1. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 21:39
    Originally posted by smaia
    let me clarify a bit -
    Going clockwise, mark points A, B, C such that AB = BC = CA. (i.e , the triangle is equilateral).
    1- take A: The side opposed to A is BC. Draw a perpendicular line from A to BC. This line will intersect BC at point D - Note that because the line is perpendicular to BC => BD = DC.

2- Now, take the segment AD. Draw a 20 degrees segme ...[text shortened]... .e. the angle ADE is 20 degrees.

3- Link E to C.
    4- Determine angle DEC

I hope this helps
    That's pretty easy. It's 30 degrees...

I am not sure how to get there very well. I think it would be best to look at possible combinations of numbers that equal to 130 that make both triangles BEC and ACE true.
  2. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 21:42
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    As I understand it there is no single answer.

The quotation above has no restrictions on choosing the point E.

You can manage it so that point E is point B, hence the requested angle is 0.

What am I missing?
    That's obviously not true. There is only one triangle. This is not an obtuse case of the law of sines, it's pretty simple if you guess and check, because I am too lazy to plug in the things into internal sums of 180 and then find properties of similar triangles.
  3. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 21:45
    The question is: what is the angle?
    Assume you have a multiple choice test:
    A- 10
    B- 20
    C- 30
    D- 40
    E- 50

Without using a calculator what is the correct answer?
    Obviously C from those choices, DEC is lesser than ECD but more than ACE, and ACE is would work out as 20, so if ECD is 40 than DEC must be 30.
  4. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 00:331 edit
    Originally posted by ParShooter
    50 degrees.

The angle ADE is 20 degrees so its complement, EDC, along the right angle ADC, is 70 degrees. That's one corner of the triangle EDC. The second corner is DCE which, by definition of an equilateral triangle, is 60 degrees. 60 plus 70 is 130. That leaves 180 - 130 for the third corner of the triangle EDC which equals 50 degrees.

This is the fruit of my 10th grade geometry. I am 47 years old now. Thank you Miss Hurst!
    Miss Hurst would be ashamed! You did not get that right!
  5. In Christ
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 03:001 edit
    That's pretty easy. It's 30 degrees...

(@_@)

I wonder if you're all doing it on purpose now, just to annoy me. Again, I refer you to post 47 or 105.

If I see another post declaring that the angle is 30 (or 40 for that matter) without refuting my argument of why it can't possibly be 30 or 40... ... ... I don't know what I'll do, but I won't stand for it!

It's ~32.54! Let's put this to rest already!
  6. Joined
    09 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 May '08 02:39
    Originally posted by alexdino
    first of all CZA and CZE are not oposite angles!
    and second if they were oposite angles (as are CZA and DZE) you can't say that the other angles are equal too!!!

P.S.: smaia if you're reading this please be kind enough to stop this nonsens
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. I apologize, there is no "elegant" solution for the data I provided. Something is wrong with the angles...But this is a famous problem that was once proposed in the math olympics (IMO) and nobody managed to resolve. But the angles are not 30 and 20 degrees.
    I wonder if someone can determine what angles would result in DEC being exactly 30.
    Once again I apologize for making so many people waste their times with a flawed problem. It's a pity because the real problem is really beautiful.
    😞
  7. In Christ
    Moves
    20 May '08 08:31
    I wonder if someone can determine what angles would result in DEC being exactly 30.

Same method, but now QDE is g:

(1) a/sin30 = b/sin(30+g)
    (2) a/sin(60-g) = b/sin60

(2)/(1) => 2sin(60-g) = sin60/sin(30+g)

=> g = QDE = 30

This one could qualify as having an alternate, elegant solution.
  8. Standard memberthyme
    Undutchable
    was here
    Moves
    20 May '08 10:37
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. I apologize, there is no "elegant" solution for the data I provided. Something is wrong with the angles...But this is a famous problem that was once proposed in the math olympics (IMO) and nobody managed to resolve. But the angles are not 30 and 20 degrees.
    I wonder if someone can determine what angles would result in DEC be ...[text shortened]... ir times with a flawed problem. It's a pity because the real problem is really beautiful.
    😞
    Yep it is 32.54381074 degrees, Autocad says so too.
    I didn't calculate it but drafted it so it must be true.

By the way thanks a lot! I went to look up your famous matholympics problem and got to http:\\library.thinkquest.org there I clicked "take the special triangles test" (yes I was bored) and now I am stuck with an infinite succession of little popups on my screen asking me annoying intransparent and possibly personal (it is hard to determine) questions about my hypotenuses and trigoniometric ratios. No matter where I click, the little buggers keep coming back.

Doing math always makes me feel stupid.
  9. Joined
    11 May '07
    Moves
    20 May '08 10:39
    my head hurts!
  10. Joined
    14 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 May '08 13:25
    Originally posted by Jirakon

This one could qualify as having an alternate, elegant solution
    Yes, and also seems much easier than we were led to believe.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree