1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 11:28
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Watch this game as it unfold 1. g4 against an 1800+ player

Game 2283854
    he probably won't play as he's taking a long break from chess. but I hope the urge to show why 1.g4 won't work is enough to lure him back. 🙂
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 11:57
    Originally posted by wormwood
    he probably won't play as he's taking a long break from chess. but I hope the urge to show why 1.g4 won't work is enough to lure him back. 🙂
    Taking a break is an excuse and an acknowledgement that he is wrong and 1.g4 really is a great move.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 12:03
    Taking a break is an excuse and an acknowledgement that he is wrong and 1.g4 really is a great move.
    he stopped playing before you even joined RHP.
  4. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 16:15
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    Do you use opening databases? (I do as well as most players on the site...I know there will be a load of replies now saying 'I don't' but trust me most do on this site) if you do not, I really think there's at least 150 points just in that alone (certainly at the beginning...fortunately as you keep using them you start to remember certain preferred responses, which is good as otb chess is my main proirity (not cc))
    what is an openening database? Is it legal? How do you do it? Is it just some tried and true openings to follow? Where does one get it? sorry so many questions
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 16:29
    In corr. games 1.g4 Fails because it is unsound, and duboius.

with reasearch, all those trappy lines can be refuted leaving black with an edge, as i mentioned earlier.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 17:35
    Here is the initial evidence of h4!

Game 2282017 swifty followed by that other bad move g4. Note the way the pawns storm forward down the g and h ranks eventually assisting with delivering mate.

Alternatively Game 2282032 where g4 is delayed to move 6. Again a pawn storm assists a break through and helps the Q deliver mate on the 7th ra ...[text shortened]...

h4 P3 W3 D0 L0 , 2 in progress.
    g4 P1 W1 D0 L0, 9 in progress.

Pretty conclusive so far!
    This might sound personal but it's not just business.

What the point of posting games against people 700 points lower and then saying O I played great or something similar. Nothing to be proud off.

This reminds me of Shaker and others posting games where he gave lower rated players beatings.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 17:36
    Watch this game as it unfold 1. g4 against an 1800+ player

Game 2283854
    ???

I get http://www.redhotpawn.com/index.php? when I click on that link.
  8. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 17:39
    Originally posted by RahimK
    ???

I get http://www.redhotpawn.com/index.php? when I click on that link.
    You deleted the game so now I will never prove that g4 is a really great opening!
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 17:45
    Chess is a game of war but a peaceful war where no human lives are at stake. Susan Polgar is a mild mannered person and she always likes peaceful resolutions when conflicts arise. Therefore, when she was asked by Mikhail Korenman to take part in this Chess for Peace initiative with Anatoly Karpov and former President Mikhail Gorbachev, she jumped at this opportunity.

President Gorbachev arrived at 4 p.m. and they were ready to start. Anatoly had white in the first game. Therefore, President Gorbachev would make the first move for Anatoly. As he arrived at the board, he told the audience that this is a wonderful match between two great champions. “I am going to cause some difficulties for the older player”, he said, then proceeded to play 1.g4 without asking Anatoly. Both Anatoly and Susan looked up at President Gorbachev in shock. Anatoly thought that the President was joking as Anatoly mentioned that he would like to make another first move. But the President was firm in saying there is no take back in chess. Then the players started their first game.

They were both shocked. For beginners it's a horrible move. Once you know what you are doing, do what you want. I say it's a bad move though.

Not played very much either. Yes I see white wins a lot but you have to take the number of games, players into account also:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/explorer
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 17:46
    You deleted the game so now I will never prove that g4 is a really great opening!
    I didn't realize that link was for our game.
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 17:48
    Originally posted by impatient
    what is an openening database? Is it legal? How do you do it? Is it just some tried and true openings to follow? Where does one get it? sorry so many questions
    I'll get back to you. Gotta go work again. Check page 2 of this thread for the database links.

Rahim K
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 21:25
    Originally posted by impatient
    Opening database is a list of the first several moves played in thousands of games. Here is a sample one:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/explorer

It's free but only goes X moves deep. In CC chess it is legal. This is basically theory for the opening. You should follow these lines since they have been played by masters. When choosing a move from the list keep in mind # of games played with this move and score for white and black.

I think I posted another link on page 2 of this thread for opening databases.

Hope that helped

Rahim K
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 21:281 edit
    From his PM to me, I quote:

PS I actually think g4 and h4 are really crap moves.
    In fact they are so crap and I am moving so fast that I am managing to loss against a 1400 rated player. Oh dear, why did I set them to rated games?

Gotcha 😛

Btw, this is what I call hope chess and I covered that on page 2 I believe. Students take note 🙂
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 23:42
    Originally posted by RahimK
    From his PM to me, I quote:

PS I actually think g4 and h4 are really crap moves.
    In fact they are so crap and I am moving so fast that I am managing to loss against a 1400 rated player. Oh dear, why did I set them to rated games?

Gotcha 😛

Btw, this is what I call hope chess and I covered that on page 2 I believe. Students take note 🙂
    Its not hope if you win them! Besides I don't hope to win, I expect to win with superior strategy and tactics.

And the 1400 only got a draw in the end and we all have drawn occasionally with such a player after e4 or d4 so I am still proving its perfectly playable.

I am wondering is it possible to play h4 - g4 - f4 in the first few moves?

Anyone want to prove the merit of that!
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 13:41
    Its not hope if you win them! Besides I don't hope to win, I expect to win with superior strategy and tactics.

And the 1400 only got a draw in the end and we all have drawn occasionally with such a player after e4 or d4 so I am still proving its perfectly playable.

I am wondering is it possible to play h4 - g4 - f4 in the first few moves?

Anyone want to prove the merit of that!
    I hear ponomariov has played 1.a3 2.b3 3.c3 4.d3 etc. and won titled players at ICC with it. it still doesn't make the opening any less bad, and against his peers he would've lost every single one of those.

if you win inferior players by superior tactics & strategy, it doesn't make 1.g4 or 1.h4 any less bad. with 400 pts difference you should be almost ok even if you started the game with one minor piece less. I believe the average advantage of giving a piece odds was around 500 rating points?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree