1. Joined
    15 Feb '11
    Moves
    18 May '12 13:33
    This is my first post in this forum as I usually only just about have time to play my games and not always as much a I'd like. I feel the need to share because I have been subjected to what I can only describe as unsporting behaviour at best and if I'm feeling a lack of generosity, outright cheating with a side order of childish abuse.
    I won't name names publicly but suffice to say that this player has several thousand more games under his belt than my sub-500. I'm fully aware of the timeout function on this board and have made good use of the vacation setting when I've known in advance I was going to be away. Earlier this year a good friend of my took his own life, he lived in Bangkok though was originally from London, as am I. I had to leave suddenly and neglected a few things for nearly a week, RHP.com being one.
    Now I will take a skull, as I say on my profile I'll do that only after I've used the email function and even then I'll hesitate if I'm losing the game. What's the point in winning games that you didn't, you know, win? The opponent in question was about to lose, being down to 3 pawns or so versus my queen +++. I don't think that's right and I wouldn't do it, I don't care how fast you like to play and I generally do. So when this guy popped up this week for another game, I accepted but sent them a short message asking if they would mind not taking the skull in the unlikely case that I'll drift past my timeout. For my trouble I was rudely told that I must be of low intelligence etc etc!
    When you consider that this person then instantly put me on their ignore list so they could continue to abuse me without being able to read my replies then I started to understand what kind of personality I was dealing with. I guess it was this that made me feel the need to share on here but I do wonder if I should have expected this response? Was I so wrong to ask them to refrain from what I see as cheating?
    Anyway, I love playing on here and have met some quality individuals. This is the first saddo I've encountered and I hope it's the last for some time.
    Cheers,
    Speeball
  2. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    18 May '12 13:45
    "but I do wonder if I should have expected this response"

This is the internet so YES,you should've expected such a thing could happen.
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 May '12 16:03
    Originally posted by Speeball
    This is my first post in this forum as I usually only just about have time to play my games and not always as much a I'd like. I feel the need to share because I have been subjected to what I can only describe as unsporting behaviour at best and if I'm feeling a lack of generosity, outright cheating with a side order of childish abuse.
    I won't name names p ...[text shortened]... do I've encountered and I hope it's the last for some time.
    Cheers,
    Speeball
    Dear Speeball,

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

The only point I would take on your post is that, as far as I can tell, he did not cheat.

He is childish, rude, pathetic, unsporting etc. But he did not cheat. Unless you think he is trying to psyche you out by acting like a a**hole.

99% of players here are fine. You just have one person to take of your list.

When we are lying on our deathbeds, about to meet our maker, will we lie back and think "Wow, remember that day I got a few cheap rating points on RHP. That was a good day."

Nope.

But we might lie back thinking "God, you know at times I was complete t@at. Wish I hadn't been."

Just let it go.
  4. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    18 May '12 16:201 edit
    I won't name names p do I've encountered and I hope it's the last for some time.
    Cheers,
    Speeball
    Have too say that you are the one breaking "Chess Etiquette" by complaining about losing on time.

We all sometimes have real life issues that prevent us from fulfilling our written game contract. No need to blame the other person.

Maybe a wee message stating your personal problems would of helped. Still the others prerogative though to change the rules.

edit1: I was being insensitive, sorry.
  5. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    18 May '12 17:05
    Can't you put him on your ignore list?
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    18 May '12 22:28
    I won't name names p ...[text shortened]... do I've encountered and I hope it's the last for some time.
    Cheers,
    Speeball
    Claiming a time out win is cheating?
    I'm sorry but when you run out of time, people click skulls and people lose games. Time is part of the game, learn to manage it or lose.
    Simple as that.
  7. Berks.
    Moves
    18 May '12 22:462 edits
    The opponent in question was about to lose, being down to 3 pawns or so versus my queen +++. I don't think that's right and I wouldn't do it, I don't care how fast you like to play and I generally do.
    The comments you've recieved certainly aren't good (and if really abusive, try sending feedback).

However:

Game 9208059
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    19 May '12 00:08
    Speeball, with all due respect, you would be foolish to trust an opponent to not take a timeout win out of sympathy for your real life problems. People on the internet are cold blooded, lol.

Rather than plead with your opponent not to skull you, you should take advantage of the "conditional move" function that this site has to offer. The feature allows you to record responses to potential moves that your opponent might make. Once your opponent makes a move that you flagged, the website will make your prior recorded move for you. Then your timebank, in turn, will be reset, and your worries about being timed out will be mitigated.
  9. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    19 May '12 01:28
    Originally posted by Peakite
    The comments you've recieved certainly aren't good (and if really abusive, try sending feedback).

However:

Game 9208059
    Holy Crap!

I didn't know we had A-list celebrities playing here!
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    19 May '12 02:411 edit
    Originally posted by SmittyTime
    Holy Crap!

He was getting his ass kicked by a girl. Way to go Hannah!! Chess girls rock!!
  11. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    19 May '12 04:13
    don't break his heart, his achy breaky heart. I just don't think he'd understand.
  12. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    19 May '12 06:36
    Holy Crap!

B-list celeb cause I had never heard of hannah montana (miley cyrus)

After google (to find out hannah is cyrus the singer/actress) and youtube (to hear her sing) I can report I was a happier man ten minutes ago.

Yes,I live in a cave.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 May '12 08:04
    Cheers,
    Speeball
    You should try blitz on other sites.
    There you can get real-time abuse. 🙂

yes there are nasty people on the net ....
    but reallly; does losing a game of chess amount to much when you've just lost a friend?🙄
  14. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    19 May '12 11:25
    Holy Crap!

There's nothing more annoying than going on a tour of Europe as your alter ego entertaining the fans and doing talk shows only to find when you get home someone has skulled you in a game you were winning. It's enough to turn you to salvia divinorum.
  15. Joined
    15 Feb '11
    Moves
    19 May '12 13:39
    Originally posted by Peakite

However:

Game 9208059
    I never said I didn't take skulls, this one I took after I skipped 3 previous skulls in the same game and it was really dragging.

As for the abuse, believe me, I have a very thick skin and would have relished the opportunity to put my case to them but this player put me on their ignore list so they couldn't read my replies, now that is Hannah Montana fan behaviour imo.

Also, I certainly expect to fall foul of the rules if I break them. My beef is that when this player invited me to play again and I asked them not to repeat the trick should the chance arise that they acted like a spoilt tw@..........they must have had the red army in town.......

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree