1. Standard memberIcky Ike
    Pro-Complainer
    California
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 08:312 edits
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I am no expert, but on what grounds can he sue? surely the laws of the game were simply applied when he didn't turn up. I wish he had just played, but maybe Topolov's plan worked and he was too aggitated and would have lost anyway? If it's a draw today and Topolov goes on to win I think it will be a hollow victory as many will not recognize him as the worl ut he has brought it on himself and IMO only an appology from him would even things out now.
    The games after game 5 were postponed because of Kramnik's refusal to play. During this period all of the commitee's decisions were reversed and the commitee itself was made to resign and was replaced.

Here is the question. Why allow the postponement of the other games as a result of protest and not game 5? And then why allow that game to count as a forfeit in either players' favor when it was not played because of conditions that were found to be so unfairly imposed that they were overturned and the commitee who made them was forced to disperse???

It's faulty logic.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 08:491 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 09:081 edit
    Originally posted by ItalyBoyBlue
    The games after game 5 were postponed because of Kramnik's refusal to play. During this period all of the commitee's decisions were reversed and the commitee itself was made to resign and was replaced.

Here is the question. Why allow the postponement of the other games as a result of protest and not game 5? And then why allow that game to count as a re overturned and the commitee who made them was forced to disperse???

It's faulty logic.
    As in any sport when the referee makes a mistake, the decision still stands. When Kramnik placed toilet facilities above chess, even if he was in the right, he lost game 5.

The committee was replaced and some of its decisions reversed as a compromise in order to save the match and avoid Kramnik walking out completely. The result of game 5 was not reversed.

As for the grounds of an appeal on the outcome of game 5, it all rests on whether "restroom and a toilet" can be contrued to mean "restroom with a toilet". I doubt that even Kramnik would place too much hope in a positive outcome.
  4. London
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 10:09
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    As for the grounds of an appeal on the outcome of game 5, it all rests on whether "restroom and a toilet" can be contrued to mean "restroom with a toilet". I doubt that even Kramnik would place too much hope in a positive outcome.
    The grounds of appeal would be more than that. Kramnik also cites provisions where match conditions (including restroom with/and a toilet) cannot be unilaterally changed once both sides have agreed to it and the match starts.
  5. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 10:13
    let's hope the human and the inventive attacking chess will defeat the computer and the defensive
  6. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 10:30
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Breach of contract by the match organizers would be a place to start. Remember that prize money is being awarded based on the result of the match.
    Actually I think they both receive the same prize money regardless of the final result.
  7. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 10:37
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Actually I think they both receive the same prize money regardless of the final result.
    Yes, but money is not everything if you are already a millionaire. It means something... but perhaps not everything!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 10:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 11:20
    1.d4

Has every white game started with d4??
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 11:28
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    1.d4

Has every white game started with d4??
    All games start with a white move.
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 11:292 edits
    It looks like Kramnik is trying to get all his pawns onto black squares whilst Topov attempts to get all of his onto white squares. Kramnik obviously has a huge advantage because Topov's g7 pawn in going to be very difficult to shift.

Actually, knowing Topov's complete disregard for normal rules about weak pawns, I bet he goes for a pawn on f5 supporting one on g4, even though the f-pawn will be backward.
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 11:34
    Seems weird for Kramnik to castle kingside even though Topov has a half open h-file. I think I prefer Topov's position here.
  13. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 11:42
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    All games start with a white move.
    Good point, spot the redundant word.

Has every game in this match started with 1.d4?
  14. Under Cover
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 12:08
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Seems weird for Kramnik to castle kingside even though Topov has a half open h-file. I think I prefer Topov's position here.
    Susan Polgar seems to agree with you.

Taken from her live commentary:

14.O-O (I would have preferred to castle Queenside here as the h file is opened for Black. One of the possible moves now for Black is Nf6. It is a sensible move and Black can draw this game quite comfortably if he wants to. The Black Knight is better than the White Bishop in this position.)
  15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 12:35
    Topov played g5 and Susan Polgar's blog goes down. Surely these events must be connected?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree