1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 02:57
    Originally posted by Chris Oelfke
    if someone must cheat to win a game, fu*k 'em. what satisfaction does he/she gain?
    They get the fantastic glow of a high rating and giving advice based on what there computer says to other users. Sometimes they go too far, and the real chess players realize they know nothing about chess and are probably cheating.

Some just keep their mouth shut and cheat for the number.

Some are actually computer programers designing a chess engine of their own, wondering how it will do.

As stupid as it all seems to you or I, there are people who believe they need a high rating to prove something... or "everyone else must be cheating!" or "I'm not really cheating, my computer suggests a move and I have the final say."

The sad one is the person who thinks the other guy is cheating. I came in here strong to get up to 1350 or so years back. One of the guys I first played I destroyed twice, and next thing you know they became a 2000 rated player. Makes me wonder if they thought I was cheating just because I was better than them.

P-
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '03
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 08:51
    Originally posted by Arrakis
    You sound like a good candidate for the new mod team.
    All you need is a star and you're on your way. 🙂
    well thanks a lot. unfortunately my financial status isnt that good on my own. that is the reason i play on multiple chess sites to get the most i can for free. i could still check for engine users if someone asks and i have the time.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 13:51
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    Or of hurt, disappointment, frustration, and the unlikelihood of obtaining a fair trial if the public gallery has already filled up with screaming people.
    Whatever; you have a strange vision of the world.
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 14:17
    I'm reminded of the trial in To Kill A Mockingbird.
  5. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 14:23
    Originally posted by DawgHaus
    I'm reminded of the trial in To Kill A Mockingbird.
    Why is that? Did the judge abandon the trial and close the court when the jury were half way through their deliberations?
  6. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 17:09
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Why is that? Did the judge abandon the trial and close the court when the jury were half way through their deliberations?
    It's not over till the Fat Lady sings. 😛 😉
  7. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 03:47
    Originally posted by SSJ4GogetaSSJ4
    well thanks a lot. unfortunately my financial status isnt that good on my own. that is the reason i play on multiple chess sites to get the most i can for free. i could still check for engine users if someone asks and i have the time.
    Please post your qualifications to be a mod in Russ's forum Site Announcements. You never know... somebody might decide to sponsor a membership for you at this site.
  8. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 04:331 edit
    I dont see why having 100+ engines automatically makes people a game mod candidate Ive had almost every engine there is known to man and they all move similarly, and you should be able to catch 1 by using another. The analysis is what seems to be the most important aspect.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 04:51
    Originally posted by Arrakis
    Please post your qualifications to be a mod in Russ's forum Site Announcements. You never know... somebody might decide to sponsor a membership for you at this site.
    The site owner should consider giving a free sub to competent game mods who put in several hours of time a week to help make the site better.
  10. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 08:04
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    Maybe it's possible to make Russ respond to all the rumours..
    Thread 88227, dealing with the same subject, is already counting 159 post today.. and no response from Russ..

It's a fact that there was found prove of using the engine [b]Fritz
    by one individual back in January..

It's a fact that this prove has been shown to Rus ...[text shortened]... proven cheating..

Why are you not acting Russ!?

Why are you not responding?
    [/b]
    I just accepted game no. 4701826 on the challenge page.

Let me rephrase that.

Game number four million, seven hundred one thousand, eight hundred twenty-six.

Dunno...sounds like an awful lot of games to QA to me. I don't think these guys are sitting on their heels raking in the dough. I think they care about the site and its legitimacy. If they don't care, everybody can use an engine and then the site's done for, right?

I suppose what gets me torqued is the lunacy of your economics. One way or the other, it doesn't matter what happens here. If you're here for six games at a time, chess doesn't matter that much to you. If you spend a hell of alot of time on the site, your cost per unit time is so low that economically, you'd be much better off figuring out which vents to open in your air conditioner than trying to figure out if somebody cheated here.

I don't condone cheating. But there's a lunatic fringe on this site that's appointed themselves the freaking Taliban for chess. Worry about other, consequential, things.
  11. Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 09:27
    Originally posted by Amsterdamn
    Maybe it's possible to make Russ respond to all the rumours..
    Thread 88227, dealing with the same subject, is already counting 159 post today.. and no response from Russ..

It's a fact that there was found prove of using the engine [b]Fritz
    by one individual back in January..

It's a fact that this prove has been shown to Rus ...[text shortened]... proven cheating..

Why are you not acting Russ!?

Why are you not responding?
    [/b]
    Maybe a secondary question is 'Russ, do you allow ex-cheaters to return to rhp' ? 😲
  12. Joined
    17 Feb '04
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 17:49
    I suspect we are all getting fed up with cheaters using some form or other to enhance their rating. it is a sad endictment that we even have to have threads like this, where we even give thm time of day.

If they only way they can win is to cheat, rather than use their own skills and wits, then I pity their lack genuine support for chess. Own you wins, mistakes and losses, but at least do it all on your own not with a website or software.

If someone is guilty of cheating, I think, if proven, a 'first offense' should see those involved have their ranking reduced to 1000. Any second offence and they should get blocked from moving the site with no refund.

I love playing chess. My ranking is around 1350 or so generally and every win and loss is completely my own, including some horrendous errors!!!

If you are better than and beat me fair and square, good for you, I will thank you for the game and enjoy the next match, but if you can only win by cheating then please, do us all a favour and go join another site and don't ruin the game for others.
  13. Joined
    07 Sep '03
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 17:582 edits
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    I dont see why having 100+ engines automatically makes people a game mod candidate Ive had almost every engine there is known to man and they all move similarly, and you should be able to catch 1 by using another. The analysis is what seems to be the most important aspect.
    most of the time they will have similar suggestions but not every engine will have the same best moves. that is why its good to analyze with at least 2 engines and several games. the analysis is of course one of the most important parts. engines can do this. compare rybkas moves to chessmasters moves in the mid game or end game. the moves will be quite different. rybka will win almost everytime or draw. so its moves must be different. opening games arent that important because engines have opening books yet some are more extensive than others. the same thing applies to endgame tablebases.
  14. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 13:241 edit
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    It's not over till the Fat Lady sings. 😛 😉
    Aretha Franklin
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Allison Moyet
    Cilla Black

EDIT: (Cilla doesn't really count. She wasn't fat when she sang, but she's fat now...)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree