Age of the earth

Age of the earth

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
13 Oct 17

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
No.Dont take that it anywhere.

Eladars views r not spiritual. Oftentimes they are downright counterintuitive.
Yet he thinks we are exactly the same. He really is ignorant and closed minded.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Oct 17

Originally posted by @eladar
Yet he thinks we are exactly the same. He really is ignorant and closed minded.
Who's that ? Moonbus?

E

Moves
13 Oct 17

Who's that ? Moonbus?
Yes

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Oct 17

Yes
I highly doubt that. So are we finished here?

The age of the earth is not really important .

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Oct 17

I highly doubt that. So are we finished here?

The age of the earth is not really important .
Except to those deluded enough to think it 6024 years, 5 months and 3 days old....
The problem there being a majority view of the bible belt in the US and therefore part of the political movement to force creationism to be taught along side evolution in a science class AS IF IT WERE A SCIENCE. Part of the greater goal of eliminating evolution entirely from the curriculum with the further goal of turning the US into a christian version of Iran.
There is a fine cadre of individuals fighting that tooth and nail and so far have succeeded. There have been countless lawsuits already done by these young Earthers trying all kinds of tactics to force judges to make judgements in their favor. I think the latest version, after Intelligent Designer lawsuits failed, was freedom of information or some variation thereof.

If it was just some random dude on a church pulpit saying all this it would be one thing, a random nut but when an entire region of the US believes this craziness, politics rears its extremely ugly head.

THAT is the real fight going on about the 6000 year old Earth.

Über-Nerd

Moves
14 Oct 17

sonhouse is quite right that there is a political agenda behind Creationism. It has been documented in the book "Why Darwin Matters, The Case Against Intelligent Design," by Michael Shermer. The author is an ex-creationist who reveals the political machinations behind the pseudo-science; he jumped ship when he realised what was really going on.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Oct 17

Originally posted by @sonhouse
Except to those deluded enough to think it 6024 years, 5 months and 3 days old....
The problem there being a majority view of the bible belt in the US and therefore part of the political movement to force creationism to be taught along side evolution in a science class AS IF IT WERE A SCIENCE. Part of the greater goal of eliminating evolution entirely fro ...[text shortened]... ears its extremely ugly head.

THAT is the real fight going on about the 6000 year old Earth.
Oh Dear, Yes thanks for reminding me ...

I mean there are Christians and then there Crazy Cook Christians. I just dont understand why people only believe in their version of god. It's not good enough to just say all the other religions are wrong.
and posting in the science forum is like oranges and apples...
🙁

E

Moves
14 Oct 17

Why do you guys get off on what other people believe?

E

Moves
14 Oct 17
1 edit

Tell me a reason why I should believe it is important to know how old the earth actually is.

Why is important for anyone to know how old the earth is?

I must agree that it is a good reason and makes knowing the age of the world is important.

h

Moves
15 Oct 17
4 edits

Tell me a reason why I should believe it is important to know how old the earth actually is.
Nobody here I am aware of told you it is important.
And some people here I am aware of have already explicitly told you it is NOT important.
And yet YOU made this thread title "Age of the earth" so clearly YOU think it is important.

Why do YOU believe it is important to know how old the earth actually is?
Actually you do not think it is important to "know" how old the earth "actually" is but rather you think it is important to "believe" how old the earth is, not how old it actually is.
I think we can all guess why; Obviously it is important to you to have blind faith that the Earth's age is consistent with your religious beliefs and you are afraid that the proven fact of the Earth being old contradicts you religious beliefs, which it does.
You just don't get old-Earth doesn't go against normal Christianity because there is no need to take every word of the Bible literally.

Über-Nerd

Moves
15 Oct 17
2 edits

Originally posted by @humy
Nobody here I am aware of told you it is important.
And some people here I am aware of have already explicitly told you it is NOT important.
And yet YOU made this thread title "Age of the earth" so clearly YOU think it is important.

Why do YOU believe it is important to know how old the earth actually is?
Actually you do not think it is important to " ...[text shortened]... against normal Christianity because there is no need to take every word of the Bible literally.
Point of order: Eladar did not start this thread, vivify did. Eladar joined in later.

Point taken, however, that certain branches of Christianity, especially Protestant Fundamentalists and Evangelicals, do put great emphasis on certain dogmatic points, specifically the inerrancy of the Bible. And so for them, it does matter how old the Earth is. Mainstream Christianity has long since abandoned the literal interpretation of Genesis and accepts that evolution really happened and that deep time is real. Mainstream Christian doctrine holds that God started life (no commitment when, but earlier than 6,000 years ago) and guided evolution.

h

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @moonbus
... Eladar did not start this thread, vivify did. Eladar joined in later.
woops. My error.

Über-Nerd

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @humy
woops. My error.
It happens. No biggy. Roll with the punches.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
15 Oct 17

I've not read this entire thread but I believe that the numbers are merely symbolic.
They're just quoted to represent a long time.
Other examples are Methusilah living 900 years or something and Jesus spending 40 nights in the wilderness.
The problem as someone said earlier is creationism and the conflicts it causes.
I don't think anyone today believes the world was created by a bloke with a long beard sitting on a cloud but unshakeable religious beliefs are the cause of much of the worlds problems today.
By the way I am an Atheist.

E

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @moonbus
Point of order: Eladar did not start this thread, vivify did. Eladar joined in later.

Point taken, however, that certain branches of Christianity, especially Protestant Fundamentalists and Evangelicals, do put great emphasis on certain dogmatic points, specifically the inerrancy of the Bible. And so for them, it does matter how old the Earth is. Mainstr ...[text shortened]... at God started life (no commitment when, but earlier than 6,000 years ago) and guided evolution.
Are there any of those people in this discussion?

If not, why bring it up other to see if you can get others to join your circle jerk?