Is this allowed in a tournament?

Is this allowed in a tournament?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

USA

Moves
18 Sep 06
1 edit

Yesterday, I played in small chess tournament.

It was a 4 round tournament. I had beaten my 3rd round opponent, when suddenly some guy withdrew. So the TD told me I'd have to play my 3rd round opponent again. I pointed out that there was one more player that my 3rd round opponent hadn't played, but the TD said that because that was his sister, he had to play me again. (Ironically I lost to him the 2nd time I played)

Is this allowed according to USCF rules? I looked online and couldn't find much concerning this issue. Do I have good reason to write to the USCF and complain?

Moves
18 Sep 06

Originally posted by chesskid001

It was a 4 round tournament. I had beaten my 3rd round opponent, when suddenly some guy withdrew. So the TD told me I'd have to play my 3rd round opponent again. I pointed out that there was one more player that my 3rd round opponent hadn't played, but the TD said that because that was his sister, he had ...[text shortened]... n't find much concerning this issue. Do I have good reason to write to the USCF and complain?
I think you would normally get a bye if someone you were paired against withdrew.

c

Moves
18 Sep 06

It was a 4 round tournament. I had beaten my 3rd round opponent, when suddenly some guy withdrew. So the TD told me I'd have to play my 3rd round opponent again. I pointed out that there was one more player that my 3rd round opponent hadn't played, but the TD said that because that was his sister, he had ...[text shortened]... n't find much concerning this issue. Do I have good reason to write to the USCF and complain?
Why bother? You're rated in the 1200's aren't you? It's not like it has a major significance. Although you may have a reason if you're that bothered by it. I'm pretty sure the game should have been nulled or given to you though. So yeah, you may have a case.

c

USA

Moves
18 Sep 06

The guy withdrew after he finished his 3rd round, but before I finished mine. He withdrew before I was paired. There was one other person I could've been paired with, but he got a bye and I was stuck playing my 3rd round opponent again.

c

USA

Moves
18 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Why bother? You're rated in the 1200's aren't you? It's not like it has a major significance. Although you may have a reason if you're that bothered by it. I'm pretty sure the game should have been nulled or given to you though. So yeah, you may have a case.
It would've made about a 20-40 point difference to my rating.

c

Moves
18 Sep 06
1 edit

It would've made about a 20-40 point difference to my rating.
You shouldn't have lost.

It depends, if you're rating matters that much then go ahead, otherwise don't.

BTW: This is a question for the USCF.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
18 Sep 06

In order to give you a clear answer I would need more information.

Was this a Swiss event? How many players entered?

It is not desirable for players to be paired more than once, but can happen in small events.

USCF Rule 27A1 states the priority of two players not meeting twice in Swiss events, and when exceptions might be made. Avoiding the pairing of siblings does not appear sufficient grounds for suspending this basic pairing rule.

c

USA

Moves
18 Sep 06

Originally posted by Wulebgr
In order to give you a clear answer I would need more information.

Was this a Swiss event? How many players entered?

It is not desirable for players to be paired more than once, but can happen in small events.

USCF Rule 27A1 states the priority of two players not meeting twice in Swiss events, and when exceptions might be made. Avoiding the pairing of siblings does not appear sufficient grounds for suspending this basic pairing rule.
It was a swiss event. There were only a 5 players but there were but one of the players my opponent hadn't played(that person being his sister). Thanks for the rule, that may be helpful when if I need to contact the USCF.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
18 Sep 06

It was a swiss event. There were only a 5 players but there were but one of the players my opponent hadn't played(that person being his sister). Thanks for the rule, that may be helpful when if I need to contact the USCF.
If you plan to continue playing in USCF tournaments, you will do well to buy or check out from a library the U.S. Chess Federation's Official Rules of Chess, 5th edition and become familiar with it. Rules issues will come up again, and knowing them can be beneficial in numerous ways.

c

USA

Moves
18 Sep 06

Thanks for the advice; before I thought it was a waste of money- I had never had any concerns with the rules in the past... now I think I might buy it.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
19 Sep 06

Unless you somehow lost out, eg on a prize, I don't think it is worth a complaint.

The people organising these events are volunteers and are hard enough to get anyway.

If you want to complain do it in a friendly way to the organisers. Sometimes FIDE rules (and USCF rules I presume) are over ridden by rules of the event (although this would generally be stated clearly on the entry form). Don't involve USCF in this as it seems a trivial local issue and the arbiter was just doing his best to keep everyone happy. You should probably have got a bye and a point. What difference would that have made for you?

Moves
19 Sep 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Unless you somehow lost out, eg on a prize, I don't think it is worth a complaint.

The people organising these events are volunteers and are hard enough to get anyway.

If you want to complain do it in a friendly way to the organisers. Sometimes FIDE rules (and USCF rules I presume) are over ridden by rules of the event (although this would generall ...[text shortened]... You should probably have got a bye and a point. What difference would that have made for you?
What DF is saying, is.

This is an excellent opportunity for you to learn about diplomacy.

People sometimes make mistakes even with the best of intentions. It is good to stand up for yourself and know your rights/the rules. But it might be best to save making a stink of the situation for sometime in the future when you really get screwed.

z

Moves
19 Sep 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire

If you want to complain do it in a friendly way to the organisers. Sometimes FIDE rules (and USCF rules I presume) are over ridden by rules of the event (although this would generall ...[text shortened]... You should probably have got a bye and a point. What difference would that have made for you?
Continuing along these lines, to be a TD you actually pay the USCF every year (it's an extra registration on top of your standard one). TDs also do not receive any pay (or should not) from those local events that they run. Complaining may just cost you the chance to enter local tournaments in the future.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
19 Sep 06
1 edit

Originally posted by zebano
TDs also do not receive any pay (or should not) from those local events that they run.
Of course they do. They take a cut of the entry fees. Why do you think only a portion of the entry fees are paid out as prizes? Why else would TDs pay the USCF to be TDs?

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
19 Sep 06

The guy withdrew after he finished his 3rd round, but before I finished mine. He withdrew before I was paired. There was one other person I could've been paired with, but he got a bye and I was stuck playing my 3rd round opponent again.
Technically, you could have complained at that point and you'd probably have got a bye. However, if you'd already beaten your 3rd round opponent, then you could consider a rematch as an advantage to you, as you'd be expected to beat them again. Let's face it, if you'd won the rematch you wouldn't be posting this at all... 😉