1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 08:15
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I never understood his banning because I also can't beat engines yet in Game 2211536 I apparently did.

This was his first loss so did he only start using an engine after this and, if so, he was rated at least 1800-2000 without an engine so why?
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 08:21
    I might be wrong but I suspect that for each player who submits quality analysis on a suspected cheater there are a hundred who submit spurious claims and working through all these is what takes the time and delays things.

I even read and receive PMs accusing 1500s of using an engine and we both know that if you are playing at that level you are not using an engine or you are using such a bad one it is irrelevant. If you are using the chess engine that comes with Vista I don't really care as, so far, I have beaten it every time.
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 08:23
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    stretching the envelope, those aren't realistic down to earth solutions.

Originally posted by no1marauder
    This is a false choice. No one is asking to ban suspected cheats on "flimsy" evidence. What we are asking that the same standards that have been applied in the past - overwhelming evidence beyond a reasonable doubt - be applied NOW. ...[text shortened]... is favor of banning cheats once their guilt is sufficiently established.
    OK guys, I'm not 100% serious here. Just trying to show what a hard job the mods have and trying to be a bit sarcastic in the process.
  4. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    11 Jun '08 16:07
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    OK guys, I'm not 100% serious here. Just trying to show what a hard job the mods have and trying to be a bit sarcastic in the process.
    That makes sense, maybe the sarcasm wasn't misplaced as so many here do make this very point.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 14:18
    Is there a good place that explains "3b" or like an more advanced FAQ for banning violations, or forum ettiquette? Is it on one of the other sister sites?

I have a buddy who got recently banned, and he doesn't know why. His official explanation was that he was playing "fake games". I don't hang out here in the forums much, so my limited research looks like he wasn't a 'sandbagger', and I'm pretty sure he was not using a simulator. He did say that 95% of his games were tourney games. ...

If you have specific questions, send me a message. Otherwise, if there's a list of official bannible offenses/behaiviors, please point me the way.

Thanks!!
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 14:29
    Originally posted by Garmana
    Is there a good place that explains "3b" or like an more advanced FAQ for banning violations, or forum ettiquette? Is it on one of the other sister sites?

I have a buddy who got recently banned, and he doesn't know why. His official explanation was that he was playing "fake games". I don't hang out here in the forums much, so my limited research look ...[text shortened]... list of official bannible offenses/behaiviors, please point me the way.

Thanks!!
    3b refers to the contract every user agrees to by joining in, the 'terms of service'.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/myhome/termsofservice.php

3(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 16:11
    Originally posted by Garmana

I have a buddy who got recently banned, and he doesn't know why. His official explanation was that he was playing "fake games". I don't hang out here in the forums much, so my limited research look ...[text shortened]... list of official bannible offenses/behaiviors, please point me the way.

Thanks!!
    Whats his name? Then we might just be able to tell you why!
  8. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 18:27
    Whats his name? Then we might just be able to tell you why!
    Maybe it was ths guy.

User 414759

So apparently someone is banning people again.
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 19:33
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Maybe it was ths guy.

User 414759

I love it when people apply themselves and learn. The improvement from Game 4516270 to now is awesome and just shows what a little dedication and studying can do to your play.

I tell everyone, "Practice! Practice! Practice! and you too can improve like this!"
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 19:41
    I love it when people apply themselves and learn. The improvement from Game 4516270 to now is awesome and just shows what a little dedication and studying can do to your play.

I tell everyone, "Practice! Practice! Practice! and you too can improve like this!"
    Nice. The PGN for that game gives a date of January '08. That's what I call rapid improvement.
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 20:561 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 21:051 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 21:17
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Maybe it was ths guy.

User 414759

Good.
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 21:55
    The improvement from Game 4516270 to now is awesome and just shows what a little dedication and studying can do to your play.
    Well... I was hoping to privately identify him via messaging, but yeah, Lundos has correctly identified him.

I am not 100% sure that he's not cheating, but a group of us joined RHP from another message board, to form a little mini 'league', he claims innocence, and I don't know why on earth he would bother to cheat. ... were all a little perplexed.

A 'little dedication and study' sounds a tiny bit sarcastic. 😉 I'm still wondering why he was banned. If there was an sequence that screams out "cheater", at least we can tell the guy what he was doing.

Thanks for the responses. Like I said, we're just trying to figure out why he was banned.
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 22:08
    His was a banning that surprised me. From my games against him I never got a feeling I was playing Fritz but I also felt he was a reasonsbly strong player (1800+) and seemed a nice genuine guy.

Its the reasonably strong players (circa 1800-2000) who then start using Fritz to get to 2300 that really surprise me because if you are that level a bit of legitimate effort may very well get you to 2100-2200 by perfectly fair means.

Other people I've played (Dixie Guy and Cypher Oz come to mind) I felt during the game that I was playing an engine (every move was simply perfect taking advantage of my slightest mistake) so when they subsequently got banned I expected it.

Interestingly I had 2 players who played almost perfectly but made 1 or 2 errors that I capitalised on, who as soon as they started losing in a game accused me of being an engine. One of them went on to beat me in both games still making his accusations whilst the other stopped moving although he was certainly winning one of our 2 games. Both then disappeared from the site and surprisingly when I later ran the games through Fritz their match up was far higher than mine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree