1. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 16:42
    Originally posted by philidor position
    OK, he just didn't lose with the white pieces IN LINARES for 7 years! (that is of course quite an achievement but it's hardly comparable with 7 years of non-defeat with white in all classical games).

He has 18 losses in the period 1998-2003 with white in my database, and 4 of them are wins by kramnik.

He may be the best player of all time but no one gets to play such aggressive chess and not lose for 7 years with white🙂.
    Kramnik has Kasparov's number all right.But then,for some time,he had the ideal teacher to acomplish this.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 16:45
    Originally posted by Ajuin
    Kramnik has Kasparov's number all right.But then,for some time,he had the ideal teacher to acomplish this.
    Who was that?
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 16:50
    Who was that?
    I believe it was Botvinnik though I don't see how that relates to beating Kasparov. If he was mentored by Kasparov at some point, the statement would make sense.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 16:52
    Originally posted by zebano
    I believe it was Botvinnik though I don't see how that relates to beating Kasparov. If he was mentored by Kasparov at some point, the statement would make sense.
    Besides, Botvinnik was Kasparov's teacher too.

Yes, but he wasn't mentored by Kasparov like Carlsen is now, he just seconded him in the Anand match, and was supported by him to join the chess olympiads when he was very young.
  5. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 17:11
    OK, he just didn't lose with the white pieces IN LINARES for 7 years! (that is of course quite an achievement but it's hardly comparable with 7 years of non-defeat with white in all classical games).

He has 18 losses in the period 1998-2003 with white in my database, and 4 of them are wins by kramnik.

He may be the best player of all time but no one gets to play such aggressive chess and not lose for 7 years with white🙂.
    hehe oups, my bad! English isn't my mother tongue, so sometimes I understand something else.
  6. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 17:14
    Besides, Botvinnik was Kasparov's teacher too.

Yes, but he wasn't mentored by Kasparov like Carlsen is now, he just seconded him in the Anand match, and was supported by him to join the chess olympiads when he was very young.
    Kramnik was Kasparov's protégé for years.
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 17:45

didn't tal have some amazing winning streak (or just non-losing?) of 120 or 160 games straight at some point?
  8. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 17:49
    Ohh now I understand what I did, I was thinking of Capablanca's 8 year undefeated with both colors streak.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 17:562 edits
    Originally posted by wormwood
    didn't tal have some amazing winning streak (or just non-losing?) of 120 or 160 games straight at some point?
    From Wiki:
    From July 1972 to April 1973, Tal played a record 86 consecutive games without a loss (47 wins and 39 draws). Between October 23, 1973 and October 16, 1974, he played 95 consecutive games without a loss (46 wins and 49 draws), shattering his previous record. These are the two longest unbeaten streaks in modern chess history.

those are 1~2 year intervals, but still it's amazing. I didn't know that about Tal, really unbelievable if he stayed loyal to his style. I suppose it should be near impossible to get more than 50% draws with original Tal style though. But I'm just speculating of course.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 18:04
    From Wiki:
    From July 1972 to April 1973, Tal played a record 86 consecutive games without a loss (47 wins and 39 draws). Between October 23, 1973 and October 16, 1974, he played 95 consecutive games without a loss (46 wins and 49 draws), shattering his previous record. These are the two longest unbeaten streaks in modern chess history.
    ...[text shortened]... 's amazing. I didn't know that about Tal, really unbelievable if he stayed loyal to his style.
    and to think that those streaks were 10-15 years AFTER having been the world champion.
  11. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 21:44
    Such records are easy, I haven't lost a single game in Linares during the last 20 years either
  12. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 21:46
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Such records are easy, I haven't lost a single game in Linares during the last 20 years either
    Aren't you also the one who has never lost a single game in a WC match?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree