1. Standard memberobliteration
    Net Preneur
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 19:58
    Out of all the GM's there have ever been, who has been your favorite and why?
  2. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 20:30
    Tal for all of his wild sacrifices and Capablanca for his incredible natural ability.
  3. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 20:351 edit
    Originally posted by obliteration
    Talkasparovspasskyfischer is a great attacking player, probably the greatest.
  4. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 20:41
    Why does he/she have to be a GM? That's just plain discrimination. 😠
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 20:55
    He is Morphy, and Alekhine and Tal (Kasparov too). hard to chose.

If there is one then....Hmmm, maybe Alekhine since he is the best of all 😉
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 00:01
    My mom is my favorite chess player and she is not a gm or anything she is a housewife.
  7. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 00:16
    Originally posted by tolikcheturi
    My mom is my favorite chess player and she is not a gm or anything she is a housewife.
    Your choice is touching. But your reason is odd.
  8. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 00:29
    Lasker
    In 1894 he became the second World Chess Champion by defeating Steinitz with 10 wins, 4 draws and 5 losses. He maintained this title for 27 years, the longest unbroken tenure of any officially recognised World Champion of chess. His great tournament wins include London (1899), St Petersburg (1896 and 1914), New York (1924). He would also take great risks.
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 00:42
    Emanuel Lasker!

One of the few grandmasters whose annotations of his losses celebrate the victor. See Lasker's Manual of Chess and his annotations of Pillsbury - Lasker Nuremburg, 1896.
  10. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 22:18
    Paul Morphy. He was the first player to use well founded positional principles in open positions. He kept his techniques secret (unlike Steinitz) so his genius was unappreciated until long after his death. Before him players played only combinatively, and were unable to match him.
  11. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 23:05
    Originally posted by leestatic
    Lasker
    In 1894 he became the second World Chess Champion by defeating Steinitz with 10 wins, 4 draws and 5 losses. He maintained this title for 27 years, the longest unbroken tenure of any officially recognised World Champion of chess. His great tournament wins include London (1899), St Petersburg (1896 and 1914), New York (1924). He would also take great risks.
    Bravo,leestatic! Lasker is also my favorite,because of his fighting spirit,and his view that chess,above all else,is a fight. His must win against Capa at St. Petersburg,1914,still rates as one of the greatest games in history,and one of the greatest pieces of chess "psyching out" that ever was. If I had to select the one player to play the game to save the universe,it would be Lasker,hands down.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 23:26
    Lasker is a great player but as Fischer put it he is a coffee house player. (Fischer is just too accurate in whatever he spits out from his brilliant mind). He always played it for the man and he was able to win scientificly lost games by just playing against the temper of any given opponent. I am not saying Lasker is bad here, I admire him.Fischer thought he was a crappy player and could not survive if he lived today.

A comment from my favorite chess genius Alekhine: ''Lasker was my teacher, and without him I could not have become whom I became. The idea of chess art is unthinkable without Emanuel Lasker''.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 23:35
    Originally posted by mufin78man
    Paul Morphy. He was the first player to use well founded positional principles in open positions. He kept his techniques secret (unlike Steinitz) so his genius was unappreciated until long after his death. Before him players played only combinatively, and were unable to match him.
    I think you are right and I reccomend everybody (who likes open games of course) to study his games. They are just really really really brilliant. Taking it to account that he played 100 years ago it is just impossible that a man like him lived then. Also I have read that he only took 5 minutes for his moves whereas his opponents took 10 hours for a single move since then there was no chess clock available.

But still I like the modern GM Alekhine the most among other alternatives I have mentioned. Namely Kasparov, Fischer, Tal and Morphy. He prepered well for his openings, his tactical blows are still unexplainable, his middle game and engame understanding and play is the best of his time. Most importantly, he out-calculculated everybody including Capa. He is the only World Champion who dies while holding the title. Truly, he is an all around modern GM example in my opinion.
  14. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 00:44
    I hardly know any GM's, but I happen to know one in person. I don't know if many up here ever heard of him, his name is Dimitri Reinderman. I guess he is a favorite if I 'have' to have one.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '05 02:46
    Originally posted by Aiko
    I hardly know any GM's, but I happen to know one in person. I don't know if many up here ever heard of him, his name is Dimitri Reinderman. I guess he is a favorite if I 'have' to have one.
    I recommend you buy Kasparov's last book. It is a 4 book set and *very expensive* but it is just great. You money will not be wasted as it will be a nice classic in your library for years to come.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree