use chess books and databases in real time to help one decide their next move. In an OTB game this would be considered cheating, and rightfully so, your example is forced and artificial.
    How can it be cheating if it is allowed i.t.o. the rules? Don't you bother to read anything?

If it was cheating everyone here who has confessed to using books and DBs would be banned from the site, myself, Korch, wormwood, Wulgar, etc. but they have not been because they are not cheating.

Its only cheating to play 1. g4!! or 1.b4!! because these are not covered very well in books and you soon get out of any DB.
  6. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 May '08 19:02
    How can it be cheating if it is allowed i.t.o. the rules? Don't you bother to read anything?

If it was cheating everyone here who has confessed to using books and DBs would be banned from the site, myself, Korch, wormwood, Wulgar, etc. but they have not been because they are not cheating.

Its only cheating to play 1. g4!! or 1.b4!! because these are not covered very well in books and you soon get out of any DB.
    DF you do realise "he" isn't really listening to any of this.
    Actually I reckon he couldn't give a toss with regards to the database issue.
    He's just a troll as I suspected quite early on, who's found a way of winding much better chess players up.
    Every time you quote him or reply directly to his posts in any way he probably starts humping his fist, rather than trying to improve his chess.

This is my last post in this rather pointless thread.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 May '08 19:21
    Don't you bother to read anything?
    He or she has stated that the mind is not employed while reading chess books. Presumably this cognitive disengagement is true also while reading chess forums.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 May '08 19:21
    Wulgar,
    *sigh*
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    13 May '08 22:02
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    *sigh*
    Apologies!!!
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 May '08 23:40
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    😴
  11. Warszawa
    Moves
    16 May '08 09:22
    Afraid of books&databases? Play chess960....

PS Better players have *memorized* lines in main variations they play, databases&books help them exploit and learn alternatives.
  12. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 May '08 09:46
    What is the spirit of that rule?

So that you don't use a program that has "broken chess".

or

So that you play your own chess games rather than something playing chess games for you?
  13. Boulder, CO
    Moves
    19 May '08 14:23
    What books would anyone suggest to a novice, looking to improve?
    thx
  14. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 May '08 15:01
    Originally posted by augustus
    What books would anyone suggest to a novice, looking to improve?
    thx
    Any of these will be very useful:
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8397/1000692rb1.jpg

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree