1. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 12:13
    A number of us in RHP have been interested to observe the rise of GM Norblackheart to the giddy heights of the leader board with a close-to-perfect game score, and a rating of 2365 currently. This player has informed a number of us, myself included, that the explanation for his performance is simple: he claims to be a real GM. Indeed he claims to be the Norwegian GM, Kjetil Lie.

There's only one foolproof way to know the truth of this. So early yesterday evening, assisted by my friend and colleague, Andrew Martin, the English IM and well-known chess author, I made direct contact with Kjetil Lie in Norway.

And guess what! Kjetil Lie does not play on this site; never has played here; has no plans to play here; and would never dream of spending his scarce time beating up on amateur players. But he is most concerned that someone is impersonating him in this manner. As I said, IM Andrew Martin was party to the discussion, so its bona fide is secure.

I have only one further thing to add: since GM Norblackheart is not GM Kjetil Lie, we must seek an alternative explanation for his near-faultless climb up the leader board.

ps. I informed site Admin of this news last night.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 12:31
    Originally posted by atticus2
    A number of us in RHP have been interested to observe the rise of GM Norblackheart to the giddy heights of the leader board with a close-to-perfect game score, and a rating of 2365 currently. This player has informed a number of us, myself included, that the explanation for his performance is simple: he claims to be a real GM. Indeed he claims to be the Nor ...[text shortened]... near-faultless climb up the leader board.

Bums rush out the window for this fraudster me thinks!
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 12:54
    perhaps he has a clone? lol
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 14:02

Of course, impersonating people isn't against the TOS, as far as I remember, so we'll probably be left with just maligning his character for a while. As pointed out in some other threads, it was really, really, unlikely that an active GM would play here anyway.

I've made the suggestion in the past the titled players (FMs, IMs, and GMs) ought to be marked on this site like they are on ICC (I'm not sure how ICC confirms this). I've been told by (FM) friends of mine that one barrier to playing on site like this are the regular cheating accusations. I thought titled players might catch a little less grief if they were allowed to indicate their title. Of course, I'm doubtful this would help GMNorblackheart, but it would reduce the number of impersonators, too.
  5. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 14:18
    Originally posted by Erekose
    Of course, impersonating people isn't against the TOS, as far as I remember, so we'll probably be left with just maligning his character for a while.
    Bad memory, huh?

TOS #6 - Member conduct:

"You agree to not use the Service to:
    ...Impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, RHP staff, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;".
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 14:53
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Bad memory, huh?

TOS #6 - Member conduct:

"You agree to not use the Service to:
    ...Impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, RHP staff, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;".
    Indeed and good news, too.
  7. Romania
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 15:02

yesterday evening, assisted by my friend and colleague, Andrew Martin, the English IM and well-known chess author, I made direct contact with Kjetil Lie in Norway.

And guess what! Kjetil Lie does not play on this site[/b]
    Do you think that's a surprise? πŸ™‚)
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 15:50
    A number of us in RHP have been interested to observe the rise of GM Norblackheart to the giddy heights of the leader board with a close-to-perfect game score, and a rating of 2365 currently. This player has informed a number of us, myself included, that the explanation for his performance is simple: he claims to be a real GM. Indeed he claims to be the Nor ...[text shortened]... near-faultless climb up the leader board.

I'm sure everybody is just shocked by all this. πŸ™‚
  9. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 16:14
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I'm sure everybody is just shocked by all this. πŸ™‚
    Not so shocked as many were convinced he was one and the same as the chap on GK, for example, calling himself 'Magnus' there...I know admin were interested to know of his identity and extensive inquiries were made but atticus has done a service to the site and the cc community in general, attempting ridding the menace of the fake titled players.
    We took in the GM at 'chessperados' for fully 2weeks, unfortunately any questions pertaining to i.d. were never forthcoming. If you claim to be someone 'of note' then surely you must expect great interest here, this is a guy that claimed to be Carlsen's second in WC...he didn't at any time try to claim he was anyone other than GM Lie. Sir, you must expect no sympathy when the truth comes to light.. so I retract my apologies to you 'Kjetil' for having to boot you based upon the clans then majority verdict. Are you going to disappear, if you do then please remember to resign all your games as it's a pain for any non subs waiting on your demise. Cheerio.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 16:351 edit
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Not so shocked as many were convinced he was...
    good day sir, I'm afraid your irony detector seems to be turned off. please switch it on at all times while using international forums. have a nice day and drive safely!
  11. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 16:43
    good day sir, I'm afraid your irony detector seems to be turned off. please switch it on at all times while using international forums. have a nice day and drive safely!
    The comic double entendre obviously becomes you πŸ˜‰
  12. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 17:01
    Thank you, Atticus2, for putting this fraud to bed.
    However, I wish to inject another question.
    Has the person calling himself GM Norblackheart, and pretending to be Kjetil Lie, also been on this site in other guises?
    I think so. IP's are easy to change, and e-mails change like Eva Gabor's wigs. Squashing one persona merely allows the guy to pop up in another, like the Smash the Gopher game. This site needs to dispense with the anonymity and require better control of ID. Of course, the best way is the credit card needed to become a member. There are ways around it, of course. I'm not sure that they even cross-check credit card #'s with other accounts.
    Look for one highly rated player who faded from view at the same time ol' GM showed up (Oct 1st), and you may realize who his former persona was. (and still is; just not active in the last 4 months.) Or watch for another to show up.
    Or perhaps, this time, the guy (girl?) is beaten and will give up.
    Somehow I doubt it though.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 17:15
    Originally posted by DanTriola
    Thank you, Atticus2, for putting this fraud to bed.
    However, I wish to inject another question.
    Has the person calling himself GM Norblackheart, and pretending to be Kjetil Lie, also been on this site in other guises?
    I think so. IP's are easy to change, and e-mails change like Eva Gabor's wigs. Squashing one persona merely allows the guy to pop up in ...[text shortened]... erhaps, this time, the guy (girl?) is beaten and will give up.
    Somehow I doubt it though.
    I think the best way to discourage a cheater is to burn them early and often. it won't be much fun anymore if reaching the #1 page becomes impossible, and they'll fade away.
  14. Standard memberMathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    leΓΆlΓ©s ellenfeleim
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 17:191 edit
    Tournament 10646

I make no claims in respect of this tourney, but if
    GMNottherealdeal is exposed, I'm sure that the other players
    will welcome a ban tout court. What a waste of our time
    and energy this has been...

😠
  15. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Feb '11 18:11
    I think the best way to discourage a cheater is to burn them early and often. it won't be much fun anymore if reaching the #1 page becomes impossible, and they'll fade away.
    Reasonably, (with a reasonable person), you are correct.
    I am not sure that this is a reasonable person however. Seems a bit obsessive to me, to put so much time and energy into a sham.
    As William Shatner once said:"Get a life!"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree