2. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 18:37
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    How can this be? I beat and drew with him

Game 2211536 and Game 2211551

and I cannot beat an engine.
    Maybe he wasn't using an engine then, or maybe he was a weaker one like GauravV. Maybe he only used them for tournaments, etc...
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 18:47
    Originally posted by Ramiri15
    Maybe he wasn't using an engine then, or maybe he was a weaker one like GauravV. Maybe he only used them for tournaments, etc...
    But I beat him in a tournament Tournament 1160 and he seemed such a nice guy I even had him in my buddy list.

He even voiced concerns to me about other possible cheats.

Is it possible he reached a peak then used an engine to climb higher. If so his real grade is 1800-2000 so this would shoot down my earlier post when I stated that I felt players of that level wouldn't cheat.

I didn't even suspect User 267768 who I lost to twice and also had in my buddy list.

Am I just naive or simply too trusting?
  4. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 18:49
    But I beat him in a tournament Tournament 1160 and he seemed such a nice guy I even had him in my buddy list.

Is it possible he reached a peak then used an engine to climb higher. If so his real grade is 1800-2000 so this would shoot down my earlier post when I stated that I felt players of ...[text shortened]... who I lost to twice and also had in my buddy list.

How the hell could you miss those two?
  5. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 21:351 edit

Is it possible he reached a peak then used an engine to climb higher. If so his real grade is 1800-2000 so this would shoot down my earlier post when I stated that I felt players of who I lost to twice and also had in my buddy list.

You know I think people around 1800-1900 might be most likely to cheat. At that level one is right around the cusp of being very good (in my opinion) and obviously cares enough about the game to have already studied a lot. So, if someone around there is frustrated with xys level of play or feels xe can't get over the hump and become an elite player, there probably is a greater temptation to cheat than at any other time.
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 11:59
    I dunno who ironman31 is as this was before my time, however I did encounter the phenomenon known as MaryAnn and her outlandish posts. I don't have time to go through ironman31 posting history but it should be pointed out that one's posts are not necessarily an indication of one's chess ability. MaryAnn was a 1200 trying to be a 2400 through computer use.

By the same token ironman31 could have been a 2400 wannabe through computer use but much much lower in OTB/without outside help. You would be surprised at how some of those with "high rankings" in CC perform OTB/places like PlayChess. That's why if you are ranked say 2000 here and are up to 500 points below on PlayChess/OTB then you need to put your house in order.
  7. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 04:061 edit
    What engine did IM31 use? I tried him against Fritz 10 (single process), and Deep Junior 10 (dual processor), and didnt get great results, alot of them were 2nd or 3rd choices, which suggests he used something else, I heard from someone it was Deep Junior, but Im sure it must have been an older version
  8. Joined
    02 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 05:46

Is it possible he reached a peak then used an engine to climb higher. If so his real grade is 1800-2000 so this would shoot down my earlier post when I stated that I felt players of ...[text shortened]... who I lost to twice and also had in my buddy list.

Can I be on your buddy list?
  9. Joined
    02 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 05:48
    You know I think people around 1800-1900 might be most likely to cheat. At that level one is right around the cusp of being very good (in my opinion) and obviously cares enough about the game to have already studied a lot. So, if someone around there is frustrated with xys level of play or feels xe can't get over the hump and become an elite player, there probably is a greater temptation to cheat than at any other time.
    I have to agree with you there. I hope I never reach that "hump" or just fly right past it! 😵
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 12:41
    Maybe (as in the case of Steve66) who I think was rated at about that level but the point is they then rise above that rating (ie to 2200-2300+)
  11. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 13:15
    That is a groundless assumption as anyone can cheat. The difference with this site and the likes of PlayChess is that at PlayChess cheats are caught at the roots, whilst here it is after they climb up the ladders, leaving a long cheat trail.

In fact at PlayChess most of those caught cheating are usually below 1500.
  12. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 01:22
    Originally posted by z00t
    I dunno who [b]ironman31 is as this was before my time, however I did encounter the phenomenon known as MaryAnn and her outlandish posts. I don't have time to go through ironman31 posting history but it should be pointed out that one's posts are not necessarily an indication of one's chess ability. MaryAnn was a 1200 trying to be a 2400 ...[text shortened]... and are up to 500 points below on PlayChess/OTB then you need to put your house in order.[/b]
    somebody said that ironman31 is currently cyrano, the number 1 player in gameknot.com ... its that true ?
  13. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 01:47
    Originally posted by zintieriv
    somebody said that ironman31 is currently cyrano, the number 1 player in gameknot.com ... its that true ?
    Yes it is.
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 02:28
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Yes it is.
    and how do you know that ? he made a public statement ?
  15. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 03:04
    Originally posted by zintieriv
    and how do you know that ? he made a public statement ?
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=8968&page=1

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree