1. Joined
    04 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 12:58
    We all play for various reasons. Most of us play just because it's fun
    and we like chess. There's no money in it, there's no glory in it.
    Even if someone is the top player, no one really knows who they are.
    So what is the point in logging on and having an engine play for you?
    These guys are really sick.
  2. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 13:08
    Originally posted by davidgrayson
    At a guess
    1)Wanting people to think they are good
    2)Laziness
    3)Cheating so that your team wins something

I remember when the top player here was banned for cheating. A lot of people thought he was geniune and he had a good standing/status on the site. Maybe being number 1 made him feel better about himself?
  3. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 13:17
    there's no glory in it.

These guys are really sick
    Ah, but there is glory. Many 1200-1300's, but very few 2000's. If you can cheat your way into the stratosphere of rating at RHP, with just a little bit of forum exposure you can be famous if just to the limited extent it is possible here. Some just cheat to be perverse and laugh off any guilt they feel. Sick? Yes, agreed.

At another chess site they have "The Circle of Trust" (can't remember the exact wording). A group of players who pledge to play each game as if it was OTB. No help of ANY kind as you play online. Sure, study all you want, but when you are at the screen, it is just you against your opponent and not his engine, database, opening collection, collected games, etc. I like the idea since that is the way I play here at RHP (as some of my games plainly show. 😞 ).

This post in no way implies 2000 = cheating, but the fact that cheaters often reach a high rating.
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 13:17
    I know it's an amazing coincidence, but every single cheat here is actually an investigative reporter doing research for upcoming articles on cheating on internet chess servers. 😀
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 13:18
    some people don't find doing hard stuff the hard way that 'fun'. for them, it's more important how others view them, admire them for their skill (and what they perceive as 'intellect'😉. they get their kicks from being worshipped, admired, celebrated by others, not from chess or overcoming hard problems.

they'll cheat on chess, fps shooters, you name it. they'll cheat on the facebook games, tactics server, sports, exams, job applications, business. they'll claim they know & can do things they don't have the foggiest about. they'll hide their weaknesses and exaggerate their strengths.

anything to look better than the rest, to be admired. chess has nothing to do with it.
  6. Joined
    04 Sep '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 13:24
    Yes but on RHC most everyone is anonomous anyway, exect for a name! It's not like OTB where everyone knows who you are.
    How can you feel glorious if nobody even knows who you are?!
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 13:25
    Originally posted by wormwood
    some people don't find doing hard stuff the hard way that 'fun'. for them, it's more important how others view them, admire them for their skill (and what they perceive as 'intellect'😉. they get their kicks from being worshipped, admired, celebrated by others, not from chess or overcoming hard problems.

they'll cheat on chess, fps shooters, you na ...[text shortened]... nything to look better than the rest, to be admired. chess has nothing to do with it.
    Lee?
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 13:36
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Lee?
    ?
  9. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 13:40
    maybe it's the groupies.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 15:01
    Some cheat for 'leverage'. One recent cheat took a run at another user in the forums. "I'm an IM rated way past what you know about chess!"

Well, turns out all his story was a lie, and the other user pointed out all the lies quite easy. Still he stuck to his lie. Fortunately they were finally removed from the site when it was proven they were using an engine for their chess....

Yet still, users here cried foul based on the lies. They didn't want to see the truth. Some still feel the user who called him out is the foul hated one and the cheat was inocent.

It is really too bad that people can be so gullible, while others feed off their ignorance getting satisfaction out of living a lie.

I've said this a few times now, I have much more respect for the low rated users who lose almost every game but still play game after game for the love of the game.

P-
  11. USA
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 15:241 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Some cheat for 'leverage'. One recent cheat took a run at another user in the forums. "I'm an IM rated way past what you know about chess!"

Well, turns out all his story was a lie, and the other user pointed out all the lies quite easy. Still he stuck to his lie. Fortunately they were finally removed from the site when it was proven they were using who lose almost every game but still play game after game for the love of the game.

P-
    Yay, someone actually respects me. Oh wait, I don't play for the love of the game, I play just to get a kick out of seeing a bishop without going to a church...😛😉

But on a more serious note, I think I have also raised the question the OP asked; what's the point of cheating here. As many have suggested, it is probably some part of a larger psychological complex that causes people to cheat, because materially or otherwise, there is no motivation to cheat here. You get "anonymous respect" and win no money.
  12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 15:54
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

P-
    I don't know about you but I know lots of IMs and GMs for that matter and I have NEVER had any IM make a statement to me even remotely like that.

Anyone making such a statement would immediately ring alarm bells with me as NOT being an IM.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 16:03
    There are a lot of reasons. Insecurity, anger, a griefer style of humor, wanting to see what the computer does to study the game, etc.
  14. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 16:07
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I don't know about you but I know lots of IMs and GMs for that matter and I have NEVER had any IM make a statement to me even remotely like that.

Anyone making such a statement would immediately ring alarm bells with me as NOT being an IM.
    They would ring your bell-ellllll-elllll, ring your bell?
    My bell Ding dong, ring a ring a ring.
  15. Joined
    20 Mar '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 16:374 edits
    It's generation 'me, me, me' they want to be feared and respected as a dangerous Players like Alexi Shirov or Bobby Fischer but they don't want to do any of the hard work and what it really takes to deserve that respect they want instant results like NOW.

Using a program feeds their ego and delusion they are on the level of these Gms.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree