Age of the earth

Age of the earth

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
09 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
Man are you thick.

I learned early on at rhp that you dont discuss your spiritual ideas unless they fit in with current scientific thinking. If a well founded theory denies your theory then you lose. Full stop .

These other guys are just being too nice I think. I remember get drilled by the likes of sharkman and twitehead.
There is a chance in ...[text shortened]... eories are faulty but until you come up with something better, my money is on science everytime.
So putting it into human terms.

Do you not think that God could construct the perfect computer model for the big bang and model every aspect of the universe would turn out up to the exact point of creation? Do you not think that God would then want to create that perfectly modeled universe when bringing this universe into being?

Do you not believe that an all powerful all knowing God would be able to create such a universe?

If this is true, then those who determine the age of the universe are simply following God's model back to the model's original time. In the case of the high diver, following the equations back to negative time back to ground level.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
09 Oct 17

Originally posted by @eladar
So putting it into human terms.

Do you not think that God could construct the perfect computer model for the big bang and model every aspect of the universe would turn out up to the exact point of creation? Do you not think that God would then want to create that perfectly modeled universe when bringing this universe into being?

Do you not believe that an all powerful all knowing God would be able to create such a universe?
Yes "God" could create a universe like that, but not the universe described by ..err. you.

Either "God" created a universe consistent with our scientific findings or science is wrong and "God" created Adam and Eve,etc.

You cant have both

E

Moves
09 Oct 17

Yes "God" could create a universe like that, but not the universe described by ..err. you.

Either "God" created a universe consistent with our scientific findings or science is wrong and "God" created Adam and Eve,etc.

You cant have both
Science is simply dating back what had already been created. The fault isn't with science, but assumptions about things that were never witnessed.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
09 Oct 17

Science is simply dating back what had already been created. The fault isn't with science, but assumptions about things that were never witnessed.
It's true science does mainly measure and classify things. (observe things)

Are there things beyond science? I believe so.
Will they forever be beyond science? I dont think so.

Unlike religious thought, which remains more or less the same, scientific thinking will change as we make new discoveries.

E

Moves
09 Oct 17

It's true science does mainly measure and classify things. (observe things)

Are there things beyond science? I believe so.
Will they forever be beyond science? I dont think so.

Unlike religious thought, which remains more or less the same, scientific thinking will change as we make new discoveries.
So you think that Science can uncover God if God doesn't want to reveal Himself?

If God is doing the revealing, then Science isn't doing it.

w

Moves
09 Oct 17

Science is a method, not a religion. Stop conflating the two.

E

Moves
09 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @wildgrass
Science is a method, not a religion. Stop conflating the two.
Science is valid for what it observes. If it is not directly observable, then it is just a natural explanation.

Once you take the step that it invalidates a religious belief, now you have entered the realm of religion. Once you claim that the natural explanation is true and not simply an explanation, youhave entered the realm of religion.

You are correct, Science is a method. That's exactly what I have been saying. People simply do not recognize the limits of those observations and turn it into a part of their religion.

w

Moves
09 Oct 17

You are correct, Science is a method. That's exactly what I have been saying. People simply do not recognize the limits of those observations and turn it into a part of their religion.
In my experience, most people do recognize the limits of science. Put the "know" in one basket and the "don't know" in the other. Refine and adjust the "know" based on new information and techniques. Whittle away at the "don't know" with innovative, testable hypotheses. Keep conclusions within reasonable limits and allow for the possibility that you are wrong.

E

Moves
09 Oct 17

In my experience, most people do recognize the limits of science. Put the "know" in one basket and the "don't know" in the other. Refine and adjust the "know" based on new information and techniques. Whittle away at the "don't know" with innovative, testable hypotheses. Keep conclusions within reasonable limits and allow for the possibility that you are wrong.
So in your experience people do not claim that Science disproves Creation as described in Genesis?

w

Moves
09 Oct 17

So in your experience people do not claim that Science disproves Creation as described in Genesis?
Genesis is a series of commands, not really relevant to science. I've always liked it, personally, as a metaphor.

If you really want to keep at this though: Point me to a testable hypothesis in Genesis, and we can apply the scientific method.

E

Moves
09 Oct 17
1 edit

Genesis is a series of commands, not really relevant to science. I've always liked it, personally, as a metaphor.

If you really want to keep at this though: Point me to a testable hypothesis in Genesis, and we can apply the scientific method.
Why should I be asked to defend a religious belief that can't be disproven by science?

Answer this yes or no question please.

Can science disprove the creation account found in the Bible?

Personally I couldn't care less about your personal religious beliefs.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
10 Oct 17

u`uOriginally posted by @eladar
So you think that Science can uncover God if God doesn't want to reveal Himself?

I dont know how to tell you this , but here goes :

There is no god as you imagine.
Rest assured your mind is in a good place trying to work this out ...

you are trying to work it out aren't you? 🙂

E

Moves
10 Oct 17
1 edit

I dont know how to tell you this , but here goes :

There is no god as you imagine.
Rest assured your mind is in a good place trying to work this out ...

you are trying to work it out aren't you? 🙂
You are welcome to your beliefs.

Do you believe scientific explanations of the origins of life are any more than a natural explanation?

w

Moves
10 Oct 17

Can science disprove the creation account found in the Bible?
No it cannot. Science does not care. You are convoluting things again. Science deals with science, not declarations and decrees.

w

Moves
10 Oct 17

Why should I be asked to defend a religious belief that can't be disproven by science?
You shouldn't. Why do you feel the need to defend it?