1. Dublin
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 16:20
    Two draws now.
  2. London
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 16:26
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There's been three games: two have had decisive results and one was a rather interesting and well played draw. If anything it seems to me Kramnik had a slight advantage with a protected passed d-pawn opposed by Black's doubled a-pawns but under extreme time pressure decided to take the perpetual IF Topalov allowed it. I'm getting a little sick of this "K ...[text shortened]... onnecting the rooks and forcing the exchange of Black's well placed dark squared bishop.
    It was Ne4 *after* Be7. There was some analysis on playchess claiming it won outright, not sure about that. Wait for NiC. But it looked very strong.

Btw, I am pretty sure Kramnik played for a draw today (Bxc4 w f5-f4 obliged mass simplification) and yesterday too, and I think it's an excellent strategy for the match, and don't blame him at all. Actually let me put it this way. I think his approach to these two games has been: maintain pressure if its safetly available, but don't take risks, and remember that a draw is a good result for Kramnik and not for Topalov.

Just to be clear, I am a Kramnik fan, and don't really like Topalov. And if Kramnik draws his way to the title, then good on him. My comment was tongue in cheek, anyhow - no need for you to vomit a little - & I don't expect Kramnik to remain undefeated in this one.

7 more draws to go!
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 16:49
    I'm not going to say I told you so, but

I told you so.

Tommorrow is a rest day but be prepared for 8 more draws.

You have been warned!

Rahim K
  4. London
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 16:51
    Originally posted by RahimK

Tommorrow is a rest day but be prepared for 8 more draws.
    Doesn't Kramnik only need 7? Or do they play the last game(s) anyway, whether or not the match result has already been decided?
  5. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 17:06
    Regarding Kramnik's drawing reputation, which appears to be justified to some extent:

"World Champions and Draws"

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2096

Kramnik provides insightful analysis of his greatest predecessors.

http://www.kramnik.com/eng/interviews/getinterview.aspx?id=61
  6. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 17:08
    please topa, play as good as you are!!!!
    has anyone heard why topa didnt play e4 and went with Qc2....
  7. London
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 17:13
    Originally posted by Yuga
    Regarding Kramnik's drawing reputation, which appears to be justified to some extent:

That's hilarious. Great article. 450 Spassky draws under 20 moves?? I bet there was tennis court near those tournaments.
  8. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 17:271 edit
    Originally posted by TommyC
    That's hilarious. Great article. 450 Spassky draws under 20 moves?? I bet there was tennis court near those tournaments.
    Smyslov, Petrosian, and surprisingly (at least to some), Tal all had almost 400 draws under 20 moves in their careers too against GM's, although Spassky has played less games against GM's than Smyslov and Tal.

I wonder how many of those draws were prearranged!?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 17:41
    An interesting game but Topalov never seemed in a position to have decent winning chances.
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 18:02
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Doesn't Kramnik only need 7? Or do they play the last game(s) anyway, whether or not the match result has already been decided?
    I heard there were 12 games. 4 have been played already.
  11. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 18:04
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    An interesting game but Topalov never seemed in a position to have decent winning chances.
    he did tho!! he was up .89 for a while with fritz, i know thats not huge, and kramnik is great at defending slightly inferior postions, but he just missed a couple moves tho, anyhow, hes gotta get a couple wins here
  12. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 18:05
    There are 12 games but it's the first to 6 1/2 so kramnik only needs 7 more draws.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 18:08
    Originally posted by alexstclaire
    he did tho!! he was up .89 for a while with fritz, i know thats not huge, and kramnik is great at defending slightly inferior postions, but he just missed a couple moves tho, anyhow, hes gotta get a couple wins here
    Stop looking at Fritz evaluations and listen to what the Grandmasters are saying. Or better still, look at the games yourself.
  14. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 18:09
    Originally posted by Yuga

Kramnik provides insightful analysis of his greatest predecessors.

http://www.kramnik.com/eng/interviews/getinterview.aspx?id=61
    I knew it! Kramnik = Drawmnik.

No wonder Leko was on the phone with Kramnik getting drawing advice for one of his games after he was in a tough situtation.

Just a saying I heard on ICC but I like it.
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    27 Sep '06 18:111 edit
    Originally posted by omulcusobolani
    There are 12 games but it's the first to 6 1/2 so kramnik only needs 7 more draws.
    O, I thought they played all 12 games regardless of the results and then if there was a tie then they would go on to tie breaks.

But in this case, rest up boys and girls and be ready for 7 draws starting friday.

Edit: Both are great players and I'm not on their case. Just having some fun that's all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree