Chess Etiquette

Chess Etiquette

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BM

Moves
22 May 12

Originally posted by Rank outsider
[b]That's the difference between the rules and etiquette.
My point exactely. When you resign a game is to do with the rules and not etiquette

W

Moves
22 May 12

Originally posted by Bull McCabe
My point exactely. When you resign a game is to do with the rules and not etiquette
no

BM

Moves
22 May 12

Originally posted by Wilfriedva
no
So your opponent should decide when you resign.

W

Moves
22 May 12

So your opponent should decide when you resign.
LOL!

You decide of course.But when exactly is a matter of etiquette.

Other then some,debatable,social conventions there simply are no rules on the moment one should resign.

BM

Moves
22 May 12

social Originally posted by Wilfriedva
LOL!

You decide of course.But when exactly is a matter of etiquette.

Other then some,debatable,social conventions there simply are no rules on the moment one should resign.
Ok, This is fun. What is the difference between etiquette and social conventions

Ro

Moves
22 May 12

That's not true. It can be both part of the rules and part of etiquette. They are not mutually exclusive. You may disagree with what is correct etiquette, but arguing that anything within the rules is acceptable etiquette is just not the case.

Take golf as an example. If Tiger Woods were playing me in matchplay, and he had 4 shots to hole out, on a flat green, to win and and was 8ft from the hole, the rules of the game would allow me to demand that he hole out. However, to actually demand that he does so would be considered by most golfers to be a breach of etiquette.

Play by the strict letter of the rules if you want, but if you do, you will alienate a lot of people you play against. If you don't care, then fine, but that just means that you have no interest in etiquette.

It does not mean that etiquette does not exist and has no value.

W

Moves
22 May 12

Ok, This is fun. What is the difference between etiquette and social conventions
ummm......none?

Ro

Moves
22 May 12
1 edit

That's not true. It can be both part of the rules and part of etiquette. They are not mutually exclusive. You may disagree with what is correct etiquette, but arguing that anything within the rules is acceptable etiquette is just not the case.

Take golf as an example. If Tiger Woods were playing me in matchplay, and he had 4 shots to hole out, o no interest in etiquette.

It does not mean that etiquette does not exist and has no value.
It's a bit like someone who argues "Everything I did was perfectly legal" as if the only measure of acceptable behaviour is what is legal.

Well, adultery in the UK is legal, but I doubt my wife would see this as a particularly persuasive argument!

So, by all means force a 2200 ELO player to play on an extra 10 moves in a K v K & R endgame, but don't be surprised if that person declines your offer of a rematch.

BM

Moves
22 May 12

It's a bit like someone who argues "Everything I did was perfectly legal" as if the only measure of acceptable behaviour is what is legal.

Well, adultery in the UK is legal, but I doubt my wife would see this as a particularly persuasive argument!

So, by all means force a 2200 ELO player to play on an extra 10 moves in a K v K & R endgame, but don't be surprised if that person declines your offer of a rematch.
We are talking the general rule here, not playing Tiger. If you were in a badly losing position v Anand, it would good manners to resign, but we are talking the general rule.

BM

Moves
22 May 12

ummm......none?
So we have moved from yes and no to debatable. Mayby it is best to leave it there

Ro

Moves
22 May 12

We are talking the general rule here, not playing Tiger. If you were in a badly losing position v Anand, it would good manners to resign, but we are talking the general rule.
I think I did state a general rule.

"But if you know that there is no conceivable chance of extracting a win or a draw, you really should resign."

It doesn't matter who the opponent is. If you think you can win, or squeak a draw, I have no beef in you playing on. If there is no prospect of this happening (and you must decide this) then you should resign.

Do you disagree with this?

Ro

Moves
22 May 12

Actually, if I were playing Anand, and I ended up with K&R v his K, then it would be bad manners for him not to resign, even at my modest level of chess.

W

Moves
22 May 12

So we have moved from yes and no to debatable. Mayby it is best to leave it there
you've lost me.

What is debatable?

BM

Moves
22 May 12

you've lost me.

What is debatable?
Social conventions. I am agreeing with your post.

BM

Moves
22 May 12

I think I did state a general rule.

[b]"But if you know that there is no conceivable chance of extracting a win or a draw, you really should resign."

It doesn't matter who the opponent is. If you think you can win, or squeak a draw, I have no beef in you playing on. If there is no prospect of this happening (and you must decide this) then you should resign.

Do you disagree with this?[/b]
Yes; in the case of players of fairly equal strengh I disagree