1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:33
    Originally posted by dooser2004
    ...and I guess if the chair the defendant is sitting on is set ablaze that is telling something too...
    For years here, we who are concerned about engine cheating have had to listen to the shrieks and moans about "witch hunts". Your "arguments" are nothing new.

There were, of course, no witches (at least ones who could do any damage). There are, of course, engine cheaters here at RHP and they damage the site every day.
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:35
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    For years here, we who are concerned about engine cheating have had to listen to the shrieks and moans about "witch hunts". Your "arguments" are nothing new.

There were, of course, no witches (at least ones who could do any damage). There are, of course, engine cheaters here at RHP and they damage the site every day.
    True, but trial by accusation is not a very reliable way to catch the cheats.
  3. Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:401 edit

In other words those who oppose the way this case has been dealt with are NOT concerned about engine use right... ???

..and of course only veterans like yourself stand to defend the community...

...and better having two engine users not banned because of reasonable doubt than one innocent expelled and his work on this site ruined!
  4. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:41
    In other words those who oppose the way this case has been dealt with are NOT concerned about engine use right... ???

...and better having two engine users not banned because of reasonable doubt than one innocent expelled and his work on this site ruined!
    Well said.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:482 edits

If you insist on setting impossible conditions on catching engine cheats and choose to label accusations based on Game Analysis by one of the strongest players on the site (and an original Game Mod) as "setting fire to a chair" then yes, you aren't terribly concerned about engine use. Every time a popular user has been removed as a 3(b) there have been the same outcries (you were here for the IM31 Cry-A-Thon from his admirers). If the Game Mods have to worry about popular opinion here, nobody of any stature will ever get tossed. And those are the biggest cheats of all.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:49
    If you insist on setting impossible conditions on catching engine cheats and choose to label accusations based on Game Analysis by one of the strongest players on the site (and an original Game Mod) as "setting fire to a chair" then yes, you aren't terribly concerned about engine use. Every time a popular user has been removed as a 3(b) there have been t ...[text shortened]... on here, nobody of any stature will ever get tossed. And those are the biggest cheats of all.
    Well said.
  7. Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:52
    If you insist on setting impossible conditions on catching engine cheats and choose to label accusations based on Game Analysis by one of the strongest players on the site (and an original Game Mod) as "setting fire to a chair" then yes, you aren't terribly concerned about engine use. Every time a popular user has been removed as a 3(b) there have been t ...[text shortened]... on here, nobody of any stature will ever get tossed. And those are the biggest cheats of all.
    Only the part about taking it out in public is the fire not the analysis and certainly not putting it to the mods...

As far as popular is concerned I never even exchanged a word with Cludi only watched what he did.

Thing is he put his case in his blog and much of it adds up to something that is yet to be challenged by you and or his accusers!!!!
  8. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:53
    If the Game Mods have to worry about popular opinion here, nobody of any stature will ever get tossed. And those are the biggest cheats of all.
    But that's exactly the problem. When popular opinion is manipulated and a public war launched, how can one possibly expect fairness? Let alone decency.
  9. Joined
    19 Oct '07
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:56
    Originally posted by elady
    Me too. I'm sure that i play against cheater. Last time I had this kind of feeling was when i played against User 317387.
    This time my opponent even can't explain simple chess issues. His graph is too strange. He makes stupid mistakes and then becomes strong grandmaster.
    I asked him question about his moves, but his answers were really bad. I sent a fe ...[text shortened]... dback about a 2-3 weeks ago, but he is still "alive".
    Please don't write here his nickname
    yeah, like he owes you an explanation.
    And who cares who uses what? You have to assume that it's going to happen to everyone sooner or later, and whining about it only shows how pathetically fragile your life is.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:59
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    But that's exactly the problem. When popular opinion is manipulated and a public war launched, how can one possibly expect fairness? Let alone decency.
    The Site Admins have made plenty of decisions based on their opinion of what is right rather than public opinion. Are you saying they can't be fair just because an accusation is made in public (due to their actions BTW)?
  11. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 15:05
    The Site Admins have made plenty of decisions based on their opinion of what is right rather than public opinion. Are you saying they can't be fair just because an accusation is made in public (due to their actions BTW)?
    Why do you think they have been so drawn out in this process, so ambivolent? They've had plenty of time to make a decision one way or another. Of course there is an effect.
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 19:202 edits
    Originally posted by jPassage
    yeah, like he owes you an explanation.
    And who cares who uses what? You have to assume that it's going to happen to everyone sooner or later, and whining about it only shows how pathetically fragile your life is.
    yeah, like he owes you an explanation. No need to explain, He's banned for engine use.

And who cares who uses what? I and about 99% of the people on this chess site do. ThAT'S WHO. And who are you anyway???

You have to assume that it's going to happen to everyone sooner or later, Assume does nothing but make a Ass u me. And that's what many are trying to stop. From both directions.

and whining about it only shows how pathetically fragile your life is. Well their whine was justified and helped catch another cheater at cheating.
    And anyone who has to use a engine to cheat at a chess game is really the people with pathetic life's. Why even play the game. Or should I say, why even pretend to play the game.
  13. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 01:00
    If the defendant flees before the trial concludes, that is strong circumstantial evidence of guilt.
    Or of hurt, disappointment, frustration, and the unlikelihood of obtaining a fair trial if the public gallery has already filled up with screaming people.
  14. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 02:25
    Originally posted by SSJ4GogetaSSJ4
    i agree most big sites will have engine users/cheaters.
    the people who can catch cheaters basically need two things: basic chess theory and engine access to see who is or is not a cheater.

for example i can easily tell an engine user (after the game that is) as i have over 100+ engines including rybka, fritz, shredder, hiarcs, chessmaster (the kin ...[text shortened]... ves. additionally you need to check with at least two engines. this all takes a lot of time.
    You sound like a good candidate for the new mod team.
    All you need is a star and you're on your way. 🙂
  15. Standard memberChris Oelfke
    BEERCLAN!!! founder
    Houston, Texas
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 02:44
    if someone must cheat to win a game, fu*k 'em. what satisfaction does he/she gain?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree