PAWN RIOT VS The Forum Move 18

PAWN RIOT VS The Forum Move 18

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Moves
02 Dec 08

Originally posted by streetfighter
This was the line that I alluded to in my original post. I couldn't find anything good for black after 23...Bxd4 24.Qxd4 Qxf3 Rdd1! (Not the most obvious move, but if he gets this far he'll find it I'm sure. It's the only move I think?!)

Instead of 23...Bxd4, there is the option of [b] 23...Bf5
when it's not entirely clear how white disentangle ...[text shortened]... ut perhaps we should stick to 18...h5 since there is no direct refutation that I can see?[/b]
also consider 23...Be5 i think...(this is from memory, i hope thats the move i had looked at earlier)

s

Moves
02 Dec 08

Originally posted by ResigningSoon
also consider 23...Be5 i think...(this is from memory, i hope thats the move i had looked at earlier)
Problem with 23...Be5 here is 24.Ne2 I think. If we win the exchange back, it has to be in a postion where the white pawns on d5 and especially c4 can't quickly be mobilised.

Patzer

Canberra

Moves
03 Dec 08

Originally posted by streetfighter
This was the line that I alluded to in my original post. I couldn't find anything good for black after 23...Bxd4 24.Qxd4 Qxf3 Rdd1! (Not the most obvious move, but if he gets this far he'll find it I'm sure. It's the only move I think?!)

Instead of 23...Bxd4, there is the option of [b] 23...Bf5
when it's not entirely clear how white disentangle ...[text shortened]... rect refutation that I can see?

ptobler, I'll have a look at those games - thanks : )[/b]
You don't like Tony's idea of getting the rook on the open b file this move, with ...Rb8+, and only then, next move, playing ...h5?

s

Moves
03 Dec 08

Originally posted by ptobler
You don't like Tony's idea of getting the rook on the open b file this move, with ...Rb8+, and only then, next move, playing ...h5?
I don't mind it at all! Does it make any difference which order we play the moves? I would usually play the moves we 'have' to play first, before the moves we 'want' to play, but I don't see it making much odds here?! Maybe it would be better knowing where white will put his king?

R

Moves
03 Dec 08

Has the discussion died down yet? Is it time to vote?

I fond of the d5 idea; I will definitely try it OTB sometime, but I think I will vote for h5. I don't think anyone cared for my Ba4 line.

Moves
03 Dec 08

It will never die down! 🙂

In the 18...d5 line
18.h4 d5!? 19.g5 Rb8+ 20.Kc1 Nh5 21. exd5 Nf4

What if white plays 20.Ka1 instead allowing 22.Qd2 or even exchanging off rooks?

I'm probably missing something blindingly obvious as per usual.

As for my vote, I've settled on 18...h5, looks to give us a chance still.

Patzer

Canberra

Moves
04 Dec 08

Originally posted by ResigningSoon
Candidate moves: 18...h5, 18...a5, 18...Rb8+, 18...Rc8, 18...Ba4, 18...Nxe4, 18...Nxg4

lines for each:
18...h5 19.g5 Nh7 20.Kc1 Rc8 (not forced, but i'm trying to settle for something)
18...h5 19. gxh5 Nxh5 followed by 20...Rc8 or Rb8

18...a5 the point of this move is to hit the b4 square as in 19.h5 Rb8+ 20.Ka1 Rb4

18...Rb8+ 19.Ka1 h5 20.g4 ...[text shortened]... ossibility of a knight on h7

Ba4 and we have great pieces...but a worse king position
After my first glance through your ...Ba4 line it seems ok - but of course it needs to be 19...Nd7 as 19...Ne7 is not possible - as you noted and fixed up in a later post

t

Moves
04 Dec 08

What about Nxe4?

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
04 Dec 08

Originally posted by thadeusman
What about Nxe4?
Pretty terrible. You're already down an exchange and a pawn. I can almost guarantee that it doesn't work. Not to be a downer. 😀

p

Moves
04 Dec 08

What's the group consensus here?

h5 , d5 , or something else ???

rc

Moves
04 Dec 08
2 edits

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
What's the group consensus here?

h5 , d5 , or something else ???
quit stalling mr buchman and make with the readies and play ...h5 😀

p.s Ive ordered the most instructive games ever, i could have got a copy for £0.01 from amazon but wanted a new one - thanks regards Robbie.

Patzer

Canberra

Moves
05 Dec 08

Votes for ...h5 hugely outnumber those for anything else

c

USA

Moves
05 Dec 08

I vote for ...h5. Of all the variations presented, the ...h5 ones seem to make the most sense.

e4

Moves
05 Dec 08

Hi Robbie,

Glad to see you are buying a good book at last.

62 brilliant pieces of music with Chernev as the producer.
(and not one a London System) 😛

First thing to do when you get it is play over game 19 See Saw Check...

A classic - don't anybody post it. It's just a game without Chernev's notes.

PS:
Think it's unfair you having Street Fighter onboard (I'm rooting for Pawn Riot).
SF is an expert on the Dragon.

Think I'll raise a 'fair play' ticket and get the whole lot of you banned.

rc

Moves
05 Dec 08

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Hi Robbie,

Glad to see you are buying a good book at last.

62 brilliant pieces of music with Chernev as the producer.
(and not one a London System) 😛

First thing to do when you get it is play over game 19 [b]See Saw Check...

A classic - don't anybody post it. It's just a game without Chernev's notes.

PS:
Think it's unfair you havi ...[text shortened]... he Dragon.

Think I'll raise a 'fair play' ticket and get the whole lot of you banned.[/b]
i tried to buy a certain rampant chess but the site was unavailable or some problem, i will try again and see what happens. you know pawn dude, even when we play 1.e4 there are certain variations that just end up very similar to queen pawn opening, like the panov variation against the Caro Khan which can end up resembling a queens gambit type of situation, or the center counter defense which after pawns exchange and nc3 + d4 resembles a queens pawn type of game, therefore i put it too you sternly, does not knowing a system like the London help us in these type of situation even though we prefer the liveliness of our cherished king pawn to e4 variations? sorry for the interlude.