1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 May '12 14:12
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Why they felt the need to do that I don't know.
    Nothing they did was against the rules of chess.

In fact, I think it is quite common to analyse and discuss games after they have finished.

So they simply did what is not only legal in chess terms, but normal and expected.

They may even have felt they were helping the girl.

But they misjudged the situation badly, as does anyone who thinks that playing within the rules, of itself, is OK.
  2. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    25 May '12 14:30
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    How do you guys feel about asking your opponent to resign?
    I think it would be pointless in the middle of a game. In the context of post-game analysis it might be ok.
  3. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    25 May '12 14:51
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Nothing they did was against the rules of chess.

In fact, I think it is quite common to analyse and discuss games after they have finished.

So they simply did what is not only legal in chess terms, but normal and expected.

They may even have felt they were helping the girl.

But they misjudged the situation badly, as does anyone who thinks that playing within the rules, of itself, is OK.
    I fear there may have been more sinister forces at work here such as big egos.
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 May '12 18:46
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    I don't need to go back and check it I simply quote it. GP said there were people who thought it was bad manners. You didn't. This is the first time you've mentioned it so it's poor etiquette :-) to use it as the basis for your argument.

I have no issue with someone who drags out a game for any reason or clicks skulls. You won't find a thread where I c ...[text shortened]... and want his babies."

OK... you never said that one... I just made it up.[/b]
    (GP said there were people who thought it was bad manners. You didn't. This is the first time you've mentioned it so it's poor etiquette :-) to use it as the basis for your argument.)

I had expreesed an opinion. It only became an argument when you got involved, so I feel it was in order to bring Mr. Greenpawn to the stand in support.

(I have no issue with someone who drags out a game for any reason or clicks skulls. You won't find a thread where I complain about either happening to me.)

You did however say it was bad conduct.

(You have argued that anything within the rules cannot be poor conduct and that players should ( or have a right to ) carry on because they are of equal strength. )

Again I will point out that I never said "should". I stand by my words " have a right to.

(b]"No. How can playing by the rules be poor conduct. You cannot know why your opponent played on."[/b].You can know why your opponent played on if he tells you.)

I would never dream of asking my opponent during a game why he will not resign.

(You don't believe there is any etiquette around when a player should resign. By this reasoning a player cannot play on because he believes it is bad manners to resign because that would be an example of good etiqutte.)

The first sentence I stand by. I have not a clue what you are trying to say in the second sentence.

("Yes; in the case of players of fairly equal strengh I disagree"
    And in the case of players of not fairly equal strength you agree ? What about their right to carry on ?).

I did not state my opinion on not fairly equal strenght. But for your information it would be similar to that for fairly equal strengh.

("I did not say they should carry on. I defended their right to do so if they so wished"
    Were you wearing your underpants on the outside when you said this ?)

I stand by this. Do i have to find another phonebox.

("Greg Chappell is my hero. I love him dearly and want his babies."
    OK... you never said that one... I just made it up.[/b])

I had been hoping to keep this secret. I quess you have blown that on me.
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 May '12 18:50
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    I think it would be pointless in the middle of a game. In the context of post-game analysis it might be ok.
    You might ask your opponont to resign in the post game analysis. Now I know you are winding me up
  6. e4
    Moves
    26 May '12 00:45
    Hi Rank.

Her position was lost, very resignable, but upon getting the draw she was beaming.

She had little time to remember the moment as the crowd quickly showed
    her she had been given a draw. It was not analyse it was just a short demo.
    I think it would have been better just to leave things as they were.
  7. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    26 May '12 07:58
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Rank.

Her position was lost, very resignable, but upon getting the draw she was beaming.

She had little time to remember the moment as the crowd quickly showed
    her she had been given a draw. It was not analyse it was just a short demo.
    I think it would have been better just to leave things as they were.
    So the morons ruined Adorjan's gesture and a little girl's day.Bravo! 😠

I agree with thaughbear,it's to do with egos
    People like that keep me away from the chessclub
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '11
    Moves
    30 May '12 17:58
    Back to the original post: taking the skull wasn't either against the rules OR poor etiquette in my opinion. It was the later abusive behaviour that was extremely poor form. As for being asked not to take skulls and then refusing to comply? If someone asked me not to crush their skull, I would agree but only if they didn't take the mickey. As far as resigning goes, I quite like taking it to checkmate but will tend to resign if I am 99% sure they are going to win. I like to win by checkmate, just for the practice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree