PAWN RIOT VS The Forum Move 18

PAWN RIOT VS The Forum Move 18

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patzer

Canberra

Moves
06 Dec 08

As you can see from this thread, SF now favours ...h5 over ...d5

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
06 Dec 08

Originally posted by ptobler
As you can see from this thread, SF now favours ...h5 over ...d5
So let's follow them Highlanders SF and robbie (a'lonn wi ptobler and TONY) big time with bagpipes and Glenlivet et al, for we hav to be proudanhappy around Jan. 25 havin bagged that crafty PAWN RIOT fir ald lang syn

😵

p

Moves
06 Dec 08

I will go with h5 before the day is over if no one minds.

m

Moves
06 Dec 08

Well - i think most of the h5 votes came from before the talk of d5. Couldnt the consensus actually be d5 now?

im still torn, i dont think we know enough yet about d5 to vote.

d

Moves
06 Dec 08

^ each person should vote for what they think is the best move.

Thus if people voted for h5 before d5 was mentioned, and now want d5, tough.

p

Moves
06 Dec 08

I haven't added up votes or anything.
The discussion seems to have come to a halt.
In the end, d5 was considered playable but perhaps best with a ticking clock.
The discussion seemed to lean toward h5.
I just wanted to know if everyone or the majority is for h5 NOW.

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
06 Dec 08

I still feel somewhat hesitant about ...d5 immediately, I vote ...h5.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
06 Dec 08

I vote for h5 if anybody cares or doesn't cares.

s

Moves
06 Dec 08

I vote for ...h5 (although I've been looking some more at ...d5 and have more faith in it as a decent move in it's own right than i did previously!)

Anyway, it'd be nice to know what PAWNRIOT has in mind after ...h5 since theory hasn't really shown up serious problems with it?!

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
06 Dec 08

I dont know whether d5 really helps us much - white could most probably choose to ignore it and continue his incursions into the kingside with either g5 or h5.

h5 was tried by me in Game 5435982 so if you want to see what happens next against a strong player, try looking at this positon, though hopefully you can find some improvements on what I played.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
06 Dec 08

I'm new to this thread but d5 really looks like a juicy move. and the lines posted on it are just too sexy to be ignored I think...

s

Moves
06 Dec 08

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
I dont know whether d5 really helps us much - white could most probably choose to ignore it and continue his incursions into the kingside with either g5 or h5.

h5 was tried by me in Game 5435982 so if you want to see what happens next against a strong player, try looking at this positon, though hopefully you can find some improvements on what I played.
If ...d5 works, then it is the move to play! White can't really ignore it, because ...e5 is now a serious threat.

Had a look at your game, and the move that sprung to my mind after 20.Rd2 was .....d5! 🙂

The difference between this line and the earlier 18..d5 (instead of 18...h5) is that white has now weakened his k-side pawns. A sample line might be 18...h5 19.gxh5 Nxh5 20.Rd2 d5!? 21 exd5 Ng3!? 22.Re1 Nf5 and now if the B retreats to f2, then ...Bh6 looks good for us!?
This wasn't possible in the other line because white had a pawn on g5. (The ...Rb8+ should also be thrown in there somewhere I guess)

Anyway, this is probably confusing everyone - myself included! I don't have the answer, just a gut feeling that ...d5 by black at some point soon is the way to play.

rc

Moves
06 Dec 08

Originally posted by black beetle
So let's follow them Highlanders SF and robbie (a'lonn wi ptobler and TONY) big time with bagpipes and Glenlivet et al, for we hav to be proudanhappy around Jan. 25 havin bagged that crafty PAWN RIOT fir ald lang syn

😵
oh beetle there's a hand my trusty fiere, and gie's a hand o thine,
And we'll tak a right guid-willie waught, and send ol pawn riot hame!

for the last living dragon on earth, the Loch Ness monster, be brave and steadfast sons of the chess board! i salute you beetle! man born of that noble race of Greeks, where civilization was mothered in its infant cradle, and whur many a fierce foe was vanquished and sent hame to think again!

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
07 Dec 08

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
oh beetle there's a hand my trusty fiere, and gie's a hand o thine,
And we'll tak a right guid-willie waught, and send ol pawn riot hame!

for the last living dragon on earth, the Loch Ness monster, be brave and steadfast sons of the chess board! i salute you beetle! man born of that noble race of Greeks, where civilization was mothered in its infant cradle, and whur many a fierce foe was vanquished and sent hame to think again!
😵

m

Moves
09 Dec 08

h5