Russ, do you protect people from banning?

Russ, do you protect people from banning?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
05 Mar 08

I have to agree I think the lack of comments from Russ or admin/mod etc is not giving a very strong and good image for the site, it really would be better (imo at least) if an official statement was made very soon regarding current events and what will be done to discourage engine use.
I only care enough about this to post because it really is a shame to be losing such good players from this site.

I believe also that the fact that most here are subs, they deserve some feedback on their fears, to not do so asap, will not send out a very good message.

(My two cents 🙂 )

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
05 Mar 08

Originally posted by Amsterdamn
You hit the nail on the head..

That can be solved in a matter of minutes so to speak..

Why do the admins just sit and watch?
Because they are like the two old guys in the balcony in The Muppets?

http://www.poster-shop.com/images/JMH508b.JPG

P-

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
05 Mar 08

Originally posted by ItsYouThatIAdore
Look, David says that the he/himself, has found the evidence with others, he submitted to Gatecrasher who agrees, from this they did an inquiry, and they confirmed that there is overwhelming evidence... David Tebb has staked his word on all this, therefore, I will pledge my allegiance to him...
I don't dispute that...I think that the point I was trying to make was that the problem goes beyond just one individual user and extends to our confidence in the site.

c

Moves
05 Mar 08

Originally posted by Tatarana Crocodilo
If the site admins are resistent toward banning people from engine use, at least they should set up a system similar to what exists in ICC, and other places, were the caught one is marked with a 'C' (computer) sign. Obviously, tournaments, leagues, and clan challenges would be a no-no for them.

What is not acceptable for the majority of users is allowing engine users to play freely in the site.
That's not how it works, those things with a (C) sign are computer players, and they have to inform ICC BEFORE signing up that it is a computer account used ONLY for computer play.

c

Moves
05 Mar 08

Originally posted by cludi
Very true.
Oh the irony...

c

Moves
05 Mar 08

Due to inaction, whether it be out of fear, or respect, this site is going to see some major ramifications. Amazing players, who have brought great prestige, and legitimized this site will be leaving. David Tebb will not stand beside this, and I am positive that he will be leaving in the next few days. Which is a shame, and will probably lead to ...[text shortened]... nity. If the person is banned, well, I am sure they will move on, and so will the rest of us!
Yeah...it's so strange how many blatant engine users are allowed to stay on RHP...don't you agree, IYTIA?

c

Moves
05 Mar 08

Originally posted by Hindstein
What I find ironic is that 95% of people posting in the thread wouldn't be able to spot an engine user even if it kicked them in the groin - myself included. The constant calls from lower rated players of "cheat, cheat" backed up by nothing other than rumour and hear-say is pretty disgusting to me. I have played some of the banned list and as well as tho ...[text shortened]... am sure that when you do, it will be the informed judgments that keep this site the best.
I suppose a lot of that comes from lower rated players hearing what well informed and higher rated players have had to say, would you say it's ridiculous to support them? Higher rated players offer most credibility, but without huge support from your average RHP player they won't be able to get as much done.

Canada

Moves
05 Mar 08

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Yeah...it's so strange how many blatant engine users are allowed to stay on RHP...don't you agree, IYTIA?
I never referred to anything like that, I dont know how many people cheat...I am just supporting Tebb on the issue...

c

Moves
05 Mar 08

I never referred to anything like that, I dont know how many people cheat...I am just supporting Tebb on the issue...
Hm, well...I think it's strange anyway.

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
05 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Korch
Apparently they were deleted. I dont know why my post was deleted because I did not made accusations (which I cant say about Arrakis).

And I can repeat main idea of my deleted post - [b] RHP admins should explain their contradictious actions
[/b]
I don't know why my post was banned either... because I said that "one game match is not enough to accuse a person as a cheater".
Perhaps they banned it because I gave the name and the game number where one of my opponents matched 100%?

Since I got a warning from the moderator I won't do that again.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
05 Mar 08

Today is the first day I have spoken to anyone about this issue, other than to the accuser, the other game mods, and the site admins. How it has spread to virtually every RHP forum is a mystery to me, since many of the originating posts and threads appear to have been removed.

I don't like words being put in my mouth (IYTIA!). Just to make things very clear, so that there can be no more rumours or doubt about this:

Evidence was submitted to me - I might add, a substantial amount of evidence - by a certain RHP member. For obvious reasons, it could not be posted into the game mod forum as per usual, so I informed the site admins and submitted the data to them, and asked for guidance on how to proceed with the matter. The reply I got was in fact to treat the case as any other case, and to post the data as usual. This I did, and I also made it clear in the forum that I would reserve official judgment until I had analysed, verified, and evaluated all of the evidence.

After a week or so of posting my findings as I progressed - I was about 60%-70% through the workload - when the lights went out. I no longer had access to the game mod forum. Shortly afterwards I received a brief message from Russ to say that the game moderation process had been suspended.

And that is where things currently stand.

I've given up trying to understand the Admin's motives, or why there has been such a delay in clarifying the situation.

However I did receive an email from Chris in mid-February expressing the hope that things would get back to normal soon.

I can only guess that they did not expect this thing to blow up the way it has. And I do think they have been, and still are, committed to combatting engine abuse at RHP.

But a response from them is now long overdue.

The evidence needs to be independently evaluated on its own merits and tested against the burden of proof, namely, overwhelming evidence beyond reasonable doubt. Regardless of anyone's opinion, and as far as I know, that task still has to be completed.

Metaphorically speaking, the courtroom got burned down mid-trial. There is only one remedy for that; it has to be rebuilt, and the trial completed.

The game mod concept was designed to avoid exactly what we now have, trial-by-forum. But it is very difficult to argue against trial-by-forum when there is no alternative mechanism in place. You cannot suppress genuine expressions of dissatisfaction if you provide no legitimate outlets for it.

Over to Russ...

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by Amsterdamn
It's a fact that this person was not granted his win in a tournament after the evidence of engine-use was shown to Russ..
This is actually because of a bug. Tournaments winners are declared automatically - but I have been forced to update a few tournament victors manually recently.

Tournament 1021 and 1922, for example, have both been awarded after recent feedback about this issue.

-Russ

penguinpuffin

finsbury

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by Russ
This is actually because of a bug. Tournaments winners are declared automatically - but I have been forced to update a few tournament victors manually recently.

Tournament 1021 and 1922, for example, have both been awarded after recent feedback about this issue.

-Russ
😵

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by Russ

-Russ
Anything else you would like to say?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
06 Mar 08

Originally posted by Red Night
Anything else you would like to say?
Yes, if you would like to help in the new game moderation team, please see this thread:

Thread 88786

-Russ