1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 03:31
    Originally posted by Der Bayer
    I'm surprised no one has said Kasparov yet. He is usually mentioned first or second
    the question was who's your favourite player, not who was the strongest player ever. big difference.
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 03:502 edits
    David Bronstein, whose King's Indian Defense games in the 1940s still amaze me. I am in awe of his brilliance.

Evgeny Vasiukov, because his King's Indian Attack games in the 1960's inspire me still.

John Nunn, whose original "Secrets of Grandmaster Play" raised my OTB rating 300 points, and who radically altered my understanding of how GMs play in the process. And for his "Pirc for the Tournament Player", which forced me to learn chess just to understand it.

Leonid Stein, also for his King's Indian Attack games, and his amazingly deep tactical conceptions- so deep, that they practically transcended the tactics/strategy distinction.

Edvins Kengis, who inspired me to learn Alekhine's Defense, and because his game ideas and concepts led to me upsetting better players with it.

Tiger Hillarp Persson, who's book on the Modern convinced me that the swashbuckling chess archetype is alive and well, and still kicking butt and taking names in the 21st century.

Anatoly Karpov, because I met him at the US Amateur East Chess Championship in New Jersey one year, and I learned that World Champions are people, too, and in his case, a very unassuming and nice guy. I was really in awe that he was just a cool guy, smiling and shaking hands with everyone who stopped him, all the time.

Paul
  3. Standard memberDer Bayer
    The Silver Hammer
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 04:29
    Originally posted by wormwood
    the question was who's your favourite player, not who was the strongest player ever. big difference.
    You are of course right, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. Chess players who aren't among the strongest in history are often forgotten about, and are thus not usually considered among favorites.

I personally like Kasparov because of his attacking style and will to win, not just because of the fact that he was world champion for so long.
  4. Joined
    18 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 07:04
    I have to say, I?m a fan of Carlsen. Something about a teenager breaking 2800 impresses me. Anyone else see the fight between him and Kramnik at the Tal Memorial?

I?ve been a fan of Carlsen´s since his second Corus appearance though. He seems to be the best hope we have of someone dominating the chess world again. He has a positional style, but he almost always looks for active play and he has a tremendous amount of fighting spirit.
  5. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 07:30
    I do very much enjoy the games of Josh Waitzkin
  6. Standard memberBorgov
    King-Flicker
    Leeds, UK.
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 16:411 edit
    David Bronstein - after loosing interest in Chess during my teenage years (girls!) it was digging out and going over his best games book - which is now sadly out of print - that inspired me to take it up again in my early 20’s. I very much regret the gap I took, as I might have been a lot better now.

Morphy, Alekhine and Tony Miles are close seconds.
  7. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 20:59
    My favorite is probably Tal, not just for the wild games and imagination but for his passion for the game. He loved to play and and his books are fantastic (1960 championship and the life and games).

Karpov is probably second, followed by Lasker and Fischer.
  8. Lagos
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 22:02
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Anatoly Karpov, a very unassuming and nice guy. I was really in awe that he was just a cool guy, smiling and shaking hands with everyone who stopped him, all the time.

Paul
    You must have met him at a good time.
  9. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 22:05
    Originally posted by Goshen
    You must have met him at a good time.
    No, he really is a good guy.
  10. Lagos
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 22:081 edit
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    No, he really is a good guy.
    The 1981 World Chess Championship Tournament Book by William Hartston describes him otherwise.
  11. Joined
    10 Oct '09
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 22:12
    I don't have any idols but at the moment David Bronstein would be my favourite because I'm working through and enjoying his Sorcerer's Apprentice.
  12. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 22:13
    The 1981 World Chess Championship Tournament Book by William Hartston describes him otherwise.
    What kind of books are you reading 😲
  13. Lagos
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 22:171 edit
    What kind of books are you reading 😲
    Don't mind me, man. I'm trying to do too much, too soon, in too little time. And I frequently burn out...like now. 😞
  14. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 22:22
    Here's a real villain in action

YouTube
  15. Lagos
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 22:26
    Here's a real villain in action
    Well, no one said he was a villain or mean,etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree