Vacation settings are a complete joke!!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
24 Jun 07

Originally posted by Krapsparov
A vacation means your on vacation from chess
Wow, I'm on vacation from work. What kind of limited life do you have???

F

Moves
24 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Ragnorak
3) [b]People can use their days as they please.
-Russ"
[/b]
Does Russ mean that it is allowed to abuse the vacation system? Yes he does.
No one is prevented to abuse the vacation system. So it must be allowed. It is apperantly okay to abuse the vacation system. It shouldn't even be called an abuse, right?

It is not possible to make moves that are not allowed. It it would be possible, players would abuse this. Like make a castling while in check, wait a move until doing an e.p., even trick your king out of a stalemate.
Question: Why doesn't people do this kind of stunts?
Answer: Because the system is not allowing it.

But the system allow you to abuse the vacation system. Therefore people does it. If the system allows it some people doesn't think it's not an abuse. Hens there are no abuses of the vacation system, right?

To have a vacation system based of sealed moves, there could not be any abuse. So there wouldn't be any discussions of this kind at all.

Don't baptise cats!!

Manchester

Moves
24 Jun 07

Originally posted by BLReid
Wow, I'm on vacation from work. What kind of limited life do you have???
If I'm looking at a vacation flag on a chess site, then what else is he on vacation from?????

MS

Under Cover

Moves
24 Jun 07
1 edit

If I'm looking at a vacation flag on a chess site, then what else is he on vacation from?????
Just on Vacation...How old are you anyway? This is really ridiculous.

It goes like this. I'm on vacation right now...FROM WORK. As such, I have more leisure time at my disposal than normal (SURPRIZE). However, I have plans for my vacation time that may prevent me from being able to log in regularly (today being a notable exception). For the record, when there was a vote regarding implementing a vacation system, I voted against it. But guess what...it has been implemented. It is part of the site, so now I use it, as many do...and there's nothing wrong with it.

Don't baptise cats!!

Manchester

Moves
24 Jun 07

Originally posted by BLReid
Just on Vacation...How old are you anyway? This is really ridiculous.

It goes like this. I'm on vacation right now...FROM WORK. As such, I have more leisure time at my disposal than normal (SURPRIZE). However, I have plans for my vacation time that may prevent me from being able to log in regularly (today being a notable exception). For the record, when th ...[text shortened]... nted. It is part of the site, so now I use it, as many do...and there's nothing wrong with it.
have you read ANY of what has been said before? or are you just reading what you want to read and pouncing on that?

Let me spell it out for you...
He was losing all his games via time-outs, so he put his vacation flag up and has been moving consistantly ever since.

By sheer Coincidence (NOT) he moved on my board within half an hour of reading this thread - still with his vacation flag up!!

Just because YOU say there is nothing wrong with the vacation system, does not mean there isn't.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
24 Jun 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
In short, you think [b]he's abusing the vacation system?

This could never happen if we introduce the concept of sealed moves.
Please - let us have sealed moves as a vacation system, Russ![/b]
Agreed, you should put up the vacation flag and make moves in every single game where it is your move.

As far as your opponents move is concerned they also make them.

... but he cannot see your moves and you cannot see his until thje vacation flag is removed. Both moves are "sealed".

Until the moves are sealed time decreases as normal so you could, for example, decide not to move in all your games. Vacation time decreases the whole time the flag is up.

Simple really!

MS

Under Cover

Moves
24 Jun 07

have you read ANY of what has been said before? or are you just reading what you want to read and pouncing on that?

Just because YOU say there is nothing wrong with the vacation system, does not mean there isn't.
To continue playing whilst on vacation whilst hiding under the immunity of a vacation flag is wrong.
It should be changed that your account is frozen.

You are clearly saying here that people should not be allowed to move while their vacation flag is up. That is what I am responding to. I never said that there is nothing wrong with the vacations system. I did say that there is nothing wrong with someone using it, since it is here and in place, and is clearly not a violation of the TOS.

Was that specific enough, or do I need to spell it out for you...

DS

Moves
24 Jun 07

He was losing all his games via time-outs, so he put his vacation flag up and has been moving consistantly ever since.

By sheer Coincidence (NOT) he moved on my board within half an hour of reading this ...[text shortened]... ust because YOU say there is nothing wrong with the vacation system, does not mean there isn't.
The simple answer is to have an on/off vacation switch at the start of the games so both players agree beforehand. [in the case of tournaments they could be pre-stated as vacation or non-vacation]

The system sucks big time. It's not a vacation system it's a timebank extender.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
24 Jun 07

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
The system sucks big time. It's not a vacation system it's a timebank extender.
...to cater for the fact that, amongst other things, people take vacations.

