1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '15 12:44
    cener is now 2526. I wonder what his or her rating is OTB, that is, the human rating, not the CPU.
  2. SubscriberAspasia
    Old Frog
    Elysium
    Moves
    07 Jul '15 18:24
    Boykott? 2000+ players can resign against Ulf and Cen with the 1st move. So they cannot climb higher and the others don´t fall down with their rating... :-))
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '15 18:29
    Originally posted by Aspasia
    Boykott? 2000+ players can resign against Ulf and Cen with the 1st move. So they cannot climb higher and the others don´t fall down with their rating... :-))
    Does a 2500 player even get one point against say, a 1500 dude?
  4. SubscriberAspasia
    Old Frog
    Elysium
    Moves
    07 Jul '15 20:13
    No, he doesn´t. In a game with low rated players the 2500+ players only can lose... :-))
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 10:50
    Originally posted by Aspasia
    No, he doesn´t. In a game with low rated players the 2500+ players only can lose... :-))
    well, not quite, 3 outcomes, 2 of which lose, but winning, at least you don't lose points, you stay where you are.
  6. Joined
    15 Jul '15
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 02:201 edit
    test
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 23:511 edit
    Why because of peoples rating so high we have to assume that they cheat?! That is just ridiculous! And to find out who's computer would be better is obviously looking at their versus each other.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    18 Jul '15 00:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    cener is now 2526. I wonder what his or her rating is OTB, that is, the human rating, not the CPU.
  9. Standard memberpdunne
    Badmaster
    freeshell.de/~dunne
    Moves
    18 Jul '15 07:27
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Why because of peoples rating so high we have to assume that they cheat?! That is just ridiculous! And to find out who's computer would be better is obviously looking at their versus each other.
    The presumption is based on several things. The most serious approach is based on the fact that the moves of a REAL 2500 player will have a certain % match with those chosen by a strong chess engine, but that % will be far short of 100%, because people simply don't play like computers. So if you analyse a series of, say, Kasparov's games with a strong engine, and the match-up is 80%, and then you analyse a series of "RHP GM" games and the match-up is 95%, then that should ring alarm bells. At least that's how I understand the procedure.

A simpler approach is to assume that any strong human player will take time to find strong moves. So, if a certain "RHP GM" is making thousands of strong moves a month, the assumption is that they are using an engine. They MIGHT, I suppose, just have a very extensive database, and be following "the best" lines, but that begs the question -- how do they know which moves to select?

To be on the safe side, I simply assume that any player here in the high 2xxx range is using an engine, unless they give me reason to believe that they are not.
  10. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    18 Jul '15 13:27
    Originally posted by pdunne
    The presumption is based on several things. The most serious approach is based on the fact that the moves of a REAL 2500 player will have a certain % match with those chosen by a strong chess engine, but that % will be far short of 100%, because people simply don't play like computers. So if you analyse a series of, say, Kasparov's games with a strong engin ...[text shortened]... the high 2xxx range is using an engine, unless they give me reason to believe that they are not.
    I wonder what pleasure an engine user gets from a win. I suppose at the end of the day, its the same as drug cheats in athletics.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    18 Jul '15 13:42
    Originally posted by pdunne
    The presumption is based on several things. The most serious approach is based on the fact that the moves of a REAL 2500 player will have a certain % match with those chosen by a strong chess engine, but that % will be far short of 100%, because people simply don't play like computers. So if you analyse a series of, say, Kasparov's games with a strong engin ...[text shortened]... the high 2xxx range is using an engine, unless they give me reason to believe that they are not.
    Most of those players do the same moves over and over again and never do anything else so maybe they look at it once and just do it over and over again?
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 05:56
    Does anyone have an idea of how much computer engines match each other?

There is obviously some variance among chess engines (wins and losses in computer matches are the obvious indicators), but it would be interesting to know how often and by how much in evaluations.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 13:171 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Does anyone have an idea of how much computer engines match each other?

There is obviously some variance among chess engines (wins and losses in computer matches are the obvious indicators), but it would be interesting to know how often and by how much in evaluations.
    Good question, Paul. Which leads me to despair of implementing an effective and thorough policy of policing engine use at RHP.

A dedicated and clever engine user would have several engines running, and then only for a few moves in each game. This might explain the phenomenon to which King Tiger referred when he said he could understand some of the moves in a given game but not others.

To catch such an engine user would require a) a player of at least King Tiger's caliber to judge what a strong human player would likely consider as a candidate move; and b) someone running multiple engines on multiple computers, crunching through hundreds of games to see what the match % is. A massively time-consuming project, which, I think, precludes trying to check large numbers of suspected engine users.
  14. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 15:05
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Cen is now 2507. Is that the highest rating of all time for RHP? Engine or human?
    engine
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 20:02
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Good question, Paul. Which leads me to despair of implementing an effective and thorough policy of policing engine use at RHP.

A dedicated and clever engine user would have several engines running, and then only for a few moves in each game. This might explain the phenomenon to which King Tiger referred when he said he could understand some of the moves i ...[text shortened]... ming project, which, I think, precludes trying to check large numbers of suspected engine users.
    To obfuscate even further, not even GMs always agree on what would be a human candidate move.

It makes me laugh to think that if the famous Karpov-Miles game where Miles played 1 ... a6 were played today, there would be a clamor from the crowd to check Miles's shoes!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree