Grintzi was Banned

Grintzi was Banned

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
23 Jun 08

Originally posted by Garmana
Well... I was hoping to privately identify him via messaging, but yeah, Lundos has correctly identified him.

I am not 100% sure that he's not cheating, but a group of us joined RHP from another message board, to form a little mini 'league', he claims innocence, and I don't know why on earth he would bother to cheat. ... were all a little perplexed.
...[text shortened]... ks for the responses. Like I said, we're just trying to figure out why he was banned.
In my opinion he was banned for using an engine. His improved performance indicates this to me without a need to run his games through an engine as no one loses to a player graded 1200 one minute and rises to 2200 a few months later.

With no disresepect intended to sub 1200 players but they are beginners and a player graded 2200 could give then a Rook or even a Queen and still win but no potential 2200 player plays in the way he played in the game I showed even on a very very bad day and playing blitz.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
24 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
I love it when people apply themselves and learn. The improvement from Game 4516270 to now is awesome and just shows what a little dedication and studying can do to your play.

I tell everyone, "Practice! Practice! Practice! and you too can improve like this!"
Hmmm...how did you find this game? When I search on illini's games, they don't go back farther than April '08. I smell a cover-up.

M

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Hmmm...how did you find this game? When I search on illini's games, they don't go back farther than April '08. I smell a cover-up.
Conspiracy theorist.

You can search any game at all from the profile graph - try clicking anywhere in the green stuff!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by MissOleum
You can search any game at all from the profile graph - try clicking anywhere in the green stuff!
Shhhhhh - not so loud, the admin might hear you.

G

Moves
24 Jun 08

no one loses to a player graded 1200 one minute and rises to 2200 a few months later.
I'm just saying he played in 413 games over those last few (6) months. I would understand if he played like me, and only ran 3-4 games at a time and finishing 1-2 games a week that that kind of leap would be astounding, but this guy was finishing 3 games a day and probably had 12-18 active games.

Thanks all for the replies.

SS

Moves
24 Jun 08

GF
soccer player

USA

Moves
24 Jun 08

illini is banned

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
24 Jun 08
4 edits

1. Originally posted by Garmana
I'm just saying he played in 413 games over those last few (6) months. I would understand .... only ran 3-4 games at a time and finishing 1-2 games a week that that kind of leap would be astounding, but this guy was finishing 3 games a day and probably had 12-18 active games.

2. Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
Some of ...[text shortened]... players here are 2000 rated playing 100 + games at once. And you wont see them losing to 1100s
1. I could play 1000 concurrent games and lose a load of them to really stupid moves but I would not ever make moves even when under extreme time pressure as bad as I saw in that game.

You are fooling yourself if you think someone potentially graded 2200 could play at that level in any circumstances.

Of course that is circumstantial although pretty overwhelming in my opinion but I am 100% certain subsequent games showed a high engine match up and probably some typical, give away, engine moves.

I am sorry that you don't like to hear this but clearly the ban, in the face of overwhelming evidence, was for using an engine and if this is someone you know and you are a competent chess player yourself you will know this to be true.

2. I could play blitz against an 1100 blindfolded and would not lose.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
24 Jun 08
2 edits

1. I could play 1000 concurrent games and lose a load of them to really stupid moves but I would not ever make moves even when under extreme time pressure as bad as I saw in that game.

You are fooling yourself if you think someone potentially graded 2200 could play at that level in any circumstances.

Of course that is circumstantial although pretty now this to be true.

2. I could play blitz against an 1100 blindfolded and would not lose.
Well you did lose to a player rated 1233 at the time of the game according to your graph: http://www.timeforchess.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=2188029

It's unwise to make categorical claims like you "couldn't lose" to a player of a certain rating. Yes you could if you made serious enough mistakes and they played well which even an 1100 can do at times.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
24 Jun 08
2 edits

Originally posted by no1marauder
Well you did lose to a player rated 1233 at the time of the game according to your graph: http://www.timeforchess.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=2188029

It's unwise to make categorical claims like you "couldn't lose" to a player of a certain rating. Yes you could if you made serious enough mistakes and they played well which even an 1100 can do at times.
Ah yes I remember that game (Game 2188029). I miscalculated (in my haste thinking I had an easy victory) and allowed him to get that d pawn through.

In my defence I was virtually playing blitz at that time and he is actually rated circa 1500 not 1200 but you are quite correct over confidence can lead one to make the most stupid mistakes and lose to unlikely opposition. I have, of course, lost to loads of 1500s in my time and no doubt will do so again but 1200s on a regular basis like we are talking about here is something completely different.

That was the 2nd game I lost but the 1st was Game 2187865 an equally shameful defeat resulting from reckless over confidence against another 1500 player where I was so convinced he wouldn't see it all I even made him mate me rather than resign.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by Green Frog
illini is banned
Yes, but I've never seen them hide the games of banned players before.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
24 Jun 08
3 edits

Yes, but I've never seen them hide the games of banned players before.
You can get at all his games, like this stunning loss for example from January 17th 2008. Mind you Game 4493018 is so bad perhaps it should be hidden.

A few days earlier there was a gem in Game 4491089.

Now we all make mistakes (I know that) and sometimes we get over confident and play deliberately crazy moves (just for fun) so some of the moves made in these games can perhaps be forgiven with these as possibilities but the number and nature of the mistakes is enough to show this isn't a 2000+ player having a bad day or even fooling around a little but a beginner making very elementary beginners mistakes and no one goes from beginner to 2000+ in 6 months with any amount of study.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
24 Jun 08
2 edits

You can get at all his games, like this stunning loss for example from January 17th 2008. Mind you Game 4493018 is so bad perhaps it should be hidden.

A few days earlier there was a gem in Game 4491089.

Now we all make mistakes (I know that) and sometimes we get over confident and play deliberately crazy moves (just for fun) so some of beginners mistakes and no one goes from beginner to 2000+ in 6 months with any amount of study.
I do agree with this BTW; that particular game is a lot more than one bad move - illini's whole play is utterly amateurish. I could show some very similar examples from other page one players, but getting your posts deleted and warned by the Forum Mods is a bit of a drag.

Someone mentioned this one in General: http://www.timeforchess.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=4964518

This one is in May, but you can sometimes find such examples in the games of cheats when they play a Challenge rather than a tournament or clan game.

EDIT: Game link edited

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
24 Jun 08

Ah yes I remember that game (Game 2188029). I miscalculated (in my haste thinking I had an easy victory) and allowed him to get that d pawn through.

In my defence I was virtually playing blitz at that time and he is actually rated circa 1500 not 1200 but you are quite correct over confidence can lead one to make the most stupid mistakes and lose ...[text shortened]... yer where I was so convinced he wouldn't see it all I even made him mate me rather than resign.
I'm sorry; I just couldn't resist it. I had a similiar embarrassment when I was on this site less than two months; hanging a piece on move 16 to a player rated 1308. http://www.timeforchess.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=596591

The circumstances were like yours; lots of games and blitzing them.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by no1marauder
I'm sorry; I just couldn't resist it. I had a similiar embarrassment when I was on this site less than two months; hanging a piece on move 16 to a player rated 1308. http://www.timeforchess.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=596591

The circumstances were like yours; lots of games and blitzing them.
Its alright! You are forgiven in fact I am flattered that you even bothered to search my past games for this gem (unless your searching was with ulterior motives when I trust you were disappointed or pleased depending on your attitude). Fortunately it does not often happen but I have lost to 1500s before and rest assured I will lose to then again and I will unfortunately never beat a 2500+ player.