GM Norblackheart - some news!

GM Norblackheart - some news!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h
peacedog's keeper

Moves
09 Feb 11

Originally posted by cotoi
In freestyle strong OTB players are more likely to get an advantage over patzers, due to time constraints. The link posted above shows that engine are so powerful that they can nullify the experience of a strong OTB player.
Is it just me or does the term "freestyle" sound a bit... you know... ****.

Wonder how fast a swimmer could do a length when in a speedboat?

😴

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
09 Feb 11

Originally posted by hedonist
Is it just me or does the term "freestyle" sound a bit... you know... ****.

Wonder how fast a swimmer could do a length when in a speedboat?

😴
Freestyle swimming already exists.No speedboats though, just any style of swimming stroke you like.

Z

Moves
09 Feb 11

Originally posted by nimzo5
He dropped off gameknot briefly, then came back full force.. I wouldn't count on him leaving quietly.
Game 8115022 πŸ˜€

M
sorozatgyilkos

leΓΆlΓ©s ellenfeleim

Moves
09 Feb 11

Originally posted by Zaubernuss
Game 8115022 πŸ˜€
πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Conductor

Zwolle

Moves
09 Feb 11

Originally posted by Zaubernuss
Game 8115022 πŸ˜€
Who's next???

h
peacedog's keeper

Moves
09 Feb 11

Originally posted by Diophantus
Freestyle swimming already exists.No speedboats though, just any style of swimming stroke you like.
That is my point.

"freestlye boxing". Ok if I can use an axe? πŸ˜€

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
10 Feb 11

Originally posted by hedonist
That is my point.

"freestlye boxing". Ok if I can use an axe? πŸ˜€
I don't think an axe would count as a punch. I'd interpret freestyle boxing as anything goes provided I am not adding anything (axe, Uzi, flamethrower etc) to my body. That seems to be the way freestyle swimming works - you can use any stroke you like (most go for crawl as it is fastest) but no flippers, outboard motors or any other mechanical aids. At least, that's how Olympic swimming competitions seem to be arranged. I suppose on that basis freestyle chess ought to be "any style you like but no silicon assistance" but I didn't invent the genre. You'll have to go argue with Mr. Kasparov about that!

Houston, Texas

Moves
11 Feb 11

I thought in freestyle chess, by definition, you do have "silicon assistance" (if you want) -- i.e., computers, chess engines. Thus, it may be considered like having an axe in a boxing match or having a speed boat in a freestyle swimming. I guess if the chess engines were not big contributors, they might be more analgous to deflection ointment than an axe in a boxing match, or like foot flippers than a speed boat in a swimming competition.

Also, is there a difference between "freestyle chess" versus "advanced chess" initiated I understand by Kasparov?

Houston, Texas

Moves
11 Feb 11

According to wikipedia:

"Advanced Chess is a relatively new form of chess, wherein each human player uses a computer chess program to help him explore the possible results of candidate moves. The human players, despite this computer assistance, are still fully in control of what moves their 'team' (of one human and one computer) make."

"Advanced Chess (sometimes called cyborg chess or centaur chess) was first introduced by grandmaster Garry Kasparov, with the objective of a human player and a computer chess program playing as a team against other such pairs."

Houston, Texas

Moves
11 Feb 11

Looks like GM Norblackheart is dropping off. Hasn't moved in 5 days and is timing out.

e4

Moves
11 Feb 11
1 edit

Yes but in the Championship games his opponents have to wait 50 days
before the skull appears.

He is slipping down the table, those waiting for skulls will have to set
their alarms to skull him whilst his grade is so high.
He has ATM 56 games in progress, last to skull him will get a few points.

I wonder if anyone will refuse to skull him because it's bad manners.
(see the 'shall I' or 'should I' threads.)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Feb 11
2 edits

Originally posted by moon1969
According to wikipedia:

"Advanced Chess is a relatively new form of chess, wherein each human player uses a computer chess program to help him explore the possible results of candidate moves. The human players, despite this computer assistance, are still fully in control of what moves their 'team' (of one human and one computer) make."

"Advanced Chess ...[text shortened]... f a human player and a computer chess program playing as a team against other such pairs."
But if you can connect with a real world class super computer, like the latest greatest model, fastest in the world, is now in China. If you could get to a comp like that, how would any multi core PC in one box compete? What if quantum computers are perfected and used for chess, I think it would outplay any silicon job. What then?

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
11 Feb 11

Originally posted by moon1969
I thought in freestyle chess, by definition, you do have "silicon assistance" (if you want) -- i.e., computers, chess engines. Thus, it may be considered like having an axe in a boxing match or having a speed boat in a freestyle swimming. I guess if the chess engines were not big contributors, they might be more analgous to deflection ointment than an axe ...[text shortened]... ence between "freestyle chess" versus "advanced chess" initiated I understand by Kasparov?
That's why I said "ought to be". As far as I know freestyle and advanced chess are basically the same, except that in advanced chess the computer is integral to the game whereas you don't have to use one in freestyle because anything goes. I doubt anyone would refuse to use computer assistance though, it would be akin to refusing to use a car during a Formula 1 race.

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
11 Feb 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
But if you can connect with a real world class super computer, like the latest greatest model, fastest in the world, is now in China. If you could get to a comp like that, how would any multi core PC in one box compete? What if quantum computers are perfected and used for chess, I think it would outplay any silicon job. What then?
You can rent a chunk of a supercomputer:

http://rybkachess.com/Cluster/

That's generally how supercomputers get used, it is rare for any one project to use the entire machine at any one time.

n

Moves
12 Feb 11

I played GM Norblackheart and asked him if he was for real. His stats was to good to be true. I am from Sweden and addressed him in Swedish and he answered me, in Norwegian, and stated he was Kjetil Lie with a ELO of 2530. I reported this to the site-admin.