Age of the earth

Age of the earth

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @eladar
You really can go on and on and say absolutely nothing. You are full of so much prejudice combined with so little knowledge.
Thought experiments are an integral part of scientific research. Ever hear of Einstein? He tried to imagine what it must look like to travel at the speed of light. Ever hear of the Theory of Relativity? He developed it by doing that thought experiment.

I grant that my thought experiment is too long and tedious to read through. So I'll just summarise it for you: Creationism explains nothing. It simply replaces a big mystery by an Even Bigger Mystery With Capital Letters.

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Oct 17

Originally posted by @humy
In my book I am writing, I will give a mathematical proof that Occam's razor is valid
...only to then, ironically, explain why we so often mustn't use it.
A vindication followed by a condemnation.
I bet that will make some readers wonder where I am going with this; the answer is I don't know myself....at least not yet.
Well, just don't cut yourself shaving with that razor! 😉

E

Moves
12 Oct 17

Originally posted by @moonbus
Thought experiments are an integral part of scientific research. Ever hear of Einstein? He tried to imagine what it must look like to travel at the speed of light. Ever hear of the Theory of Relativity? He developed it by doing that thought experiment.

I grant that my thought experiment is too long and tedious to read through. So I'll just summarise it f ...[text shortened]... nothing. It simply replaces a big mystery by an Even Bigger Mystery With Capital Letters.
It is based on a faulty understandong of reality.

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Oct 17

Sorry, I don't know what "it" you are referring to there.

E

Moves
12 Oct 17

Sorry, I don't know what "it" you are referring to there.
Your thought experiment.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Oct 17

I just hope you don't brainwash your little students away from science. My own teacher, one of them anyway, at the First Lutheran school in El Monte California did just that but we were above average students and we just looked at each other and grinned whenever Mr George T Schlicting started his anti science tirade.

E

Moves
12 Oct 17

Originally posted by @sonhouse
I just hope you don't brainwash your little students away from science. My own teacher, one of them anyway, at the First Lutheran school in El Monte California did just that but we were above average students and we just looked at each other and grinned whenever Mr George T Schlicting started his anti science tirade.
Unlike liberal teachers, I just teach my subject. I don't use my position to brainwash kids to believe as I believe. I wish liberal teachers were as honorable.

If you believe having an open mind and understanding the limitations of the naturalistic explanation is being brainwashed, you have serious issues. Seeing your rebellion against what you learned in childhood, you must have experienced many things and I doubt you have worked out those issues. There is still much hate in you.

h

Moves
12 Oct 17

Unlike liberal teachers, I just teach my subject. .
I take it these 'liberal' teachers are 'liberal' for not bothering to include your personal theistic religious teachings in the subject of maths.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Oct 17

Unlike liberal teachers, I just teach my subject. I don't use my position to brainwash kids to believe as I believe. I wish liberal teachers were as honorable.

If you believe having an open mind and understanding the limitations of the naturalistic explanation is being brainwashed, you have serious issues. Seeing your rebellion against what you learned ...[text shortened]... nced many things and I doubt you have worked out those issues. There is still much hate in you.
Well I commend you for that. Leave the ideologue at home, teach math, great idea. I know a lot of teachers don't feel that way.

But your idea of liberal sounds off base. What I know of liberal is compassion for the little guy. You don't see that in right wing conventions. You see hatred of ANY gun control, no matter a half million people a year get wounded or killed by guns, including my own father and my step father wounded and my mother wounded by a robber gang.

They just don't give a shyte HOW many people get killed by gunfire, 'guns don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people' Of course, but what if the most lethal weapon you can get is a BB gun, how many people would be alive now if that were the case?

You brand liberals as tax and spend, but republicans want zero government the less the better the better to gather the bribe money so corrupt back room deals can go through just like in Russia. The main reason Russia hates open democracies is precisely that, less ability to do back room bribes. It is also what republicans realize will be a GREAT money maker. For them. Nice golden, hell, platinum, parachute, Got 20 mil in a Cayman Isand bank and as soon as I can quit this stupid senator job, it's Aruba here I come'.

Liberals want to make sure people get decent health care. Under the old republican regime of the 80's, 20 million had no insurance at all. Screw those bums, they are all on the dole anyway, the sooner they friggiing die, the less we have to deal with.

Now they want to go back to EXACTLY what we had before.

Trumpf talks about tax reform, giving big breaks to companies and a pittance to people. The analysis of that clearly shows, guess who wins in THAT contest. Hint: Not the little guy.

Republicans want small government, which I call Abrogation of Responsibility. Senators and congressmen have a frigging DUTY to put their constituents first and companies second but that is NEVER on the minds of republicans.

It's ALWAYS companies first, screw the little guy. 10 dollar minimum wage? What the HELL? You want the US to go bankrupt?

Prove me wrong.

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Oct 17

Your thought experiment.
Well, never mind then. It was just a long-winded variation on wildgrass's model a,b,c example.

w

Moves
12 Oct 17

Which limits it to how nature works, nothing more.
Yes of course. This is the famous false assumption you've been yammering about?

E

Moves
12 Oct 17

Originally posted by @wildgrass
Yes of course. This is the famous false assumption you've been yammering about?
Yes

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Oct 17

Yes
Well then, shall we start taking apart the false assumptions, inadequate data base, selective vision, and faulty logic of your religion?

You say science cannot prove that God did not create the universe. That is true. Neither can science prove that all the devils in hell did not create the universe.

That is no reason to believe that devils did create it. It is also no reason to believe that God created it.

E

Moves
12 Oct 17
1 edit

Well then, shall we start taking apart the false assumptions, inadequate data base, selective vision, and faulty logic of your religion?

You say science cannot prove that God did not create the universe. That is true. Neither can science prove that all the devils in hell did not create the universe.

That is no reason to believe that devils did create it. It is also no reason to believe that God created it.
You can't, that's the point. You might think you can, but that would be based on your point of view therefore invalid outside of those who agree with you. In other words, only true when viewed by circular reasoning.

People should ne allowed to nelieve as they wish and distiction made between fact amd beliefs.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Oct 17

How is that different from believing you're going to heaven because you believe in Jesus?

Just because you believe Yahweh really exists and Santa Claus doesn't, doesn't make it so. Take it to Spirituality. This is the science forum.
No.Dont take that it anywhere.

Eladars views r not spiritual. Oftentimes they are downright counterintuitive.