1. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 21:22
    I have used the scandanaviana lot recently against E4 with mixed results.
    I am looking at another openning i was thinking the french defence what do people think?
    Or could you suggest another good reply"
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 21:27

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 21:27
    Originally posted by mipmcpt
    I have used the scandanaviana lot recently against E4 with mixed results.
    I am looking at another openning i was thinking the french defence what do people think?
    Or could you suggest another good reply"
    well there are many good openings, i assume if you play the scandanavian you are playing 3...Qa5 and not 3...Qd8, a5 is the best, try different openings, spanish game, french, alekhine, sicilian, and petroff, are very reasonable, so just look them up and play them
  4. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 22:09
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    well there are many good openings, i assume if you play the scandanavian you are playing 3...Qa5 and not 3...Qd8, a5 is the best, try different openings, spanish game, french, alekhine, sicilian, and petroff, are very reasonable, so just look them up and play them
    Iv been unhappy with my responces to 1.e4 recently and looked at the Scandinavian...im told the most aggressive move is 3..Qd6, although Qa5 seems to be a lot more common.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 22:111 edit
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Iv been unhappy with my responces to 1.e4 recently and looked at the Scandinavian...im told the most aggressive move is 3..Qd6, although Qa5 seems to be a lot more common.
    I've used Qd6 quite often in bullet - seems solid.

But the Dragon is far better overall. 😀
  6. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 22:16
    I did use to play the dragon, but decided whites yugoslav attack was too easy for white to learn and too thermatic for them to play OTB. That could just be my lack of theoretical understanding 🙂

Most Sicilian lines hold painful memories for me not least of which is the Sveshnikov 😉
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 22:17
    how do you post games? i could post my better scandinavian games since its the defense i chose.
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 22:18
    I did use to play the dragon, but decided whites yugoslav attack was too easy for white to learn and too thermatic for them to play OTB. That could just be my lack of theoretical understanding 🙂

Most Sicilian lines hold painful memories for me not least of which is the Sveshnikov 😉
    The Svesh requires a special type of person to play it as far as I'm concerned - and the positions aren't like anything you'll see with any other opening.

I feel so much more confident with the Dragon than I think white can. Play The Sicilian Dragon is the book to have if you play it. I don't know most lines yet, but when I've gone through the book I think I'll be extremely confident in my ability to play it.
  9. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 22:22
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    The Svesh requires a special type of person to play it as far as I'm concerned - and the positions aren't like anything you'll see with any other opening.

I feel so much more confident with the Dragon than I think white can. Play The Sicilian Dragon is the book to have if you play it. I don't know most lines yet, but when I've gone through the book I think I'll be extremely confident in my ability to play it.
    I played the Sveshnikov totally for 3 months and at the end my results were almost just as bad as when I started (ie awful)....dispite learning it from databases/games, getting a chessbase training cd database and watching several flash movies on the opening.

I might stick with it but not playing it OTB till I feel I can do well in most games which I just dont at the moment.

Id like a responce to 1.e4 that has something like a Benko or KG feel to it.....still searching 🙂
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 22:26
    I played the Sveshnikov totally for 3 months and at the end my results were almost just as bad as when I started (ie awful)....dispite learning it from databases/games, getting a chessbase training cd database and watching several flash movies on the opening.

I might stick with it but not playing it OTB till I feel I can do well in most games which I jus ...[text shortened]... like a responce to 1.e4 that has something like a Benko or KG feel to it.....still searching 🙂
    Ha, good luck with that! I chose the Dragon...not very similar to the KG or Benko, but it's awesome. 🙂
  11. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 22:27
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    how do you post games? i could post my better scandinavian games since its the defense i chose.
    [ gid ] [ /gid ] with the game number in between and no spaces.
  12. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 22:29
    Ha, good luck with that! I chose the Dragon...not very similar to the KG or Benko, but it's awesome. 🙂
    True, really need to gambit a pawn against 1.e4.....Latvian Gambit springs to mind........but maybe a little too unsound.
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 22:30

I might stick with it but not playing it OTB till I feel I can do well in most games which I jus ...[text shortened]... like a responce to 1.e4 that has something like a Benko or KG feel to it.....still searching 🙂
    I was just looking through your games and chose this one...irony! 🙂

Game 2645640
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 22:31
    True, really need to gambit a pawn against 1.e4.....Latvian Gambit springs to mind........but maybe a little too unsound.
    How about you play the Alekhine Defense? 🙂

Or the black side of a Ruy Lopez with a Two Knights Defense.
  15. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 22:33
    How about you play the Alekhine Defense? 🙂

Or the black side of a Ruy Lopez with a Two Knights Defense.
    Id play the black side of a ruy if it was forced....but so many repiles after 1.e4 e5

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree