1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 16:19
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    A banned member should lose all his tournament victories to the the second in the tournies in question.
    But if the 2nd and 3rd has the same number of points, then what?
    This is tough one.

In the olympics, if one goes on steorids, he (she) has to return the medal and the silver winner gets it. (...silver goes to bronze and the 4th one gets the bronze...)
    I totally agree. I came in 2nd to him in a November Hardcore Grand. Talk about being robbed.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/view.php?tid=3026

I would think that reassigning victories in tournaments like this is possible and something that RHP should do for its paying subscribers.
  2. Joined
    08 May '07
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 17:05
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Apparently you [b]do study endgames the way I do.

I study them to understand basic principles, what to aim for and what to avoid, how to get my pieces working together better if I get there, etc.

but we get off the point as I think we were talking at one stage about someone who alledgedly memorised detailed ending variations and I am merely say ...[text shortened]... oves then as soon as you leave your DB you will blunder and lose as I have seen happen so often.[/b]
    Yes, I agree with you 100%
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 17:05
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Apparently you [b]do study endgames the way I do.

I study them to understand basic principles, what to aim for and what to avoid, how to get my pieces working together better if I get there, etc.

but we get off the point as I think we were talking at one stage about someone who alledgedly memorised detailed ending variations and I am merely say ...[text shortened]... oves then as soon as you leave your DB you will blunder and lose as I have seen happen so often.[/b]
    a while ago me and some other chess bloggers came across a fairly simple endgame position. one of us is a lower rated endgame enthusias, and the rest more tactically biased players with endgame skills ranging from modest to nonexistent. no, what's interesting, is that even though all of us solved the position correctly, there was a huge difference in the time we used.

the endgame guy solved it almost instantly, where as us tacticians took a lot of time. we dove into calculation, looked at all kinds of lines, and finally ended up with the right one mostly by process of elimination. the endgame guy saw the right first move immediately, and later told us something like "that's just the kind of move that usually works in this kind of situation" or something to that effect.

it wasn't a theory position, but the guy who spends most of his time with endgames could draw from his experience, and immediately spot the right idea. where as us tacticians started shooting into the dark, because we just lacked the experience which would trigger our thoughts into the right direction.

so, in the end, even if the endgame positions you study won't ever appear in your games, you still gain a lot in intuition by studying them. but that kind of progress is almost impossible to recognize in yourself.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 17:36
    Quite a large percentage of my games get to an endgame, and being pretty good at them I can generally outplay someone of my own sort of level, especially if we are both in time trouble. However in a recent county game my opponent, who was two pawns down, saw a way to simplify to a drawn rook and pawn ending and successfully pulled it off before I worked out what he was up to.
  5. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 18:02
    Originally posted by wormwood
    a while ago me and some other chess bloggers came across a fairly simple endgame position...
    I suspect many would be interested in seeing this position, myself included. Would you be able to post it here (in a new thread)?
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 06:18
    Originally posted by DawgHaus
    I suspect many would be interested in seeing this position, myself included. Would you be able to post it here (in a new thread)?
    I'm too lazy (and drunk) to write anything new about this right now. but here's the link:

http://temposchlucker.blogspot.com/2008/01/to-core-of-chess-improvement.html
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 07:111 edit
    Maybe my endgames are better than I thought. It was quickly clear to me that Black is dead lost.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 08:01
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I'm too lazy (and drunk) to write anything new about this right now. but here's the link:

http://temposchlucker.blogspot.com/2008/01/to-core-of-chess-improvement.html
    in that game don't you use..I don't remember what the technique is called...something like fox in the hole...where basically you keep the opponents king busy with a passed pawn while you gobble up all his pawns on the other side of the board with your king? is that the basic strategy of it?
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 09:29
    It's an interesting position. I managed to draw with Black when I played it out with my son when we reached Q vs 2 bishop pawns (on f3 and f5). After the game I told him that it would have been best to go for Q vs bishop pawn on the 7th from that position (once it had reached Q vs 2) as the defender might not know the stalemate trick!
  10. The Hague
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 12:351 edit
    Originally posted by Ullr
    I totally agree. I came in 2nd to him in a November Hardcore Grand. Talk about being robbed.

I would think that reassigning victories in tournaments like this is possible and something that RHP should do for its paying subscribers.
    Same here... Tournament 3023
    Edit: on the game in that tourney that I drew with erice1, he asked me afterwards why it was a draw... apparently didn't notice the 3-time repetition.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 15:47
    Originally posted by davaniel
    Same here... Tournament 3023
    Edit: on the game in that tourney that I drew with erice1, he asked me afterwards why it was a draw... apparently didn't notice the 3-time repetition.
    LOL.

D
  12. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 16:11
    It seems after any user is banned, there are at least 2-3 threads condemning / excusing / legendarizing them.

🙄
  13. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 17:19
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    in that game don't you use..I don't remember what the technique is called...something like fox in the hole...where basically you keep the opponents king busy with a passed pawn while you gobble up all his pawns on the other side of the board with your king? is that the basic strategy of it?
    its called fox in the chicken coupe no?
  14. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 18:14
    Originally posted by Ullr

Not possible unless you had a mini tournament with all the people he knocked out as each of them could have been the winner
  15. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 18:29
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    its called fox in the chicken coupe no?
    That's the name Silman gave it, but I don't think I've ever heard it elsewhere.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree