1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 21:47
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Its not hope if you win them! Besides I don't hope to win, I expect to win with superior strategy and tactics.

And the 1400 only got a draw in the end and we all have drawn occasionally with such a player after e4 or d4 so I am still proving its perfectly playable.

I am wondering is it possible to play h4 - g4 - f4 in the first few moves?

Anyone want to prove the merit of that!
    After I stopped playing hope chess and started playing serious on here I don't remember drawing a game against someone 300+ point lower then me. I only lost 1 game to a person in 1 year since I started playing seriously on here and he was 200+ points above me and I was trying out a new caro kann system.

I only play 1/7 games and against people close or better than my rating. What's the point in playing someone 200+ points lower then you?
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    20 Jul '06 23:37
    Originally posted by RahimK
    After I stopped playing hope chess and started playing serious on here I don't remember drawing a game against someone 300+ point lower then me. I only lost 1 game to a person in 1 year since I started playing seriously on here and he was 200+ points above me and I was trying out a new caro kann system.

I only play 1/7 games and against people close or better than my rating. What's the point in playing someone 200+ points lower then you?
    I occasionally play lower rated players and offer help and advice during the game with the objective in helping them improve.

Most lower rated players find such pointers helpful!
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 00:33
    Offering advice during a match isn't always the best idea.

I once played a 1900 (i'm 1700) on FICS, in the first game i played a bad opening, he pointed out the "imporvements", what i should of played and so on...

20 moves in I resign - and he offers a rematch.

the game proceeded and he, like in the first game started pointing out the flaws (most of which strategical) in my game he had me beat, even though there was no mate threat and material being equal....but at some point he overlooked something, giving me a strong knight outpost, which eventally allowed me to squeeze a win when the files became open.

Now this guy has just had a huge hit to his ego, and imediatly issued a rematch, i accepted.

the only real difference in this game was his comments, this time there were spiteful and isulting, rather than helpful, but nonetheless he went on to win and decided to censor me afterwards.

offering helpful 'pointers' during the game can be anoying to hear and sometimes make you look like a fool [if your wrong]. I think the comments [of that nature] should be kept to the post-game analysis.
  4. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    21 Jul '06 01:29
    I think it's a good idea. That of a high rated player playing one game against a low rated player. They could both discuss ideas after the game, as during the game will cause difficulties. Even tho i'm rated 1900 here, i can see a 1400 rated player beating me if i make a slip and he keeps up the pressure. It happens. One of the strategies of playing lower rated players is to play aggresively, complicate the position, keep pieces on the board and look for an error. A lower rated player who plays passively is doomed, as the better players can smell timid blood a mile away.
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 16:27
    I occasionally play lower rated players and offer help and advice during the game with the objective in helping them improve.

Most lower rated players find such pointers helpful!
    Playing crappy opening instills bad habits in your opponent who you are "trying" to help, if that is what you are really doing.

I don't think so.

What does that teach your opponent who is just starting out?

To open games with h4, g4, Kf2 etc?
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 16:31
    Originally posted by buddy2
    I think it's a good idea. That of a high rated player playing one game against a low rated player. They could both discuss ideas after the game, as during the game will cause difficulties. Even tho i'm rated 1900 here, i can see a 1400 rated player beating me if i make a slip and he keeps up the pressure. It happens. One of the strategies of playing lowe ...[text shortened]... player who plays passively is doomed, as the better players can smell timid blood a mile away.
    I think it's a good idea also but it depends on what you want to get out of rhp.

I'm here to improve my OTB. So I test out new openings and play against player high rated then me. What's the point of playing lower rated players on here?

In OTB you dont' have a choice in the swiss tournament but on here you do.

Sure you win lots of games and make yourself feel good but does that really help your chess?
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 16:431 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Playing crappy opening instills bad habits in your opponent who you are "trying" to help, if that is what you are really doing.

I don't think so.

What does that teach your opponent who is just starting out?

To open games with h4, g4, Kf2 etc?
    Yes but I do make the point of telling them it is not the best of ideas to play h4. g4 is played by Michael Basman (or g5 as black) and he has obtained some GM scalps with it so it can't be all bad.

My chess doesn't improve when I play a 1200 rated player but not every game is about improving, some are just about fooling around and having a bit of fun!

In more serious games I try out my openings in depth!

I don't recollect ever suggesting kf2 - it has no strategic merit what so ever.

Your rating is close enough to mine and I haven't started improving yet.
  8. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 17:24
    So you think 1.a4 has strategic value, that outweighs the development issues?
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 17:36
    Originally posted by Xpofer
    a4 provides key support for a B or N or b5!

A N on B5 can be very dangerous!
  10. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 17:461 edit
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 21:38

Your rating is close enough to mine and I haven't started improving yet.
    Explain further please.
  12. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 22:55

I am wondering is it possible to play h4 - g4 - f4 in the first few moves?

I definitly think so, if your opponents position allows.

I don't think these moves are so great at first because it brings them to your oponents attention and if your oponent is wise they will assume that you are planning to further advance the pawn or else use it as an outpost and will play against it.
  13. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 23:30
    Originally posted by Xpofer
    Oh dear I played a4 against Xpofer and whilst I must admit it is the first time I have ever played this opening I confess it will also be the last. a4 was dreadful - it has no strategic value at all and should never be played unlike h4 and g4 which have, of course, been proven to be playable.

Obviously I lost, badly! So bad in fact that the game has been consigned to the depths of hell where it belongs!
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 02:251 edit
    Oh dear I played a4 against Xpofer and whilst I must admit it is the first time I have ever played this opening I confess it will also be the last. a4 was dreadful - it has no strategic value at all and should never be played unlike h4 and g4 which have, of course, been proven to be playable.

Obviously I lost, badly! So bad in fact that the game has been consigned to the depths of hell where it belongs!
    Game 2302000

What a lovely gambit by black, usually it only gets a small inititive, but because of 1.a4 Black gets an extra move.....

hahaha, He crushed you.
  15. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 02:30

Your mistake was on move 2..... 1.a4!? e5 2.a5!? would have kept you in the game longer 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree