1. Standard memberabnoxio
    M.U.T.I
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 16:18
    How much does drinking while playing effect your games?
    One of the great things about playing at a chess club is that you can't drink a beer while playing. RHP however is a different story. I get a couple of beers in me and my games go to hell.
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 16:43
    Originally posted by abnoxio
    One of the great things about playing at a chess club is that you can't drink a beer while playing. RHP however is a different story. I get a couple of beers in me and my games go to hell.
    I don't know about your club but at ours I can drink as much beer as I like.

Even a single beer adversely affects my game and I am prone to more reckless ill conceived and incorrectly calculated sacrifices or simple tactical errors.
  3. Standard memberabnoxio
    M.U.T.I
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 16:45
    Wow, my chess club meets at the Jewish community center, it's a USCF affiliate.
  4. Standard memberabnoxio
    M.U.T.I
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 16:48
    I can relate, I LOVE making stupid sacrifices even after a couple of beers.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 16:50
    why would anyone wanna belong to a lousy club like that! 😲
  6. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 16:571 edit
    I find it improves my bravery and I play reckless moves that I would never normally think of trying in a real game, even sometimes winning the games, but losing more often then not
  7. The Hague
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 17:06
    There's a lot of things I can't do when I've had some beers, but playing chess actually goes quite OK... somehow gets me very focused at the game 😉 RHP as well as OTB
  8. Joined
    22 Dec '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 17:17
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I find it improves my bravery and I play reckless moves that I would never normally think of trying in a real game, even sometimes winning the games, but losing more often then not
    Yep, the same.
    I drink, but in this case, when I feel it really affects my intelligence, I don't make moves in the important games.

But I prefer to drink when I play and loose because of my stupidity to write posts on the Internet forums and attack the real people.
    Too much wine, no posts, no comments 🙂

Cheers
    GG
  9. nijmegen
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 17:28
    I make my moves after work drinking a beer or a port, but never make a move when i have drunk more than two drinks. I allways use the notebook to note my brilliant ideas which i have after i have drunk to much.
    The next day they, most of the time, they aren't brilliant anymore.
  10. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 17:29
    A lot. I played on Playchess a couple nights ago after 2 beers and took my blitz rating from 1700 down to 1500.
  11. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 17:40
    It effects me very badly, but although I am a borderline alcaholic (maybe that's harsh as I have cut down now to about 80 units a week and trying to get down to 50, but it aint easy). But I don't drink while playing otb chess, although try and stop me after the game and you might run into trouble 😵
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 17:47
    ... couple of beers ...
    couple of beers = couple of tears
  13. Earth
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 18:36
    It reduces calculative ability, it reduces risk assessment capability, it affects spatial awareness (negatively), creates overconfidence in ones ability, it has a proven negative impact on decision making, reduces reactions and lowers inhibitions, which in chess translates to caring less about the consequences of decisions.

Anyone who says it improves their game is most certainly drunk. They probably say it improves their driving too? 🙂
  14. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 18:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Oct '07 19:102 edits
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    It effects me very badly, but although I am a borderline alcaholic (maybe that's harsh as I have cut down now to about 80 units a week and trying to get down to 50, but it aint easy). But I don't drink while playing otb chess, although try and stop me after the game and you might run into trouble 😵
    What's a unit? I hope it isn't a case. 😛

Even if a unit is only a 12-ounce can, I'd have to say you're probably an alcoholic. I hope you kick it, good luck.

Edit - Oh, OK, I didn't know a unit is a British term (equal to about 80 percent of a 12 ounce can.) (I assumed about a 3.5 percent alcohol by volume. I'm not sure if that's what beer normally has here in the states, but I suspect I'm close.) So 80 units is about 64 cans a week, and 50 units is about 40 cans a week. (So getting it down to 50 units a week is almost a six-pack of beer a day here in the states.) That's still way too much drinking in my book. Keep working on reducing that if you can.

Edit 2 - Definition of unit is: One unit of alcohol is 10ml (1cl) by volume, or 8g by weight, of pure alcohol.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree