1. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 14:15
    I am trying to analyze my past games and I need finding improvements in a couple of them.

Game 3216815 1/2 - 1/2
    this is a thematic game (from an unfamiliar opening line) against an inferior player. I feel all my moves were solid, but I just can't figure out how I could have played to win. Any improvements?

Game 3233906 0-1
    here I played a superior player and I thought I played well, especially in the early parts of the game. My first idea would be to play 22. b6 instead of Nd6+ when BxN gives me a passed pawn, but allows his king to castle. Shortly after that I found I had an attack on the wing, but my king was alone in the center and his attack came faster. He eventually won tactically. Not dropping the e5 pawn on move 9 would be a good idea too. 🙂 I think that Nf3 instead of Nc3 would be better.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 14:29
    Originally posted by zebano
    I am trying to analyze my past games and I need finding improvements in a couple of them.

Game 3216815 1/2 - 1/2
    this is a thematic game (from an unfamiliar opening line) against an inferior player. I feel all my moves were solid, but I just can't figure out how I could have played to win. Any improvements?
    just gave this a quick look (not even all the way through), but you did very well creating a very strong knight outpost (on white square!!), but then you almost immediately exchanged your incredible knight for his bad bishop?? That was an obvious mistake. If I get a chance later, I'll take a closer look.

D
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 14:31
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    just gave this a quick look (not even all the way through), but you did very well creating a very strong knight outpost (on white square!!), but then you almost immediately exchanged your incredible knight for his bad bishop?? That was an obvious mistake. If I get a chance later, I'll take a closer look.

D
    Instead of doing the terrible exchange, I would have fixed my queen side pawns on the light squares, and used my pieces and pawns and king to advance your kingside pawns.

D
  4. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 14:39
    In the first game, 1. e3 is way too passive for white in the opening. Once you got to control the e4 square and play e5, the initiative is in your hands. (1. Qc2, controlling the e4 square and threatening to play e4 the next move, is much more active. That's how I'd play as white.)

You had a clear advantage in the game when your opponent was stuck with his bad dark-squared bishop against your knight. Had you played Qf5 instead of Nxd2 in your 19th move, you could build up a strong attack on his weakened white squares, combined with pressure on his d pawn. I don't think his counterplay on the queenside would be strong enough to stop you, and once you managed to force him to exchange queens, the game would be yours.

After 19. ... Nxd2, however, all the advantage you had is gone: with nothing but queens on the board, it's an easy draw. You had no reason to exchange such a strong knight for such a pitiful bishop.
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 14:49
    Instead of doing the terrible exchange, I would have fixed my queen side pawns on the light squares, and used my pieces and pawns and king to advance your kingside pawns.

D
    Thanks guys. For some reason I thought that his bishop could easily be activated so I exchanged hoping to outplay him with the queen.
  6. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 15:04
    As for the second game, you overexerted yourself and ended up losing a pawn - a common mistake for white in the Alekhine Defense. You had some compensation for the pawn, which you could have used to get your material back with a clear advantage, since your opponent didn't play very accurately.

I don't see how 7. b4 is justifiable, for example: it seems white is going out of his way to try to win black's knight, but 7... d6 stops the threat and also counters white's center. 7. Bd3 seems much stronger, preparing to counter 7... d6 with 8. e6! ( 8... fe6 9. Qh5+ +-).

As for how you could win your material back in the game, how about 22. Qxd4 instead of 22. Nd6+ ? With that move, you attack both the e4 and g7 pawn. I don't have much time to analyze that now, but so far I couldn't think of a single continuation where black doesn't lose material.
  7. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 15:24

Game 3233906 0-1

Thanks for your help.[/b]
    6.c5 seems to win a piece:N6xd5 a3 and black looses a knight.
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 15:26
    Originally posted by omulcusobolani
    6.c5 seems to win a piece:N6xd5 a3 and black looses a knight.
    OH heck, I thought I had something there.
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 16:13
    14.Bxd2?

what about Rf2? -- I cant see how that loses...
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 16:33
    Game 3233906 0-1
    here I played a superior player and I thought I played well, especially in the early parts of the game. My first idea would be to play 22. b6 instead of Nd6+ when BxN gives me a passed pawn, but allows his king to castle. Shortly after that I found I had an attack on the wing, but my king was alone in the center and his attack came fas ...[text shortened]... be a good idea too. 🙂 I think that Nf3 instead of Nc3 would be better.

Thanks for your help.
    I think 44.f2 was a blunder. Ke1 was the move. Black still needs to deal with the threat of Rxh7 which allows you time to bring your bishop onto the b1-h7 diagonal. Black wants to keep his pawns connected, so pxp+ is no real threat, the issolated f-pawn would be horribly weak. I think you can even draw this way...

44.Ke1 ..Nf6
    45.Bc2 ..h5 (seems pretty forced...)
    46.fxe3 seems a good move but so does Bd1

Not sure which is stronger but you still have chances... 🙂
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 19:014 edits
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I think 44.f2 was a blunder. Ke1 was the move. Black still needs to deal with the threat of Rxh7 which allows you time to bring your bishop onto the b1-h7 diagonal. Black wants to keep his pawns connected, so pxp+ is no real threat, the issolated f-pawn would be horribly weak. I think you can even draw this way...

44.Ke1 ..Nf6
    45.Bc2 ..h5 (seems pret ...[text shortened]... seems a good move but so does Bd1

Not sure which is stronger but you still have chances... 🙂
    Position after 43.Qg4+

Actually this is very sharp, i think black just gets the better of it after 46.Bd1...

46.Bd1 variation

44.Ke1 ..Nf6
    45.Bc2 ..h5 (seems pretty forced...)
    46.Bd1 ..Qg2!
    47.fxe2 (forced because of the threat os exf2+) ..fxe2
    48.R3h2 ..Qg3+
    49.Kf1 ..Qf4+
    50.Ke1 ..Kf7!

Winning the h-pawn no longer comes with check so white can no longer afford the time to recapture on h5 as black is threatening mate.

EDIT: In fact black wins outright in this variation...

47.fxe2 ..f3!!

The black pawn is unstoppable so...

46.fxe3 variation

46.fxe3 ..fxe3
    47.Rxe3 ..Qb4+
    48.Ke2 ..Qxd6
    49.Bg6 Draw

I can.t find any tactical tricks for black in the final position, my guess is draw. 🙂
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 13:14
    Any thoughts Zeb? 🙂
  13. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 13:182 edits
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Any thoughts Zeb? 🙂
    Sorry, I haven't had much time. It certainly looks better than my continuation though 🙂

Edit: there is nothing on e2 so how is this possible.
    I assume it should be
    47. fxe3, fxe3
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 14:141 edit
    Sorry, I haven't had much time. It certainly looks better than my continuation though 🙂

Edit: there is nothing on e2 so how is this possible.
    I assume it should be
    47. fxe3, fxe3
    Yes, sorry that is a typo... It's an interesting position, i enjoyed looking through that. 🙂
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '07 01:38

D
    i agree with this quick analysis...
    you kept exchanging pieces, assuming that you would be able to overpower your player aftyer he maybe blundered...
    play the board, not the player
    anyway...
    you exchanged WAY too many pieces without playing for any real advantage...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree