Vacation settings are a complete joke!!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't baptise cats!!

Manchester

Moves
24 Jun 07

I’m playing this guy who started to lose all of his games via timeouts.
He then went on to put his vacation flag up therefore effectively giving himself a 50-day time-bank.
He’s moving constantly and ignoring the ones he’s struggling with, like mine!!!
I say, scrap vacation mode altogether. If you plan on going on holiday, then plan your games better.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
24 Jun 07

Name and shame please.

I'm not sure why you're getting worked up about it though... you've an unlimited number of games available, and a win is still a win, regardless of when it eventually happens.

F

Moves
24 Jun 07

Originally posted by Krapsparov
He then went on to put his vacation flag up therefore effectively giving himself a 50-day time-bank.
I say, scrap vacation mode altogether. If you plan on going on holiday, then plan your games better.
In short, you think he's abusing the vacation system?

This could never happen if we introduce the concept of sealed moves.
Please - let us have sealed moves as a vacation system, Russ!

Don't baptise cats!!

Manchester

Moves
24 Jun 07

Originally posted by rhb
Name and shame please.

I'm not sure why you're getting worked up about it though... you've an unlimited number of games available, and a win is still a win, regardless of when it eventually happens.
Name and shame, gladly "Chesswick"

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Jun 07

That's the sole aim of the Vacation system : immunity from TO for a fixed period of time each year.

In Russ' words:
"1) Players on vacation and their opponents can continue to move. It is only protection from timeout for a fixed number of days, nothing more.

2) A player must clear down games at risk from timeout before their vacation ends. Removal of the vacation flag will end any protection. The vacation page help will be updated to make this clear.

3) People can use their days as they please.

-Russ"

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Jun 07

Thread 71612

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Jun 07

Originally posted by FabianFnas
In short, you think [b]he's abusing the vacation system?

This could never happen if we introduce the concept of sealed moves.
Please - let us have sealed moves as a vacation system, Russ![/b]
That's too big of a change seeing as Russ is just after introducing this vacation system after years of being asked.

The current system just needs to be tweaked so that people don't confuse use with abuse, like our unnecessarily irate friend above.

See my thread in site ideas.

D

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
24 Jun 07

They only have 30 days of vacation each year, if that's how Chesswick wants to use them, that's his/her time being used.

Don't baptise cats!!

Manchester

Moves
24 Jun 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
That's the sole aim of the Vacation system : immunity from TO for a fixed period of time each year.

D
A vacation means your on vacation from chess, not just my game.
To continue playing whilst on vacation whilst hiding under the immunity of a vacation flag is wrong.
It should be changed that your account is frozen. This way you don't get to enjoy playing chess whilst giving the finger to the games your loosing

Jon

MS

Under Cover

Moves
24 Jun 07

To continue playing whilst on vacation whilst hiding under the immunity of a vacation flag is wrong.
It should be changed that your account is frozen. This way you don't get to enjoy playing chess whilst giving the finger to the games your loosing

Jon
I'm on vacation as I read this thread. I make moves as often as I can, so that my opponents don't have to wait 10 days for me. I avoid having my timebank deplete as much as possible, and if I end up timed out at the end of vacation, it's no big deal. So exactly how am I (and others like me) doing anything wrong?

C

Moves
24 Jun 07

I'm guessing you're talking about me Krapsparov.

I am using the vacation system, because I *AM* on vacation. In fact, I went on vacation long before I started using it, and I started losing a lot of games due to timeout. I thought I could continue making moves in the evening, but such isn't the case. If you consider that abuse, then I apologize; I'm using the facilities offered by the site.

And, it has nothing to do with struggle. I move in order of those that show up on my games list.

g

Moves
24 Jun 07

I am a member on GameKnot, which has a vacation system.

One thing to know about GK, timeouts are automatic.

Whenever someone there believes they may be away from the computer for a while, they may set a vacation flag, similar to here. The one thing they added was as follows. If a vacationing player continues to move, then his opponent has the option of unsetting the vacation flag.

Might be worth looking at here, might be good as is. Just pointing out the possibility.

SS

Moves
24 Jun 07
1 edit

k

washington

Moves
24 Jun 07

does it matter. wins pile up and your rating benefits from it ;-)

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
24 Jun 07

Jon
FYI, Russ is the owner of this site. This is his post on the vacation system...
""1) Players on vacation and their opponents can continue to move. It is only protection from timeout for a fixed number of days, nothing more.

2) A player must clear down games at risk from timeout before their vacation ends. Removal of the vacation flag will end any protection. The vacation page help will be updated to make this clear.

3) People can use their days as they please.

-Russ"

D