1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 02:411 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Here is a piece about a chess and math prodigy, entering UCLA at age of 14, rated 2491!

YouTube

And a third year math student, Julia Ruscher:

YouTube
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 03:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 05:00
    I wonder if Terence plays chess also?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 06:242 edits
    In your opinion? Which is worth something between Jack and sh%t, and Jack's out of town

You just keep showing your extreme ignorance.

If you persist in labelling my , actually perfectly reasonable solution, as 'barely correct' you are showing a basic lack of knowledge.

Your best plan would be to stick to the 'my solution is a neater one than yours' argument. That bit IS true,, sadly for you, I never disputed that.

I simply offered an alternative solution.

And no one can take that away from me.

Talking of which, th e sadly obsessed lap dog is back, maybe you can teach him how to change the subject of formulae in tricky things like V = I/R

Oh yes, your continued refusal to answer/comment on the saddo who thumbed down my first post on here is noted.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 09:09
    Edit - it was my 2nd post on the thread that was mysteriously thumbed down by person unknown

How is something 'barely correct'

surely it is either correct, or it is incorrect
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 09:34
    Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
    I see you edited

Do I?

If you would like to produce a counter example where 1/(14n + 3) or
    3 minus that expression CAN be simplified (choose your 'n' from infinity integers), then I will withdraw.

Do I need to explain why 1 over an integer cannot be cancelled?

Or that n/(an +/- 1) cannot be simplified, a being any integer ?

Ho ...[text shortened]... eed full explanation and mine does?

Now then, this thumbs down. Ok. I will ask

Was it you?
    The algebra is correct. However, it is not at all clear to me that your argument works. You've rewritten the equation roughly as follows:

F(raction) = (ac - 1)/bc = (1/b)(a - 1/c)

Having factorized the equation and made a simplification in the first term it is not obvious you've got any right to make a claim about the reducibility of F, as it was originally written, based on the irreducibility of 1/c.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 09:58
    Lets try

the 1/2 is irrelevant, as that is 'used up' if you recombine the '3 - 1/(14n + 3)' to produce the original expression. Try it.

Now concentrate on the '3 - 1/(14n + 3)'

14n + 3 is an integer, so let us replace it with N

3 - 1/N = (3N-1)/N

i referenced this earlier. I assume you are familiar with the fact that (3N -1)/N is in its simplest form? Cannot be cancelled?

3 x an integer minus 1 (or plus 1) over the integer will never cancel.

(Indeed, a x an integer plus/minus 1 ove r the integer ( a = any integer also) will not cancel either)

Hope that helps a little

I would , of course, have explained all of this also to the learned sages who mark the Maths Olympiad, and hope to score 1/7
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 18:28
    Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
    Lets try

the 1/2 is irrelevant, as that is 'used up' if you recombine the '3 - 1/(14n + 3)' to produce the original expression. Try it.

Now concentrate on the '3 - 1/(14n + 3)'

14n + 3 is an integer, so let us replace it with N

3 - 1/N = (3N-1)/N

i referenced this earlier. I assume you are familiar with the fact that (3N -1)/N ...[text shortened]... plained all of this also to the learned sages who mark the Maths Olympiad, and hope to score 1/7
    I checked the algebra before I posted and do not need to "try it". You've now got a fraction (3N - 1)/N. Suppose N is odd. Then (3N - 1) is even and the factor of 2 you've discarded divides it. You insist that this factor is irrelevant on the grounds that it's 'used up', the problem is this language, it really isn't clear what you mean.

You need to clearly state that you added a factor of 2 to the numerator in the initial rewriting, so that the cancellation with the external term is just an artifact of the method. The reader shouldn't be required to decode your intention, I had to even after your repeated clarification. There's a similar difficulty with Duchess's method in that she invokes Bezout's identity but insists on not naming it, even in her later clarifying post.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 20:002 edits

10. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 20:11

11. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 20:261 edit

12. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 20:31

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 20:512 edits

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 21:191 edit

15. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 21:22
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    [b]I checked the algebra before I posted and do not need to "try it". You've now got a fraction (3N - 1)/N. Suppose N is odd. Then (3N - 1) is even and the factor of 2 you've discarded divides it. You insist that this factor is irrelevant on the grounds that it's 'used up', the problem is this language, it really isn't clear what you mean.
    It is to me . I am not a Maths teacher, I just explain as best I can what is patently obvious to me. Sorry if that falls short of your expectations, but , frankly I don't care.

I would agree with your criticism of D64's method to a point, but again, despite her/he being in full aggressive mode at the moment, I would say that in a forum in which Maths is being discussed at some reasonable level of competence, it isn't necessary.

I fully understood the proof D64 presented a couple of pages ago and, I think, complemented the said poster.

You sometimes wonder why you bother

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree