This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 06:371 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    And no aspersions on you but I see Iran only one up from last place Vietnam. Why didn't Vietnam do better since they are clearly Asian?
    I guess it's a good thing you managed to get out of Iran.
    What educational level do you consider the math questions? Would they be on a Masters level? I would think the problems would be above BA levels but how much higher? Or am I totally wrong about that?

How many math categories were represented by the questions?
    How well would the average maths Phd have done on those questions? would you expect those Phd's to also ace the problems?
  3. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 08:22
    Awesome!!!

Looks like the smartest Chinese and Indians came to America. I wonder why?

Strange though, India didn't make this list. I guess they couldn't get away from work at the Call Centers.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 08:381 edit
    You neglect an important cultural aspect, relating to how likely people are to be interested in competing in the Olympiad. For example, I went to a MIT-level university that had more open places than applicants; my application was a formality. I was never under pressure to compete with other students or engage in extracurricular activities (such as these sort of competitions) in order to distinguish myself from other students. Hence, in Dutch culture these kind of competitions simply aren't as popular. So these results should not (only) be interpreted as a gauge of the level of mathematics education or the likelihood that someone from a certain "culture" is interested in mathematics.
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 12:23
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    You neglect an important cultural aspect, relating to how likely people are to be interested in competing in the Olympiad. For example, I went to a MIT-level university that had more open places than applicants; my application was a formality. I was never under pressure to compete with other students or engage in extracurricular activities (such as the ...[text shortened]... education or the likelihood that someone from a certain "culture" is interested in mathematics.
    True, self-respecting "MIT-level grads" would never be seen wading in the shallows of these insignificant forums.

Before boasting of alleged grad-school math prowess, please provide specific qualifying credentials. Otherwise, your opinion will be given the consideration and seriousness normally reserved for a profit-driven trade school.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 12:38
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    True, self-respecting "MIT-level grads" would never be seen wading in the shallows of these insignificant forums.

Before boasting of alleged grad-school math prowess, please provide specific qualifying credentials. Otherwise, your opinion will be given the consideration and seriousness normally reserved for a profit-driven trade school.
    My bad - I must've taken a wrong turn at the intersection between insignificant and significant forums.

I could tell you that I am an academic with a PhD in theoretical quantum physics. Or that could be made up in order to impress some senile Americans. One can never be sure these days.
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 13:20
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    My bad - I must've taken a wrong turn at the intersection between insignificant and significant forums.

I could tell you that I am an academic with a PhD in theoretical quantum physics. Or that could be made up in order to impress some senile Americans. One can never be sure these days.
    Touche' on both counts!
    I'm American and I'm impressed. πŸ™‚
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 18:463 edits

9. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 19:132 edits

10. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 19:302 edits

11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 19:451 edit
    Thanks for answering that, I know I would MAYBE solve the very first one, but that would be itπŸ™‚
    So who are the people making up the problems? Are they fields metal winners or some such?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 19:502 edits

13. RSA
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 20:12
    I would guess it's something to do with common factors. 21n/14n where n is a natural number will always have common factors 7 and n. However, 4 and 3 have no common factors other than 1, which doesn't count for the purposes of simplification. I think that adding 4 and 3 to the numerator and denominator respectively of a fraction that is already simplifiable means that it can no longer be simplified, as 4 and 3 have no common factor.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 20:27

15. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '18 20:32

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree