1. Along the River
    Moves
    25 Aug '06 02:27
    Originally posted by RahimK
    They are a bit harder. I would say from 1300-1800. on Page 2 of this thread I gave a link to simpler ones. Try those first.

As for solutions. No. I am doing those puzzles also so what I do is open them up in a chess program like fritz, solve them in my head and then let the computer solve them and compare the two solutions.
    Thanx. I have solved most of those simpler ones already.
    I tried the same method what you mentioned, I figure out some solution but when playing with Fritz it make different moves, avoiding my solution.
    I searched the net and found references to these puzzles in other forums. It looks that it has caused some headache to many beginner.
  2. Bristol
    Moves
    25 Aug '06 10:06
    my tip on maintaining the 1400 rating would be

DON'T GO ON HOLIDAY
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    25 Aug '06 16:20
    Originally posted by Antalk
    Thanx. I have solved most of those simpler ones already.
    I tried the same method what you mentioned, I figure out some solution but when playing with Fritz it make different moves, avoiding my solution.
    I searched the net and found references to these puzzles in other forums. It looks that it has caused some headache to many beginner.
    you should know then some of those puzzles are wrong. I did 20 so far and found 4 wrong ones so 1/5 is wrong to me.
  4. Along the River
    Moves
    25 Aug '06 16:50
    you should know then some of those puzzles are wrong. I did 20 so far and found 4 wrong ones so 1/5 is wrong to me.
    It's really reassuring to know. I think first I'll read the "How to reasses your chess". I've just bought it today in a second hand bookstore.
    It is like new, very good deal. It has a funny note inside, indicating that someone must had got it for birthday from a girlfriend and probably they broke up soon. Why else anyone would sell such a good gift?
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    25 Aug '06 21:06
    Originally posted by Antalk
    It's really reassuring to know. I think first I'll read the "How to reasses your chess". I've just bought it today in a second hand bookstore.
    It is like new, very good deal. It has a funny note inside, indicating that someone must had got it for birthday from a girlfriend and probably they broke up soon. Why else anyone would sell such a good gift?
    Nopes Nopes!

Do at least 5 problems a day and then read your book. I do this and it only takes maximum 25 mintures will all the compture analysing and saving etc...

25 min is nothing. Then you can read your book.
  6. Manchester, UK
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 22:52
    I'D LOVE TO GET TO 1400 - THIS THREAD DOESN'T SEEM TO OFFER ANYTING OTHER THAN THE QUESTION - IS THERE AN OUTCOME HERE? IS ANYONE OFFERING TUTORIALS FOR EXAMPLE?

WHAT IS AN OPENING DAT BASE AND HOW DO YOU USE IT?!
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 23:02
    Originally posted by The Ordinary Player
    I'D LOVE TO GET TO 1400 - THIS THREAD DOESN'T SEEM TO OFFER ANYTING OTHER THAN THE QUESTION - IS THERE AN OUTCOME HERE? IS ANYONE OFFERING TUTORIALS FOR EXAMPLE?

WHAT IS AN OPENING DAT BASE AND HOW DO YOU USE IT?!
    Page 2 half way down. I post my advice and links to websites databases, how to use them etc... Follow that.
  8. Joined
    15 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '06 21:42
    Question for you Rahim, or anyone
    what does all the infomation on an opening database mean? The percentage figure is kinda obvious. But what about the 2 diff ratings and the year etc?
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    29 Aug '06 23:40
    Originally posted by lafredo
    Question for you Rahim, or anyone
    what does all the infomation on an opening database mean? The percentage figure is kinda obvious. But what about the 2 diff ratings and the year etc?
    http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/opening-database-info.html

Don't feel like typing everything out.
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 23:51
    bump for me

i've never read it before
  11. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '06 12:57
    bump
  12. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 11:40
    Hey There RahimK. Following you advice and some of the links I have reached 1400 now i have to maintain it.

Thanks for the help.
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    07 Oct '06 16:51
    Originally posted by Khan
    Hey There RahimK. Following you advice and some of the links I have reached 1400 now i have to maintain it.

Thanks for the help.
    Great job. Check out the other thread, getting to 1600. It's in the chess forum a couple pages back.
  14. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Oct '06 00:30
    Self-Auto BUMP.
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 04:28
    Self-Auto BUMP.
    Self Bump.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree