Age of the earth

Age of the earth

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @eladar
Are there any of those people in this discussion?

If not, why bring it up other to see if you can get others to join your circle jerk?
Do you deny creationism has been weaponized with the goal to force creationism to be taught along side evolution in a science class? In the bible belt states, I am talking about.

E

Moves
15 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @sonhouse
Do you deny creationism has been weaponized with the goal to force creationism to be taught along side evolution in a science class? In the bible belt states, I am talking about.
Why should either be taught in schools? Neither is proven true, just unproven beliefs.

Seems to me schools should not be used to teach beliefs which then are considered truth by so many.

h

Moves
15 Oct 17
1 edit

Why should either be taught in schools?
One is proven scientific fact and thus should be taught in schools while the other is unproven religion thus shouldn't.

E

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @humy
One is proven scientific fact and thus should be taught in schools while the other is unproven religion thus shouldn't.
How can one have a discussion with a true believer?

Über-Nerd

Moves
15 Oct 17

Why should either be taught in schools? Neither is proven true, just unproven beliefs.

Seems to me schools should not be used to teach beliefs which then are considered truth by so many.
Education is not for filling minds up with truths, as if minds were just passive buckets. Education is for firing curiosity and teaching people to think logically and critically.

E

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @moonbus
Education is not for filling minds up with truths, as if minds were just passive buckets. Education is for firing curiosity and teaching people to think logically and critically.
If this is true, then there would be no such things as tests in schools.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Oct 17
1 edit

Some countries, like Norway, does exactly that and have a much better educated student as a result, no homework to take home, school starting a couple of hours later so teenagers and pre-teens can get more rest since they need it because of their growing bodies using up so much of their energy.

You say you teach math. Do you teach early in the morning? If so, do you see signs of kids being sleepy? If you do, that is because it has now been shown kids need more sleep.

So you claim to not believe in either creationism or evolution? How do life forms change then? Do you deny the fossil record showing intermedian changes in the timeline? You think that means nothing?

So you, as a math teacher and not an anthropologist or geologist, claims to know more about their discipline than you? If so, on what basis? Your extensive examination of fossils?

Über-Nerd

Moves
15 Oct 17

When I did my B.A. at UCSC, it was pass/no record (they may have instituted tests with grades by now). I got good enough recommendations from my professors to be accepted to do graduate research at Cambridge (East Anglia, not Massachusetts). There were no tests there either.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
15 Oct 17

Originally posted by @venda
I've not read this entire thread but I believe that the numbers are merely symbolic.
They're just quoted to represent a long time.
Other examples are Methusilah living 900 years or something and Jesus spending 40 nights in the wilderness.
The problem as someone said earlier is creationism and the conflicts it causes.
I don't think anyone today believes th ...[text shortened]... ligious beliefs are the cause of much of the worlds problems today.
By the way I am an Atheist.
Apparently some people stil believe in the bearded cloud sitter.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
15 Oct 17

How can one have a discussion with a true believer?
SF?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
15 Oct 17

Some countries, like Norway, does exactly that and have a much better educated student as a result, no homework to take home, school starting a couple of hours later so teenagers and pre-teens can get more rest since they need it because of their growing bodies using up so much of their energy.

You say you teach math. Do you teach early in the morning? ...[text shortened]... re about their discipline than you? If so, on what basis? Your extensive examination of fossils?
Upon enrolling my kid to high school the principle there skipped past his academic results and went straight to the 'behaviour and attitude part of his report card. I think only the last 2 years count towards his tertiary ed scores.

E

Moves
15 Oct 17

You say you teach math. Do you teach early in the morning? ...[text shortened]... re about their discipline than you? If so, on what basis? Your extensive examination of fossils?
In the US lunch is usually the breaking point. After lunch classes are less productive.

How would you know if Norwegian schools do well without exams?

E

Moves
15 Oct 17
1 edit

When I did my B.A. at UCSC, it was pass/no record (they may have instituted tests with grades by now). I got good enough recommendations from my professors to be accepted to do graduate research at Cambridge (East Anglia, not Massachusetts). There were no tests there either.
How could you fail without evaluations?

Über-Nerd

Moves
15 Oct 17
1 edit

How could you fail without evaluations?
Failure was not on the menu. Either one passed, or there was no record of one's having taken a course. It was sort of a hippie experiment. I was there in the '70s.

PS There were written text evaluations for those who passed, but not letter grades. Some students protested that they wouldn't get into grad schools without letter grades; I think some profs offered letter grades to students who wanted them. It was a great system for self-motivated students to get a top-notch education (half my profs were Oxbridge educated); it was also a playground for slackers to do nothing, get college credits, and delay conscription (VietNam). Ah, the halcyon days of my youth ... The locals knew UCSC as "Uncle Charlie's Summer Camp." LOL.

E

Moves
15 Oct 17
1 edit

Failure was not on the menu. Either one passed, or there was no record of one's having taken a course. It was sort of a hippie experiment. I was there in the '70s.

PS There were written text evaluations for those who passed, but not letter grades. Some students protested that they wouldn't get into grad schools without letter grades; I think some profs o ...[text shortened]... Ah, the halcyon days of my youth ... The locals knew UCSC as "Uncle Charlie's Summer Camp." LOL.
If nothing was expected to be learned, other than to become curious, how could one fail?

Oh wait, there was an exam based on actual knowledge to be acquired.