1. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 12:41
    From the other thread posted by cludi

The game mods present the evidence to the site admins who then decide whether to ban or not.

Looks like the admins have decided not to ban so end of story!
  2. Standard memberIthrowwithClocks
    The Wackiest of ALL
    Holland
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 12:49
    dear murrow,

I do not accuse anyone, so it doesn't say anything about me.....perhaps about you....lol 😀 😀
  3. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 12:591 edit
    saying "perhaps" makes it okay, then? 😕
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:01
    Originally posted by murrow
    saying "perhaps" makes it okay, then? 😕
    perhaps!
  5. Joined
    12 Aug '04
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:041 edit
    If the site admins are resistent toward banning people from engine use, at least they should set up a system similar to what exists in ICC, and other places, were the caught one is marked with a 'C' (computer) sign. Obviously, tournaments, leagues, and clan challenges would be a no-no for them.

What is not acceptable for the majority of users is allowing engine users to play freely in the site.
  6. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:18
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    He's talking about two different users. The guy he mentions by name (User 317387) has indeed been banned, but I think the other player is someone he is playing or has played recently.
    I'm guessing he's from Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
  7. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:25
    What would be proper procedure if you thought you played a game against someone who cheats with chess software?
  8. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:27
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    What would be proper procedure if you thought you played a game against someone who cheats with chess software?
    Send Feedback, giving detailed information.
  9. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:30
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    I'd kick his butt 😉
  10. Standard memberZorroRojo
    Sci-Fi Clan Leader
    Woodbridge, VA, USA
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:51
    I am generally a quiet individual and often keep to myself and simply come here to play. I try to learn from every game I play and I'm sure I could learn some things even from someone who is cheating. To my knowledge I've only played against one person here that was banned for cheating. And the only reason I know that is because the game I was playing with him was frozen and then I saw some message saying the person had been banned. So with that what I am trying to say is that I don't keep up with everything that is going on to find/identify cheaters and won't pretend to understand the problem nor the process.

I will say that I do not like it when people cheat and do believe that people who break the rules deserve a warning and if they continue then they deserve to be banned. I also feel that there must be no doubt that they are cheating before being banned and I have no idea how long it can take to have enough information to be 100% sure that a person is cheating.

How would any of you feel if you were accused of cheating and then banned even though you have not been cheating? I think none of you would appreciate it as I know I would not like being called a cheater when I know I am not cheating.

My guess would be that it takes time to review the evidence to be sure someone is cheating and with the game mod group gone I am sure it will take Russ longer to review and come to a conclusion. I also don't believe in rushing site administrators to come to a conclusion and so say let Russ take his time and do the review process right (which him keeping silent about what is going on could be part of his process at this time) and when he is ready to reply about this matter then he will.
  11. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:54
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Send Feedback, giving detailed information.
    The plot thickens...
  12. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 14:10
    Originally posted by ZorroRojo
    I will say that I do not like it when people cheat and do believe that people who break the rules deserve a warning and if they continue then they deserve to be banned. I also feel that there must be no doubt that they are cheating before being banned and I have no idea how long it can take to have enough information to be 100% sure that a person is cheat ...[text shortened]... part of his process at this time) and when he is ready to reply about this matter then he will.
    I will say that I do not like it when people cheat and do believe that people who break the rules deserve a warning and if they continue then they deserve to be banned.
    Warning? there are enough warnings not to use engines, you agree with it when u subscribe etc. using any form of computer/engine = BAN.

I also feel that there must be no doubt that they are cheating before being banned and I have no idea how long it can take to have enough information to be 100% sure that a person is cheating.

How would any of you feel if you were accused of cheating and then banned even though you have not been cheating? I think none of you would appreciate it as I know I would not like being called a cheater when I know I am not cheating.

I dont know all t he ins and outs, but what was posted above seems enough reason for me to ban this individual. How long can it take to review? i guess this issue would get a higher priority, ive sent feedback on the 18th of february and received a post saying the problem is solved on the 28th of february. I guess there are ppl who sent feedback about this cheater issue before i did and did not receive a reply yet.

let Russ take his time and do the review process right (which him keeping silent about what is going on could be part of his process at this time) and when he is ready to reply about this matter then he will.
    If he is still buisy reviewing this, the least he could do is reply with a post that hes working on it or anything like that...
  13. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 14:14
    What happens if a player is very good and their game happens to emulate a chess engine?
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 14:14
    The biggest thing that torques me about the whole cheating mess is that the only ones damaged are those who complete games with the cheat prior to him/her being banned from the site. How many tournaments and clan matches have been skewed because of the cheater's actions, and the results can't be retroactively changed, while games in progress merely go away?

I am sure the process to validate allegations of cheating are difficult at best, but, there certainly should be no favoritism exercised, regardless of who the culpret is, or how much embarrassment it may cause. If they are a cheat, they should be banned, end of the discussion.

I also believe that there have been allegations leveled at individuals who were not cheats and hopefully the process circumvents the banning of a legitimate player. I have been involved with games against three cheats, all of which have later been banned (of course too late to save my paltry rating from being affected). I find it sad that anyone would need the ego boost that a fake rating would produce so badly that they would feel compelled to cheat.

I do agree with the masses that since we do pay a fee for the use of this site (well most of us anyway), we deserve the maintenance of the integrity of this site by the prompt and decisive actions required to rid us of the cheaters.

I will close with the hope that someday my level of play becomes so good that I will be suspected of being a cheat. I know, it ain't gonna happen!
  15. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 14:201 edit
    Originally posted by RDM
    What happens if a player is very good and their game happens to emulate a chess engine?
    It doesn't happen. Kasparov, Capablanca, Kramnik and all the other chess players don't play like engines. So how come little Joe Schmo can accomplish it? Playing consistently as an engine means that you are an engine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree