1. Berks.
    Moves
    19 May '12 21:35
    Originally posted by Speeball
    I never said I didn't take skulls, this one I took after I skipped 3 previous skulls in the same game and it was really dragging.
    The reason for posting that game wasn't that you take skulls, but that you didn't think it was right to take a skull in a game they were clearly losing. Your opponent in this one had mate on the move you clicked the skull on.
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 May '12 01:041 edit
    Originally posted by Speeball
    I never said I didn't take skulls, this one I took after I skipped 3 previous skulls in the same game and it was really dragging.

As for the abuse, believe me, I have a very thick skin and would have relished the opportunity to put my case to them but this player put me on their ignore list so they couldn't read my replies, now that is Hannah Montana fan ...[text shortened]... rise that they acted like a spoilt tw@..........they must have had the red army in town.......
    It was really dragging? The game was over on the next move (you were dead lost), except that you claimed the skull! Did you ask the person why the game was dragging?

Whatever righteous credibility you might have had just took the last train outta here.
  3. Leeds, UK
    Moves
    20 May '12 14:27
    Yes, it certainly didn't have long to drag - about as long as it would have taken Hannah to play Rcg7#

Fine take the skull - id do the same (well actually in that position I'd have resigned long ago) but don't moan when other people do the same 🙂
  4. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    20 May '12 15:23
    Originally posted by HarryFlashman
    Yes, it certainly didn't have long to drag - about as long as it would have taken Hannah to play Rcg7#

Fine take the skull - id do the same [b](well actually in that position I'd have resigned long ago)
    but don't moan when other people do the same 🙂[/b]
    That bit on resigning would be my point.If the game dragged it's only because someone did not resign yet.
  5. Leeds, UK
    Moves
    20 May '12 16:00
    Originally posted by Wilfriedva
    That bit on resigning would be my point.If the game dragged it's only because someone did not resign yet.
    Couldn't agree more - the game was lost anyway, quite a while before the forced mate.

Korchnoi once famously said to an Indian GM in the middle of their game "Do you speak English?" The GM said "Yes" and Korchnoi went "Then why don't you resign?!"

Appropriate here 😛
  6. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    20 May '12 16:27
    A bit off the OP as far as time outs, but still right along the lines of etiquette. How many should your opponent offer a draw? I am playing a game where someone has offered at least 5 after politlely telling him no the first time. after the third offer, I will admit that I was a little rude, but ah well.
  7. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    20 May '12 16:55
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    A bit off the OP as far as time outs, but still right along the lines of etiquette. How many should your opponent offer a draw? I am playing a game where someone has offered at least 5 after politlely telling him no the first time. after the third offer, I will admit that I was a little rude, but ah well.
    That would fall under distracting/annoying the opponent which is forbidden.I don't think there's a rule on how many draw offers are permitted.If annoyed you'd call the arbiter.
    Not an option here though.

I've seen this discussed before somewhere but it's long ago.I seem to recall the consensus reached was a draw offer every 6-7 moves was ok.But don't put any money on that
  8. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    20 May '12 16:59
    That would fall under distracting/annoying the opponent which is forbidden.I don't think there's a rule on how many draw offers are permitted.If annoyed you'd call the arbiter.

I've seen this discussed before somewhere but it's long ago.I seem to recall the consensus reached was a draw offer every 6-7 moves was ok.But don't put any money on that
    Fair enough. Thanks.
  9. Leeds, UK
    Moves
    20 May '12 17:49

Once at a weekend congress, and played a little asian kid. The little f***er offered me a draw literally after every move, and on one occasion offered the draw, when I said no, he left the board, came back and offered it again before I had even made another move! 😠

To this day I don't know why I put up with this and didn't call an arbiter - I kind of had it in the back of my mind that he was only about 9 and it would look really petty.

He is also the proud owner of two "helicopter parents" - ones that circle the board like vultures to distract their kids opponent - I once saw the father bend over so low to the board (to "study the position"😉 that he nearly put his eye out on a Bishop!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '12 09:40
    Originally posted by HarryFlashman
    Couldn't agree more - the game was lost anyway, quite a while before the forced mate.

Korchnoi once famously said to an Indian GM in the middle of their game "Do you speak English?" The GM said "Yes" and Korchnoi went "Then why don't you resign?!"

Appropriate here 😛
    i really did laugh out loud at that! thanks!
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    21 May '12 17:08
    That's what chess is about to win a game with the other person running out of time.
  12. StygnosticA
    Moves
    21 May '12 20:12
    Is it, therefore, poor chess conduct to drag the game out to a final conclusion in order to prove that the opponent HAS actually beaten you?
  13. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    21 May '12 21:54
    Originally posted by Kodanshi Helcarver
    Is it, therefore, poor chess conduct to drag the game out to a final conclusion in order to prove that the opponent HAS actually beaten you?
    Yes
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '06
    Moves
    22 May '12 09:22
    Originally posted by Kodanshi Helcarver
    No. How can playing by the rules be poor conduct. You cannot know why your opponent played on.
  15. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 May '12 11:28
    Originally posted by Bull McCabe
    No. How can playing by the rules be poor conduct. You cannot know why your opponent played on.
    That's the difference between the rules and etiquette. Things can be poor conduct even if not against the rules.

If you have a valid reason for playing on, no problem at all. You may not even know the game is lost.

But if you know that there is no conceivable chance of extracting a win or a draw, you really should resign.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree