Age of the earth

Age of the earth

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
16 Oct 17

Originally posted by @eladar
If nothing was expected to be learned, other than to become curious, how could one fail?

Oh wait, there was an exam based on actual knowledge to be acquired.
The expectations were those of the student himself, not those imposed by the educational system. Some students thrived in that environment, namely, those who were self-motivated to learn all that they could. Some students set their goals higher than what the university would otherwise have expected, and attained them; others set them lower. It worked quite well in the humanities. It is probably unsuited for something like surgery; I definitely want to know that my surgeon knows where my pancreas is before he cuts me open.

h

Moves
16 Oct 17
1 edit

If nothing was expected to be learned, other than to become curious, how could one fail?
Let me help you with your confusion; being curious generally DOES lead to learning so something IS expected to be learned.

In your case failure would be easy archived as you don't want to be curious about what disproves your religious beliefs.

E

Moves
16 Oct 17

Originally posted by @humy
Let me help you with your confusion; being curious generally DOES lead to learning so something IS expected to be learned.

In your case failure would be easy archived as you don't want to be curious about what disproves your religious beliefs.
What proof is there that something was learned?

There must be some form of evaluation.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 Oct 17

In the US lunch is usually the breaking point. After lunch classes are less productive.

How would you know if Norwegian schools do well without exams?
From a movie by Michael Moore, whom you undoubtedly hate:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4897822/

"Where to invade next'.

A review by Ebert:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/where-to-invade-next-2015

E

Moves
16 Oct 17

Originally posted by @sonhouse
From a movie by Michael Moore, whom you undoubtedly hate:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4897822/

"Where to invade next'.

A review by Ebert:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/where-to-invade-next-2015
Why would I either like or hate him?

I have no opinion on him at all.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 Oct 17

Why would I either like or hate him?

I have no opinion on him at all.
Then you as a teacher should in fact watch this film. It is an eye opener. Even something as simple as school lunch, other countries actually feed their kids real food cooked by real chefs. Of course in the US that would never happen, how DARE they give nutritious meals to children, it would break the budget to do that here, I can hear the politicians cry.

E

Moves
16 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @sonhouse
Then you as a teacher should in fact watch this film. It is an eye opener. Even something as simple as school lunch, other countries actually feed their kids real food cooked by real chefs. Of course in the US that would never happen, how DARE they give nutritious meals to children, it would break the budget to do that here, I can hear the politicians cry.
It would be as a political activist. I care not for political activism. I know you care about it which is why you want all opposing views shut down.

By the way, your news about kids needing more sleep is over a decade old. I'm surprised you felt the need to share it. Maybe it was new to you.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Oct 17

It would be as a political activist. I care not for political activism. I know you care about it which is why you want all opposing views shut down.

By the way, your news about kids needing more sleep is over a decade old. I'm surprised you felt the need to share it. Maybe it was new to you.
That movie is not just about politics. You should watch it.