NL

Moves
24 Jun 07

I’m playing this guy who started to lose all of his games via timeouts.
He then went on to put his vacation flag up therefore effectively giving himself a 50-day time-bank.
He’s moving constantly and ignoring the ones he’s struggling with, like mine!!!
I say, scrap vacation mode altogether. If you plan on going on holiday, then plan your games better.
I must admit I rather agree with you that scrapping vacation mode might be a good idea. I don't personally make use of it anyway. I've always tried to plan to minimise the number of games I have going (particularly ones with only a 3-day timeout) before I go away. Then while I'm away, I'll pop into an internet cafe (or use the hotel internet if available) every few days to avoid losing any games on time. It's never been more than a mild inconvenience.

d

Moves
24 Jun 07

Originally posted by Northern Lad
I must admit I rather agree with you that scrapping vacation mode might be a good idea. I don't personally make use of it anyway. I've always tried to plan to minimise the number of games I have going (particularly ones with only a 3-day timeout) before I go away. Then while I'm away, I'll pop into an internet cafe (or use the hotel internet if availabl ...[text shortened]... few days to avoid losing any games on time. It's never been more than a mild inconvenience.
Not everyone goes on vacation in places where there are internet cafes. Or has families who think it's acceptable to spend time on chess while on vacation.

If vacation were scrapped I'd have to stick to 21/21 games only. That would be a shame. I much prefer the idea of a vacation on/off option at the start of the game/tourney.

S

Moves
24 Jun 07

IMO the only real problem is that vacation is unavailable to non-subscribers. I'm not a paying customer, and admittedly RHP doesn't OWE me anything, but i really believe it is a feature that should be allowed to non subs.

I do think sealed moves would be a good idea. If you are going on a vacation, you shouldn't be making tons of chess moves in the same game anyway. Understandably, a vacation isn't required to be a vacation from chess--but the purpose of the vacation flag is to give you time off while you are on vacation, essentially to give you a.... ...vacation from chess. I also understand that there is no way to abuse the system as it is stated right now the TOS allows people to do what they want with it, but i believe that SHOULD be corrected in some way.

Anyway, like i said at first, the main thing for me is that i can't take a vacation as a non-sub, there are times of the year where i have to go a few weeks without the ability to play chess, and if a game runs over one of such times i have no options--and the fact that members can take vacations means that games with them have a much higher probability of that happening, effectivly sparing them in their time unable to play, and screwing me. You could argue that i should then just play all 21/28's to prevent that, but subscribers don't have to since they are afforded the vacation feature. I'm probably gonna subscribe in a few months anyway so i guess it doesn't matter much for me, but I'll still think non-subs get screwed on that big time.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
24 Jun 07

Originally posted by ShaKKaXulu
IMO the only real problem is that vacation is unavailable to non-subscribers. I'm not a paying customer, and admittedly RHP doesn't OWE me anything, but i really believe it is a feature that should be allowed to non subs.

I do think sealed moves would be a good idea. If you are going on a vacation, you shouldn't be making tons of chess moves in the s ...[text shortened]... oesn't matter much for me, but I'll still think non-subs get screwed on that big time.
I hear you, and it really doesn't seem fair, but all I can say to that is pony up and subscribe. I know that is easier for some than others, but membership does (and should) have priveleges.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Jun 07

Originally posted by ShaKKaXulu

I do think sealed moves would be a good idea. If you are going on a vacation, you shouldn't be making tons of chess moves in the s ...[text shortened]... oesn't matter much for me, but I'll still think non-subs get screwed on that big time.
If vacations are allowed for non-subs, then you have the chance that all 6 opponents could go on vacation at once.

Vacation should probably be optional for casual games (non tournie/clan/siege).

D

C

Moves
24 Jun 07

By sheer Coincidence (NOT) he moved on my board within half an hour of reading this ...[text shortened]... ust because YOU say there is nothing wrong with the vacation system, does not mean there isn't.
You really need to grow up. I only moved in your game because you directly called me out (how very mature of you to do that, btw; had you any maturity at all you could have simply asked me what the situation was, and I would have obliged to make your games a priority). How I decide to spend my vacation time is really none of your business. I have NOT been moving "consistantly" since putting my flag up. I have less time now than I did when I started losing all my games. I'll move as time permits, and when I'm off my "vacation" I'll remove it and take the inevitable punishment of more lost games due to timeout. Get over it.

Either way, your argument is moot. It's no different than people that complain about the use of opening books. It's legal, and people will use it so long as it is.

🙂