1. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    17 Oct '05 14:06
    I think one of the signs of a really strong player who outdistances his contemporaries by far is the ease and speed in which they analyze a position and formulate their plan. From that standpoint I think Kasparov doesn't belong up there. To me he always seemed to struggle with time, even in matches like with Short when he should have easily produced a winning move. That's why I lean toward players like Fischer, Morphy, Capablanca--by their uncanny ability to pick out the natural and strong moves without much thinking. I don't know whether this was because of natural ability (Fischer didn't consider himself a genius) or pattern recognition or a combination of both but it was enough to intimidate most opponents.
  2. Joined
    28 Jun '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '05 21:34
    My favourite player is without a doubt mister Vladimir Kramnik...what a positionnal killer! At his best, which is not very often these days😞, he is UNBEATABLE!!! Especially with white, he makes very strong grandmasters look like patzers. Serious, give him a minimal edge, he will convert it no sweat. A great player to study for those who love squeezing their opponents to death or outclassing them on the whole board. Sadly, he sometimes chokes won positions in tactical fireworks a.k.a. Shirov!!! Anyways, all in all, he is my favourite, followed closely by Topalov, Ivanchuk (what a chess genuis!), Alekhin and also Petrossian for his prowesses with the French defence and Botvinnik for the Dutch and last but not least in my list of seconds Karpov for his incredible comprehension of the opponents threats and nipping them at the bud (also known as "prophylactic thinking" for the real chess affacionados!) That's all gents, take careπŸ˜‰
  3. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 10:321 edit
    Originally posted by NicotineMan

Also I am more surprised that nobody even mentioned, Karpov and Botvinnik who clearly are stronger than Lasker, Euwe, Capabalanca and many champions or Gms in my opeinion.
    The question wasn't: " who do you think is the strongest chess player ever."
    Thats Kasparov of course.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 10:582 edits
    Exactly. That was not the question. But people still seem to like strong players Fischer even though he is not well-liked, also same with Nazi sypathizer Alekhine (who happens to be my favorite) was a drunk and nobody liked him. They are maybe the strongest players of their time.

I still can argue that Alekhine is the strongest ever (that's why I like him). If Alekhine lived now, with the aid of the technology he would get much better, he would still beat anybody including Kasparov. I like Alekhine, not because he is a favorite man but because he played such great chess and respected chess as a form of art.

Ok. That is from me about the favorite player. I am starting to talk nonsense
    πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
  5. Joined
    19 Aug '04
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 13:00
    Originally posted by buddy2
    I think one of the signs of a really strong player who outdistances his contemporaries by far is the ease and speed in which they analyze a position and formulate their plan. From that standpoint I think Kasparov doesn't belong up there. To me he always seemed to struggle with time, even in matches like with Short when he should have easily produced a winn ...[text shortened]... or pattern recognition or a combination of both but it was enough to intimidate most opponents.
    chess has evolved, capablanca and morphy would not even be in the same league with Kasparov; they would be maybe a 2650. With the possible exception of Fischer, Kasparov is with out a doubt the strongest player ever.
  6. Standard memberCalWriter
    Creative Genius
    Literary Lion Land
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 17:05
    Originally posted by obliteration
    Out of all the GM's there have ever been, who has been your favorite and why?
    Petrosian for his uniqueness, Botvinnik for his approach, Smyslov for his longevity.
  7. Somewhere
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 20:56
    Fischer is my ultimate favorite. Back in his day, he was the absolute best, and it is partly because of him that I got interested in chess.
  8. Standard memberTrains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 23:30
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Emanuel Lasker!

One of the few grandmasters whose annotations of his losses celebrate the victor. See Lasker's Manual of Chess and his annotations of Pillsbury - Lasker Nuremburg, 1896.
    I say Kimstcronosconokivitch, of Yugoslovia.
  9. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    19 Oct '05 15:04
    Fischer!! The only American Champion
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '05 15:381 edit
    πŸ™‚ bobby fischer is the best.
  11. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    19 Oct '05 20:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    15 Apr '05
    Moves
    19 Oct '05 23:52
    Actually, Timman and Euwe are my heroes. Because they did a lot for the dutch chess-sport. But the masterplayers, I often can't understand their moves, that's why they're masters and I ain't. I'm the type of player that discovers an opening by playing it, I don't like to study in books. But when I first played Sicillian defence I heard that I had done 15 moves pure from the theory, while I only had heard/read about the first one. I'm creative, I'm writing stories and songs and I like to play chess on my own creative way.
  13. Standard memberTrains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 01:13
    Originally posted by obliteration
    Out of all the GM's there have ever been, who has been your favorite and why?
    Bowmann....he's got a classy game.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 02:30
    Originally posted by peka
    Actually, Timman and Euwe are my heroes. Because they did a lot for the dutch chess-sport.
    Great players! Great reasons.
  15. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '05 22:10
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    You're stoned.

Fischer was a brilliant chess player. Now he is a pathetic bigot.
    Yes true but I bet many grandmasters also had some qualities about them that many people didn't like that we just don't know about yet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree