How much does drinking while playing effect you...

How much does drinking while playing effect you...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rh

BRADFORD, WEST YORKS

Moves
25 Oct 07

Originally posted by abnoxio
How much does drinking while playing effect your games?
One of the great things about playing at a chess club is that you can't drink a beer while playing. RHP however is a different story. I get a couple of beers in me and my games go to hell.
As a 3rd division team captain in the OTB league i used to advise that players didn't drink and play, but this year I had to fill in in the 1st division and played two people twice my grade and beat them both hands down, now I don't know what to tell my players. But I do think that was probably a case of underestermating a rather fresh 3rd division player with a low grade.

Happy drinking to those who can, or want to.

Renegade

Moves
25 Oct 07

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Originally posted by stevetodd

Thats about my consumption is a year.

Originally posted by 29inchlegs

Alcohol makes you none of those things.
(1) You fall over whilst dancing and look a drunken idiot;
(2) Alcohol destroys brain cells and with it creativity. It is impossible to solve complex problems whilst drunk;
(3) Too much dri ...[text shortened]... confidence making you think you are better at all these things when the reality is you are not.
youre right in relation to point three. You should see my wife...

FL

Moves
25 Oct 07

Originally posted by MetBierOp
Also check this link!
http://www.originelegeschenken.be/images/article_la/1571.jpg
That's absolutely obscene - the board is set up incorrectly.

FL

Moves
25 Oct 07

Originally posted by Mahout
http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org
The trouble with Alcoholics Anonymous is the reliance on religion. Just look at the "12 steps":

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

For those of us who find organised religion mildly ridiculous, there is an excellent secular organisation which helps people stay sober:
http://www.sossobriety.org/fastindex.htm

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
25 Oct 07

Originally posted by Mahout
Alcoholics Anonymous (from the limited info I have) seems to be good for people who have reached a point of realisation that their life if being ruined by drink and there is no other way than complete sobriety - something most drinkers fear. What it seems more difficult to reach is what I call functioning Alcoholics, who are addicted, who do drink too much, ...[text shortened]... are a few thoughts (as above) and wish them good luck in finding what works for them.
You are an alcoholic when you have to have a drink at all costs

(1) it doesn't matter if you do not have money you will steal, shoplift, do without food, etc just to buy drink);
(2) you will hide it from your spouse and pretend you don't drink;
(3) you wake up at 8am and pour yourself a double vodka before you can start the day;
(4) you have a triple brandy as a nightcap;
(5) you drink anything so long as it has alcohol in it. Cheap spirits, cheap wine, cooking sherry - anything!
(6) if anyone mentions it you don't have an alcohol problem as you never get drunk or get a hangover (guess what - true alcoholics do not actually get drunk as their metabolism differs from the rest of us).
(7) you die from Liver failure at the age of 38.

I know all this from personal experience as the person concerned was my ex-wife. Neither her or her family believed she had an alcohol problem. I fooled myself because I rarely drink and certainly don't need to drink, believing I was getting paranoid. After 2 years of marriage the truth dawned on me and divorce soon followed. 5 years later she was dead.

s

Moves
25 Oct 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
You are an alcoholic when you have to have a drink at all costs

(1) it doesn't matter if you do not have money you will steal, shoplift, do without food, etc just to buy drink);
(2) you will hide it from your spouse and pretend you don't drink;
(3) you wake up at 8am and pour yourself a double vodka before you can start the day;
(4) you have a trip rs of marriage the truth dawned on me and divorce soon followed. 5 years later she was dead.
Wow that list certainly seemed desparate, sorry things didn't work out for you and your ex. I actually don't tend to drink anything after dinner, I drink while I'm cooking (I like cooking so I do it all) and during dinner. Whilst cooking is the area I am currently cutting down on. I don't hide anything from my wife in fact it was just last week I told her that it's crazy that I go cycling and jogging regularly to keep myself fit then undoing the good work by excessive drinking, which lead me to a further cut down. In fact I think I'll go for that 30 units starting now.

NL

Moves
26 Oct 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Northern Lad
It's difficult to see how alcohol can actually help people to play better, though I suppose it might make a timid player play more actively or aggressively. I have to say many of my worst blunders on RHP have been caused by playing (or attempting to play) under the influence. I now try my best to keep away from the computer when I've had a few!

A pro for a woman) is a completely arbitrary figure without any scientific or medical grounding.
Another example of alcohol-fuelled imbecility in my games has sadly come to light in Game 4135993. I'd only had a couple of drinks when I played my 9th move, but that didn't prevent one of my worst blunders ever on this site. Maybe I'd been lulled into a false sense of security by the realisation that my opponent's misguided queen manoeuvre (Qh4+ & Qxd4) had presented me with a completely won position in the opening. Instead of winning simply and prosaically with 9.Bxd7+ and 10.dxe6, I wanted more and came up with 9.Be3??

I'm at a loss to explain this blunder. I can only assume that even moderate amounts of alcohol can adversely affect one's powers of numeracy. I must have simply miscounted the pieces! Indeed I was earlier today just about to play the intended 11.Kf2 Qxb5 12.c4 when it suddenly struck me, for the first time, that I was a whole piece down for next to nothing. So I resigned instead. From now on total sobriety is the order of the day (at least while playing chess)!

j

Moves
08 Feb 08

Originally posted by tinus
I make my moves after work drinking a beer or a port, but never make a move when i have drunk more than two drinks. I allways use the notebook to note my brilliant ideas which i have after i have drunk to much.
The next day they, most of the time, they aren't brilliant anymore.
get help. You're a lush.

e8

Moves
08 Feb 08

Playing chess adversly affects my drinking.

KM

Moves
08 Feb 08

I have found I have a few drinks while I play rhp and listen to my Ipod. My play is to slow in blitz. but other than that I really seem to take more time and think about my game. Maybe its that I am drunk so I know for the next few hours all I am doing is chess and that helps me to take my time and really think about my moves.?? 🙂

d

Moves
08 Feb 08

Originally posted by stevetodd
Wow that list certainly seemed desparate, sorry things didn't work out for you and your ex. I actually don't tend to drink anything after dinner, I drink while I'm cooking (I like cooking so I do it all) and during dinner. Whilst cooking is the area I am currently cutting down on. I don't hide anything from my wife in fact it was just last week I told her ...[text shortened]... ich lead me to a further cut down. In fact I think I'll go for that 30 units starting now.
I suggest you to check out this link:
http://www.ebookee.com/Promoting-Self-Change-from-Addictive-Behaviors-Practical-Implications-for-Policy-Prevention-and-T_122142.html

I assure you, it's not one of those lame nlp books.

O

Moves
08 Feb 08

Since playing chess is a distracture for me, i like to socialize and drink some wine whilst playing during the weekends, sometimes it works out fine and 1 or 2 glasses will enlighten my brain ,as it did OTB. You drink more than than those 2 it will ruin your ability to play chess in a decent way.

Believe me ,i have had games i thought i was winning and the next day it turned out to be contrary. No regrets though.

p

Moves
09 Feb 08

Only once came home drunk. Went on RHP.
Forgot which game just went to my first game.
Immediately got excited tried to move my knight half way across the board to capture my opponents queen. Tried it a few times without luck. I remember being whizzed off about it, thinking it's broken and I went to sleep. Good thing no damage was done.